Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I think SV650s are better than GSXR400s

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: I think SV650s are better than GSXR400s Reply with quote

Debate Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this a weird way of coming out?

notabikeranym...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Suzukis in general and would never own either but I think SV650s are better than GSXR400s

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:08 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR 400 = little pocket rocket.
SV650 = workhorse.

I’d guess that parts for the SV650 might be less difficult to obtain??
Why a GSXR 400? Why not just get a GSXR 750/1000 ?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I hate Suzukis in general and would never own either but I think SV650s are better than GSXR400s

Depends on the use case. I'd go for the 400 any day, but if I was looking for that class if prefer a VFR400....

The 650 is great for newer or shorter riders.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:21 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to check the date to make sure this wasn't a thread from 20 years ago.

SV650 is a hateful thing to ride. GSXR400 is unlikely to start in the first place.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC my review of the SV650 was "perfectly adequate" Neutral

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:20 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650 with sorted suspension is a weapon. No matter what year, shape or what have you.

A GSXR400 of any vintage will now be old enough to have f*cked suspension, but sought after enough to cost more than an SV650. Also in terms of tune-ability, a GSXR400 will be pretty much at it's limit, whereas the SV has mucho potential with big bore kits and the like. There are rumours it was designed to be an 800 or 900 from the outset.

So for performance per £ SV650 every day of the week. If I wanted to go racing, I'd definitely be looking at minitwins. If I wanted a troll trackbike to show up the S1000RRs and the like, it'd be an SV650. I'd spend £1500 on an OK ish one, 500 on a shock and fork bits and have a larf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVs are ok. They just need more power. And a suspension upgrade. And a more comfortable seat. And a better finish. Beginners bike and/or cheap hack territory as they stand.
My perception* (since I haven't ridden any of the small rev bombs) is that bikes like the GSXR400 for me are just an inadequate way of finding 2T-type thrills. They rev, sure, but when you wind that throttle on, does anything much happen?

*i.e. I accept that I could be wrong.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sv650 post 2016 or sv650s?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:39 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not compare budget sports commuter with budget sports commuter?

I think the GPZ500 was a better bike than the SV650...

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If forced the GSXR, assuming like for like condition it'll be the most fun. Price of what I'd consider good condition though, get a 600 SRAD for less. Equally by the time you tune the motor and sort out the springs at each end of an SV you may as well have just bought something better initially.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Thinking I loved my GPZ, but that's a big call.

Slower (though only a little bit), arguably worse suspension, definitely worse brakes, worse ground clearance with centre stand.

I suppose the GPZ was always more than the sum of it's parts, you can't quantify fun!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:38 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Thinking I loved my GPZ, but that's a big call.

Slower (though only a little bit), arguably worse suspension, definitely worse brakes, worse ground clearance with centre stand.

I suppose the GPZ was always more than the sum of it's parts, you can't quantify fun!

I think it would win in a straight-up race too. While the SV has more power on paper and a theoretically higher top speed, when a GPZ is on-cam, it goes like a scalded cat.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:00 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I think it would win in a straight-up race too. While the SV has more power on paper and a theoretically higher top speed, when a GPZ is on-cam, it goes like a scalded cat.

I know that's not true.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:09 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I know that's not true.

Presumably based on the same quality of evidence that makes me say I know it is true?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I think you should go back and try a GPZ500 without the rose tinted glasses on, they are painfully slow compared to an SV650 which has 50% more power.
They also have a horrible hateful unreliable under powered engine.

Now I feel dirty, I've agreed with Marjay.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:26 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I think you should go back and try a GPZ500 without the rose tinted glasses on, they are painfully slow compared to an SV650 which has 50% more power.
They also have a horrible hateful unreliable under powered engine.

Now I feel dirty, I've agreed with Marjay.

I was basing it on riding one with mates who had SV650s who tried and failed to keep me in sight, and I'm honest enough to say it's not because I'm a better rider than them. It's more like a 10bhp difference (based on manufacturers claimed power output)

Did you ride many GPZ5s? They were a totally different animal to an ER5, not even the same ballpark in terms of performance.

The original engine from my old GPZ5 is still on the go. It had done about 70k miles when I passed it on. It's now in a KLE frame in my mates survival bike. I reckon it wont be far off having gone round the clock.

As it happens, I do get the chance to ride it occasionally and while it is significantly down on power compared to when it was in full GPZ trim (tops out at about 110mph, the KLE airbox is about 1/3 the volume and it's on knobblies), it still gives anyone who rides it a nice little surprise. The usual comment is along the lines of "That thing is way faster and more fun than it has any right to be.".

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wider the tyre, the greater the lean angle required to get around the same corner.

On the road, you don't want to be at the maximum lean angle. It's less comfortable to ride when leaned right over, and for very good reason. If you're too leaned over when riding on the road, you don't have much margin for error. Taking a left-hand bend, for example, with limited forward visibility because of a tall hedge or line of trees, you need that margin, in case someone is in your path of travel and you need to change your line. So, instinctively, it should feel easier to hustle a narrow-tyred GPZ500 around that corner at 60mph than an Ego Hoss.

Our personal sense of exceptionalism aside, and whether we each individually have got over our Batman and Superman conditioning yet, we are, statistically, very likely to be average road riders, regardless of what we ride. I know that nobody wants to hear it, and a Yamaha 125 these days is styled to look almost exactly like an R1, but in reality, most of us fall within the normal distribution and are around the mean level in ability.

Therefore, all other things being equal, there are many situations in which a GPZ500 or an ER5 (which also has good handling, although not as good) can easily keep up with or even get there (wherever "there" is) quicker than riders on much more powerful bikes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread appears to have been inspired by a GSXR-400 fan accusing Meef of willy waving on the 1000s vs. 600s thread.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:47 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Thread appears to have been inspired by a GSXR-400 fan accusing Meef of willy waving on the 1000s vs. 600s thread.

Oh right.

I bet he's not as upset as the NC30 fanboi on a facebook group who I told if someone put a VFR400 and an RD 400 in front of me and offered me the keys to either for a couple of hours, I would choose the RD.

His initial thing had been that no matter what bike he came home with, his always Dad said his had been better... I pretty much agreed with his Dad.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:52 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day my best mate had a later shape GPZ500S. I had an SV650SK2. The SV650 blew it away.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The wider the tyre, the greater the lean angle required to get around the same corner.

Unless you make the tyre taller. But that's another thread.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Bhud wrote:

Unless you make the tyre taller. But that's another thread.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the tyre width got to do with anything? The lean angle is about balancing the forces (i.e. the acceleration away from the straight line) when you go around a corner - I don't see how the tyre width comes into that?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the tyre width got to do with anything? The lean angle is about balancing the forces (i.e. the acceleration away from the straight line) when you go around a corner - I don't see how the tyre width comes into that?

Watch from 1:54 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3-AE1yfibs

It's very interesting stuff. Not just this but all the physics surrounding bikes.

In many cases, you need a bigger contact patch for very good reason: i.e. the bike is capable of putting down a lot of power, and you don't want to break traction in the rain, or on the autobahn, or on the track, or in all sorts of situations where most of us don't ride. However, in most cases, it's my conjecture that if we take track riding at any level completely out of the equation, as well as things like riding on greasy roads or in the snow, then, on the roads we find in the south of England at least, on the days when we ride for leisure as people who are most likely average riders, we're probably only using a maximum of 40-60hp on the road, the vast majority of the time when riding (i.e. 95%+). I think this raises interesting implications about the relevance of the handling characteristics of a bike vs the engine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2