Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

bikes you've owned with late clutch bite points

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: bikes you've owned with late clutch bite points Reply with quote

Have you owned any bikes where the clutch's friction zone feels like it's too far out on the lever? Most of the bikes I've owned it seems like it's in an intuitive part of the span - pretty much in the middle. But on a cbr600f i had it always felt too far out, ditto a w650. I wondered if anything could be done about it, but apparently not. Obviously, after a few miles, you're used to it and it doesn't matter - but swapping from a bike that's more like most other bikes - i.e. the bite point is where you'd naturally expect it to be - it's a bit of a pita to start with.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

KWCFC
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about far out but my FZ6 biting point is tiny... Especially compared to the Bandit I learned on.

I stall alot Laughing

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Bikes with late clutch point Reply with quote

My W650 now 20 years old bite point same, been that way since I got it with 4000 miles, makes you want to check clutch free play !

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Electra had a clutch that felt like it was only interested in the first bit of movement. Found an adaptor that's used in motocross, but never got a chance to try it out before the bike was nicked and torched.

https://www.24mx.co.uk/motocross-parts/frame--chassis-parts_c387/wires--brake-lines_c396/easy-clutch-system_pid-UNI-T004
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an hydraulic clutch on the Thunderace. the biting point is to far out for my liking, right near the end of the leaver travel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 03 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Bikes with late clutch point Reply with quote

tadge wrote:
My W650 now 20 years old bite point same, been that way since I got it with 4000 miles, makes you want to check clutch free play !

yeah at first i was paranoid it was really worn or there was something wrong with it - but as you know fine well, that's just how they are

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the adjuster on the lever, use it. Often an adjuster at the engine end as well. They move the bite point.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the W650 any available adjustment is primarily for free play and tends not to affect bite point much at all.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
On the W650 any available adjustment is primarily for free play and tends not to affect bite point much at all.

If you put more slack in the cable it brings the bite point back to towards the bars.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XT660Z Tenere as standard has the bite point right out on the end of the lever. I've got a clutch reducer as someone linked above on it to make it feather light off road. I've adjusted the clutch in so the bite point is closer to the bars, makes it a much more comfortable ride!

My R1 has the bite point towards the end of the lever but its got a Barnett carbon clutch in it with a Barnett spring conversion top plate as well so its far from standard. I've not ridden it properly yet so we'll see how I get on with it!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1