Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First day and... what could go wrong?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: First day and... what could go wrong? Reply with quote

So after a long time I decided to ride again... I took my bike to work, was happy how easy it was to find a parking space... all cool, right? Dance! Nice quiet place on hospital grounds to park, not many people walk there..

https://i.imgur.com/g2me7xn.png

Then 8 hours later I came back to this...

https://i.imgur.com/fYbk5h1.png

FFS.. On the first day! People can't have anything nice these days. Nobody wanted the bike next to mine... no... they decided they want 16 year old bike instead!

I'll ride bicycle to work from now on Rolling Eyes

Anyway, other than that it was nice to ride again. I want to forget year 2020.. how bad that year was it shows on my MOT Certificate lol..

https://i.imgur.com/GeXMDET.png

My bike:

https://i.imgur.com/6Umpl2Y.png

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read out the MoT certificate... even the wife went "awwww Sad"

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I read out the MoT certificate... even the wife went "awwww Sad"

Yeah, it was worse than I expected.. even MOT tested pointed that out.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am confused, was bike stolen or just attempted?

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polo wrote:
Am confused, was bike stolen or just attempted?

Ah.. yeah.. sorry.. I didn't make it clear.

Bike is still with me.. They failed to steal it. I don't know if it was because they needed better tools or maybe somebody interrupted them.. I don't know that.
Bike security wasn't great... only that on the picture + Xena disc lock. I didn't carry Almax with me, way too heavy.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cables with multiple strands are no match for battery powered cutting discs but are tough going with the hacksaw they might have tried to use by the look of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, glass half full, that was a good day. A 'professional' scrote would have had a disc cutter as opposed to a poundland crimper. Thumbs Up
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:08 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: First day and... what could go wrong? Reply with quote

Musketeer wrote:
Nobody wanted the bike next to mine... no... they decided they want 16 year old bike instead!

Yeah but which would you want to take? Razz

It's time to get a better lock.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:16 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you checked for CCTV coverage? It's usually pretty extensive on NHS property. They would probably want to know about theives wandering about the place, motorbikes aren't the only nickable things there.

That looks to me like someone had a go with bolt croppers so if they see the same person again and the police catch them with a set of bolt croppers down their jacket, they can do them just for going equipped, they don't even need to catch them in the act.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So you checked for CCTV coverage? It's usually pretty extensive on NHS property. They would probably want to know about theives wandering about the place, motorbikes aren't the only nickable things there.

That looks to me like someone had a go with bolt croppers so if they see the same person again and the police catch them with a set of bolt croppers down their jacket, they can do them just for going equipped, they don't even need to catch them in the act.

CCTV is all over the place... It's weekend and it was my last day of work this week. I'm going to speak to my manager on Monday first thing in the morning.

Last edited by Musketeer on 18:30 - 24 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: First day and... what could go wrong? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Yeah.. I need something good but not too heavy so I can carry it in my backpack. Not easy.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:33 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: First day and... what could go wrong? Reply with quote

Musketeer wrote:
Ste wrote:

Yeah.. I need something good but not too heavy so I can carry it in my backpack. Not easy.

In fairness, the lock successfully resisted that attack.

One piece of advice I was given was carrying two, less big but different types of lock is better than one big one. Thieves will usually only have one means of attacking a lock so if you have say a cable AND a U-lock, they could get through one but not the other.

Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube rated the Kryptonite 1515 pretty highly. It took him a good 4 minutes to open it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: First day and... what could go wrong? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube rated the Kryptonite 1515 pretty highly. It took him a good 4 minutes to open it.

And that with his skill, in ideal conditions, your average tea leaf will take longer. Or break out the grinder.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:57 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: First day and... what could go wrong? Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

And that with his skill, in ideal conditions, your average tea leaf will take longer. Or break out the grinder.

If it takes LPL 4 minutes to open a lock, it is nigh on impregnable. Most of his videos are under 3 minutes long and this usually includes talking about the lock, picking it/opening it and dismantling it afterwards to show you how it works.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that it was your first day taking the bike, and you've not had one before this for a long time, I'd say the attack happened because the parking spot is a hot spot rather than it being a direct attack on you or someone that wanted your bike specifically. Just happened that yours was there when they turned up and looked the nicest. Its a sports bike, after all, doesn't matter how many years old it is. Shiny and fast.

Firstly get yourself a Monimoto. If they shake the bike, or manage to steel it and wheel it away, you'll get alerted via your phone via call from the device. I wont post more specifics given its a public forum, but the general knowledge of how it works is out there. Better than nothing.

Plenty of cheap alarms on eBay or J&S do one that's very similar (I searched "motorbike alarm" to get that and similar results).

You could probably get a Kriega US-10 on that rear seat and carry security in that.

I'd hazard a guess you could put a Pragmasis D-Lock through the front wheel and disc (16 mm thick - the shortest length one). Rear sprocket looks useless so probably just an el-cheapo disc lock on the rear disc if the holes are big enough.

You could get a 13 mm pragmasis chain if you want to carry it about and don't like the idea of a 16 mm. The 13 mm can be cut by bolt croppers, but I believe is better than most of the shelf offerings in local bike outlets. I think it not being in shops is half the reason their any good (doesn't give t-leafs the time to study and figure out a good way to attack when they encounter one on their rounds).

I'd park it somewhere else if you can. The huts great for weather protection, but htat little yellow fence further up in the picture looks like it would be better because you could park your bike sidewards against it and loop a chain through it, the rear wheel and swingarm and then put a chain around the front wheel to the fence. Again the hut looks great but it doesn't really offer any great security apart from saying "look t-leaf, here are where bikes are guaranteed to be."

I wouldn't use the chain they've attack again. They'll just come back to the weakened spot and be half-way there before they've even begun.

Get yourself an oxford umbratex cover if you can.

If that loop on the bottom r/h of the hut is what you've chained the bike to then I'd be looking round for better parking spots. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike is outside my house. I have a disk lock, a chain and... well that would be telling but suffice to say it's a ritual to go out and come back from a ride. Human nature would say that's an unnecessary even paranoid hassle but 5 mins locking/unlocking everything relative to likely hours of enjoyment on the road? I'd say it's worth it.

Get a decent chain, think about the best way to carry it with you. "Noooo! I can't put a topbox on a racing bike!?!" okay, should you be daily commuting on it then?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:34 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they have kindly given you a ground anchor too, id be tempted to just to haul the chain in there one day, and leave it locked around the main frame. Then just use it any day you are there.

Sucks though... scum everywhere!

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:36 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you get a large 19 or 22mm chain and leave it there? Extra expense I know, but I have a 19mm chain at home in the garage and a 22mm Oxford Beast that I leave in London, attached to a stantion permanently so I don't have to carry it round.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving chain there is a good idea Thumbs Up

I noticed that's what people do.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Firstly get yourself a Monimoto.

Is that not essentially just one of these in a different casing, large markup and with a possibly unnecessary monthly sub? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153861882772?epid=12042199148&hash=item23d2e20394:g:pTUAAOSwIuNeag9Z

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:21 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Lots of blind spots at most NHS premises.

Definitely report it to security. That bike shed looks like it's in a relatively quiet location. Are there any areas outside the main entrance you can chain it up? I always park mine near any entrances, especially now as you need a valid reason to enter a hospital they have put security on all entrances, good visual deterrent.

I also always put a cheapo cover on mine as well to make sure it isn't easy to see what it is. As silly as it sounds I also alter my way of going into work, cycling etc. In my mind it stops anyone getting a pattern of when/where my bike will be there. Laughing

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not park to one side, then you can lock the rear wheel to the frame of the shelter too?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make use of the additional security provided to you by the hospital. They have CCTV, patrols, and a good relationship with the local police. It may not surprise you to hear that trying to steal the vehicles of hospital staff during a pandemic is unpopular, so the police would be interested in catching such scrotes and trying to make an example of them. Good press coverage from that sort of thing.

Also, you had the disc lock as well as the chain, so well done. Even if they had been tooled up to get through the chain, it's a different set of tools and skills to get past a disc lock. That means more obvious stuff to carry, more time, and more noise.

Also worth mentioning that your average bike thief is not a professional that can get past any and every security device. More likely bored kids, or addicts stealing to support a habit. If they had the skills to get past all kinds of security devices, they would either be high end thieves stealing to order, or gone legit. A profession in security pays well.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:39 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave my chain 'at work' but inside, and have that cheapy one with you also. Have both using it during the day.

I don't leave my chains out now, not after someone superglued the lock so I couldn't use it, another instance where someone stripped back the sheath, used cable ties to replace the metal link they chopped out and make a quick rob of the bike...

If its that bad however, just get the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2