Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Bike - Outdoor Storage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:29 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: New Bike - Outdoor Storage Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I passed my CBT earlier this week and have just placed an order for a Honda CB125F. Very Happy

Sadly, I have no garage but live in a quiet and safe area with a private driveway. I plan to keep the bike on the driveway. Please, no comments about potential theft.. life is inherently risky and I accept this with keeping it outside. I am asking around to see if I can rent a garage off a neighbour but in the event that fails, I've only got my driveway - which already has a car on, but there is space for the bike.

Current plan is to have a waterproof cover over it and lock it with an Oxford Beast Lock and Chain, as well as the Abus Ganite Victory 68 X-Plus disk lock.

Does anyone have any better ideas (please don't say keep it in a garage Laughing ) or can you recommend any decent covers to buy?

Is there any specific maintenance or preventative measures that I should take to look after the bike?

Thanks in advance for any advice. [/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slather it in ACF50.
Get a ground anchor.
Get a properly thick chain and a good lock.
Lock it through the frame, not just one of the wheels.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:37 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Slather it in ACF50.

Sounds like a good idea. Are there any drawbacks to using it?

Quote:
Get a properly thick chain and good lock

Yep - already sorted. See original post Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Get a ground anchor.

Thumbs Up
Lock the bike to something if possible, and try to keep the chain off the ground to make it harder to tackle.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:
Slather it in ACF50.

The bike smokes a bit on the first run out, looks more dramatic than it actually is Smile Might not play nice with old rubber:

https://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle/newacro/ACF50%20Motorcycles_Hints%20&%20Tips.pdf

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:44 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
Yep - already sorted. See original post Thumbs Up

You've mentioned Oxford, which is almost the same as leaving the keys in the ignition. Razz

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
You've mentioned Oxford, which is almost the same as leaving the keys in the ignition. Razz

lmao poor Oxford Crying or Very sad

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:
Slather it in ACF50.

yes - it's vewy dangewous if you get it on your brake pads, your rotors (or inside your drum), and pretty much any of your other brake components where fluid can run onto pads &/or discs

this is obvious - but it can be quite hard to avoid sometimes

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

an alarm might be useful too.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

lmao poor Oxford Crying or Very sad

Myth busting:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/oxford-beast-22mm-chain-lock-review

Quote:

Bolt cropper attack: GOOD

Sledge hammer attack: GOOD

Angle grinder attack: OUTSTANDING

Resistance to attack: chain

As is to be expected of a chain of this size, bolt croppers wouldn’t touch it. It’s good to also see that, while a sledge-hammer attack is unlikely, I was unable to break this chain, even when using a length of railway track as an anvil and with plenty of time and space.

An angle-grinder is the only real way this chain will be beaten, and cut times are up there with the best we’ve tested.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Consistency on the product range lacks though. It took me about a minute to destroy one of their cheaper chains with a built in lock (keys at other end of country), few blows to the lock and it pretty much disintegrated.

As long as they sell utter tat alongside decent stuff they'll be remembered for the tat. Way I see it the issue that creates with security products is the thieves will view Oxford branding as an easier option so more likely in a row of bikes to deploy the grinder on the Oxford chain.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
arry wrote:

Consistency on the product range lacks though. It took me about a minute to destroy one of their cheaper chains with a built in lock (keys at other end of country), few blows to the lock and it pretty much disintegrated.

As long as they sell utter tat alongside decent stuff they'll be remembered for the tat. Way I see it the issue that creates with security products is the thieves will view Oxford branding as an easier option so more likely in a row of bikes to deploy the grinder on the Oxford chain.

I know this is on a slight tangent off topic, but I thought thefts of motorcycles was going down? Embarassed

Before I got into biking and started looking at bikes I seen parked in public, I was worrying about the bike being stolen but I noticed that loads of bikes around here, especially in Glasgow city are totally unchained or using no disc locks. The riders just leave them parked. I used to chain the bike and put a disc lock on it when I was at the shops or whatever but now I just put a disc lock on. When I get a bike that can accept one of those Roadloks and that's all I will use to avoid rollaway theft.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

True enough. I have an Oxford chain in the garage that was given to me by the guy that sold me the R NineT - it was the ONLY chain he used on the bike when sat in his garage, and TBH I sort of laughed at it and thought may as well not bother Laughing

Thing is though, it's ~£30 new I think. There is clearly a market for cheap, casual theft deterrent security. The likes of Pragmasis don't make something like that, so are unlikely to be affected by poor reputation. But Oxford sell them - and people buy them. Is it Oxford's fault that people want a cheap option? Seems harsh to penalise them on that.

Their top end products are quite simply as good as, and cheaper than, their competitors.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
. Is it Oxford's fault that people want a cheap option? Seems harsh to penalise them on that.

It's not their fault and I agree with you it seems harsh. However if they want to feed that cheap market (and I'll bet it's the biggest market by a good margin) then they need to (they probably already do) accept the fact the taint it causes to the brand will upset the sales of the better stuff.

I'd imagine a marketing nightmare to fix that too, not like you can run a campaign of, "It's better than our cheap crap" or "Now Toffee Hammer Proof". Laughing

I think their primary market (cross product not just chains) is new or occasional riders who will settle for "acceptably functional" in exchange for low prices and not gambling on unknown eBay stuff.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:10 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone.

In response to the Oxford Beast chain and lock being cheap.. They cost £100 each! That's £200 for a lock and chain and another £100 for the Abus Granite Victory 68 disk lock. That's £300 of locking equipment on the bike.... not cheap in my opinion, but money well spent.

Checkout the LockPickingLawyer videos on YouTube for these exact locks.. You'll soon see that these locks are not cheap pieces of rubbish.

Abus Granite Victory 68 - https://youtu.be/Csa01fsnCQE

Oxford Beast Lock - https://youtu.be/bIC0x8OSNzg[/list]

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:

In response to the Oxford Beast chain and lock being cheap.. They cost £100 each! That's £200 for a lock and chain and another £100 for the Abus Granite Victory 68 disk lock. That's £300 of locking equipment on the bike.... not cheap in my opinion, but money well spent.

Checkout the LockPickingLawyer videos on YouTube for these exact locks.. You'll soon see that these locks are not cheap pieces of rubbish.

LPL is amazing and I subscribe to him but nobody steals bikes by picking their fucking locks: they just brute force it. Disc lock is pointless if they can use an angle grinder to cut through the shackle/ shaft of the lock or simply cut the disc itself.

It's presence is the only deterrence to theft in occasions where another bike nearby has either no lock or a more readily attackable lock. It's the reason why I like the Roadlock device: even if they cut the disc at both sides of the lock, they would still need to cut the device off the brake calliper itself and since it shares the bolts that bolts the calliper to the bike - the calliper is going to come off too.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

I'd imagine a marketing nightmare to fix that too, not like you can run a campaign of, "It's better than our cheap crap" or "Now Toffee Hammer Proof". Laughing

I think their primary market (cross product not just chains) is new or occasional riders who will settle for "acceptably functional" in exchange for low prices and not gambling on unknown eBay stuff.

Easy - create another brand for the low-end - they could call it 'Abingdon'

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, ACF50 is only a problem on things that need grip. So before applying, cover the wheels, pegs, gear/brake foot levers, handlebars and controls plus remove the seat (then you can spray underneath). I use a roll of decorator's plastic sheeting and completely wrap the wheels, secured with masking tape. position sheets around the bike before you start so the inevitable overspray/drips don't mean your bike is parked in a super slippery patch afterwards.

Security; multiple layers always wins. Chain, disclock, cable-lock. Ideally something alarmed, some disclocks are. Cover. Properly installed anchor, so make sure the substrate it's going into is solid. Concrete is best. If attaching to a brick wall, try and get more than one brick involved in the anchoring. You'll probably need an SDS drill for the holes in whatever you're drilling as they're usually quite beefy, or are prepared to spend ages with a combi drill.

Out of sight, out of mind always helps - any way to get it into your back garden, assuming you have one? A 125 is light and easy to move about. I'd still apply the same security considerations though.

Something else, they're not cheap and judging by what a colleague has said, difficult to obtain at the moment too, but you can get purpose-made metal storage sheds for bikes. These would be even better as they'll provide decent weather protection too, with the ability for a wet hot bike to dry out easily (I'm always slightly nervous about a wet hot bike under a cover - all that hot moisture-laden air is likely to percolate everywhere on the bike and condense moisture as it cools).

FWIW I think Oxford make a diverse range of kit; some is better than others, but it's not all naff. Money spent on security is well spent - if it gets cracked, it wasn't enough and you'll have to buy more. Really good heavy duty stuff is less likely for a thief to attempt to break, in which case it becomes a long term investment. That said, if they want the bike enough they'll take it.

Last thing; consider CCTV/camera of some sort, looking down on the bike. Every little helps. Even a dummy is probably better than none at all for discouraging toerags, although professional thieves will be able to tell.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:09 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:

It was more tongue in cheek.

What are you chaining it to.

My chain cost just short of £300, the lock was costly too, but the bike was also in a garage which has the same lock. They still wanted it Laughing

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:00 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
So before applying, cover the wheels, pegs, gear/brake foot levers, handlebars and controls plus remove the seat (then you can spray underneath).

Thanks for the advice. Since learning about ACF50 on here, i've watched a few YouTube videos and think i've got it sussed now. I've already placed an order for some.

ThunderGuts wrote:
Out of sight, out of mind always helps - any way to get it into your back garden, assuming you have one? A 125 is light and easy to move about. I'd still apply the same security considerations though.

We have a small garden which is already filled with my son's play equipment. If I keep the bike through the winter, rather than trading up in the event I pass my DAS in August, then i'll see if I can shift some things around to store it in the garden. [/quote]

ThunderGuts wrote:
Purpose-made metal storage sheds for bikes. These would be even better as they'll provide decent weather protection too, with the ability for a wet hot bike to dry out easily

If I keep the bike over the winter, i'll try and get one of those air chambers for the garden as I believe they practically eliminate the chance of rust occurring with constant airflow running through and of course, keeping the bike dry.

ThunderGuts wrote:
CCTV/camera of some sort,

Good idea.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1