Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thoughts and opinions of Radweld?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Thoughts and opinions of Radweld? Reply with quote

I have a leaky radiator.

Should I use this or not?

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:10 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a try, I reckon.

I'd be reading the instructions carefully - no silicates etc. (most bikes) just to see if they suggest use/don't use.

Not effective against holes, but a bit leaky ...

After that - an ordinary (car) radiator repair place will do a good job.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bars Leaks works better than Radweld.

It's an American product but can be found in UK.

https://www.bighealey.co.uk/bars-leaks-135ml-ccht950

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:39 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless I was in the middle of nowhere and needed to get home. Fix it properly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:58 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works reasonably well for the first year or two and then needs to be redone.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless I was in the middle of nowhere and needed to get home. Fix it properly.

This^ +1 .
My previous experience with it on car & van engines tells me to get the leak sorted.
Gummy, gunky, lumpy sh*te just waiting to get in the wrong places Folded arms Tut Tut .

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid, can cause issues in future. best to just fix the problem properly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egg whites are cheaper than the chemical muck.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Taste better as well. Keep your engine well fed and happy. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Egg whites is a temporary fix that usually becomes a disaster as it needs a lot of hens on the job and for the whites to be well mixed with the water.
And then the time taken to cook them.
Constantly topping up using another big of the mix until the mix in the engine cooks.

It will get you out of a bind.

Proprietary products are a bit better and simpler to use.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Egg whites is a temporary fix that usually becomes a disaster as it needs a lot of hens on the job and for the whites to be well mixed with the water.
And then the time taken to cook them.
Constantly topping up using another big of the mix until the mix in the engine cooks.

It will get you out of a bind.

Proprietary products are a bit better and simpler to use.

Call me old fashioned but I consider Radweld, Barrs and eggs all temporary fixes intended as nothing more than to get one out of a bind, the preferable route is to fix the problem with non-leaky parts and avoid gumming up with crap a fairly important operational part of one's engine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Call me old fashioned but I consider Radweld, Barrs and eggs all temporary fixes intended as nothing more than to get one out of a bind, the preferable route is to fix the problem with non-leaky parts and avoid gumming up with crap a fairly important operational part of one's engine.

Dear Old Fashioned, I've used them all for years.

Egg doesn't work as well as proprietary stuff. I've only used it when stuck in a desert.
Pepper is probably the worst Old Wife's Tale. (Desert use too)

Radweld works, but can be difficult to get it to work if you are unsure of how it works. Doesn't gum or plug unless not used properly as it stays in solution.

Bars in my experience, work very well. Easy to use and doesn't plug if used properly.

These are all temporary. But since a few products remain in solution they offer a longer term short'term fix.

But ultimately, radiators normally fail when worn.
Even a soldered fix, if possible, only holds until the next hole.

Epoxy repairs etc, same.

I've fitted hundreds of radiators. Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Thoughts and opinions of Radweld? Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
I have a leaky radiator.

Should I use this or not?

Depends on the bike to some (a large) extent.. Age, value, your commitment to it (bodge for quick sale) etc..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Thoughts and opinions of Radweld? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
(bodge for quick sale) etc..

I like your thinking. Cool

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised nobody has recommended using one of these:
https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/d781fed7f79dc069f26dcbeb98b1f140/c/c/cce_19_single.jpg

Tried Radweld numberous times on cars (and other similar branded products), all work fine as a temp fix on radiators and split hoses but despite claims on the back of the packaging have never had any success with head gaskets. I found Abro to be the best of the bunch but required the system to be drained and refilled with fresh water as it doesn't work with coolant in the system. More agro than its worth as Radweld seems to do a decent enough job. So yeah, just to echo what everyone else has said ok for a temp fix but a replacement rad shouldn't be too expensive or difficult to fit?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Surprised nobody has recommended using one of these:
https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/d781fed7f79dc069f26dcbeb98b1f140/c/c/cce_19_single.jpg

Tried Radweld numberous times on cars (and other similar branded products), all work fine as a temp fix on radiators and split hoses but despite claims on the back of the packaging have never had any success with head gaskets. I found Abro to be the best of the bunch but required the system to be drained and refilled with fresh water as it doesn't work with coolant in the system. More agro than its worth as Radweld seems to do a decent enough job. So yeah, just to echo what everyone else has said ok for a temp fix but a replacement rad shouldn't be too expensive or difficult to fit?

Replacement Rad for my K1300. £500.

You like Bavarian apples don't you?
Very Happy

Impossible to find non-OEM for these bastirts so I had to by from the Bosch. Sad

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, £500 for a genuine rad. They're not small items. Ok so the cost is not inconsequential but it's fair for the product I think. Unlike the genuine Ford heated wing mirrors on my old Mk6 Tourneo which were in excess of £70 just for the glass, not the whole assembly! Then the new Custom model came out and they were only £17 genuine from the dealer. WTF?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 01 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Dear Old Fashioned, I've used them all for years.

Egg doesn't work as well as proprietary stuff. I've only used it when stuck in a desert.
Pepper is probably the worst Old Wife's Tale. (Desert use too)

Radweld works, but can be difficult to get it to work if you are unsure of how it works. Doesn't gum or plug unless not used properly as it stays in solution.

Bars in my experience, work very well. Easy to use and doesn't plug if used properly.

These are all temporary. But since a few products remain in solution they offer a longer term short'term fix.

But ultimately, radiators normally fail when worn.
Even a soldered fix, if possible, only holds until the next hole.

Epoxy repairs etc, same.

I've fitted hundreds of radiators. Wink

Should I be thanking you for expanding on my post and resetting it as a short essay? Confused Laughing

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 01 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shite bodge, Its the stuff someone uses to sell a car/van on with an issue,
Do the job right , it may be a pita at times, but it will work and last and not cause further issues later.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 01 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Should I be thanking you for expanding on my post and resetting it as a short essay? Confused Laughing

You are welcome Sir. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1