Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Broken rollers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bazzaboy2010
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:23 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Broken rollers Reply with quote

August 2020 I bought some new rollers and belt from max Honda spares on eBay. Well yesterday I broke down and at full throttle I have hardly any revs and no drive. Got the bike back home and took a look if the belt was broken which clearly would not of being any thing to do with the Rev problem anyway. But the belt was ok. But wha5 I could not believe which you will see in the picture is the state of the rollers that was removed. So now I am worried that because they look like this it is now ruined my engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has that ruined the engine?
I only see 4 rollers where's the other two?

looks like a case of buy cheap buy twice to me
Best case, new rollers
Worst case, just buy a new cvt set and fit it.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:22 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap parts off ebay. Tell meall about it.

New lower arms for my car "Quinton Hazell" brand ( used to be a respected parts brand) Original arms> 18 years. Replacement arms 8 months - rubbers perished to fuck.

Motorbike fork gaiters- perished away before I even finished doing the bike up.

Conclusion The Chinese have some way to go where rubber products are concerned.

Bazzaboy09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:15 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I have no revs after this happen?

Only took photo of the 4

WD Forte wrote:
How has that ruined the engine?
I only see 4 rollers where's the other two?

looks like a case of buy cheap buy twice to me
Best case, new rollers
Worst case, just buy a new cvt set and fit it.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the subframe OK?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:07 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzaboy09 wrote:

Because your engine was trying to spin a transmission full of broken parts. Replace all the broken bits with decent bits and it should be fine.

On a scooter, stuff going wrong in the gearbox will not affect the engine. Two different things bolted together. They don't even share an oil supply, because the gearbox runs dry.

Bazzaboy09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:32 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Bazzaboy09 wrote:

Because your engine was trying to spin a transmission full of broken parts. Replace all the broken bits with decent bits and it should be fine.

On a scooter, stuff going wrong in the gearbox will not affect the engine. Two different things bolted together. They don't even share an oil supply, because the gearbox runs dry.

There must be another problem then that has happen at the same time. Bike will not start now and it seems it's running to rich. That's why in thought it was maybe of knocked my timing out has you have to turn the variator to get the correct timing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crank and valve gear are not dependant on the variator The variator is just a convenient way to turn the crank and thus the valve gear

Its the the same as using the back wheel to turn the engine.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:57 - 07 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the transmission all fixed? If not, fix that before you go looking for problems with the engine. If the variator is in pieces then you're trying to start it with a seriously light flywheel. Engines don't like to run at low speed with little or no weight in the flywheel.

Always fix the problem you know about before you go hunting for more. Otherwise you go down the slippery slope and end up with a bike in its component pieces strewn across your garage floor, and up with the fun or daunting task (depending on your point of view) of putting it all back together.

Bazzaboy09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put back together and still got the problem

Robby wrote:
Is the transmission all fixed? If not, fix that before you go looking for problems with the engine. If the variator is in pieces then you're trying to start it with a seriously light flywheel. Engines don't like to run at low speed with little or no weight in the flywheel.

Always fix the problem you know about before you go hunting for more. Otherwise you go down the slippery slope and end up with a bike in its component pieces strewn across your garage floor, and up with the fun or daunting task (depending on your point of view) of putting it all back together.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go back to basics: with the belt/variator off take out the spark plug and turn over the engine by hand. Rotating smoothly? After that it's check for spark and fuel...

Bazzaboy09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:26 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like the broken rollers did fxuk the engine.

Easy-X wrote:
Let's go back to basics: with the belt/variator off take out the spark plug and turn over the engine by hand. Rotating smoothly? After that it's check for spark and fuel...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:51 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fuck.

There's no chance that the rollers did that.

Bazzaboy09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they jammed when I was going around 50mph. Then maybe it did.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Holy fuck.

There's no chance that the rollers did that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:31 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzaboy09 wrote:
Well if they jammed when I was going around 50mph. Then maybe it did.

No it wouldn't. The top end would have stopped at exactly the same rate as the crank.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight bit of stress on the engine... pop! there goes the Chinesium casting Wink

£20 for a rocker arm assembly?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Slight bit of stress on the engine... pop! there goes the Chinesium casting Wink

£20 for a rocker arm assembly?

It would rely on the valve and rocker being stronger than the casting for the piston to twat it and the casing break before the valve and rocker.

This wouldn't happen.

I'm betting the fucker siezed due to bad manafacturing/luck and the rollers getting twatted as a result.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flat spots on the rollers are a normal wear pattern for rollers that didn't roll but were sliding instead. Out of interest did you grease the rollers before fitting? There are two sides to the argument, one says to grease and one says not and to be honest I'm not sure which is right.

The top end damage wasn't caused by the rollers, it was caused either by the piston hitting a valve or lack of lubrication to the top end. As the cam caps look like they are bolted down fine it is unlikely caused by a bad casting.

Nothing here really helps you out, you will only find the cause as you strip the engine.

What scooter was it?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzaboy09 wrote:
Well looks like the broken rollers did fxuk the engine.

sickpup wrote:
The top end damage wasn't caused by the rollers, it was caused either by the piston hitting a valve or lack of lubrication to the top end. As the cam caps look like they are bolted down fine it is unlikely caused by a bad casting.

Perhaps at or immediately prior to failure, the disintigrating rollers allowed the engine to overspeed. No rev limiter on a CVT scooter. It's a credit to fine Chinese craftsmanship that it did not suck a valve. Upon disassembly, inspect for piston to valve contact, bent connecting rod, camshaft and pushrod damage. You might consider finding a used engine rather than address the collateral damage. Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Perhaps at or immediately prior to failure, the disintigrating rollers allowed the engine to overspeed. No rev limiter on a CVT scooter. It's a credit to fine Chinese craftsmanship that it did not suck a valve. Upon disassembly, inspect for piston to valve contact, bent connecting rod, camshaft and pushrod damage. You might consider finding a used engine rather than address the collateral damage. Wink

Except that doesn't work. Engine speed controls how far the rollers are flung out, the rollers do not control the engine speed.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the mechanism beyond the rollers. The rollers control the position of a sliding sheave which drives the belt at various ratio dependent on engine speed. The sheave in turn drives the rear wheel which is the load that limits engine rpm. Once the rollers are destroyed, all load on the engine was lost. Without load, the engine is permitted to accelerate uncontrolled until kapow!! (bad things happen) Crying or Very sad It is a balanced system, and I agree that rollers do not control engine speed directly. But the speed ratio of the variator and rolling resistance do limit engine speed.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Without load, the engine is permitted to accelerate uncontrolled until kapow!! (bad things happen) Crying or Very sad

Limiter should stop it passing redline though, they do have them when I built up shite-ped the limiter was what stopped my dreams of going really fast/blowing the thing up Laughing

I lunched many rollers in that ped too without killing anything else. Just loss of power and embarrassing limp home.

Wonder if the rockers are standard, you can get some shockingly shit "perfomance", parts for GY6 clones. I've seen oval barrels and pre-cracked heads. Gash grade metal for rocker blocks wouldn't surprise me.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Consider the mechanism beyond the rollers. The rollers control the position of a sliding sheave which drives the belt at various ratio dependent on engine speed. The sheave in turn drives the rear wheel which is the load that limits engine rpm. Once the rollers are destroyed, all load on the engine was lost. Without load, the engine is permitted to accelerate uncontrolled until kapow!! (bad things happen) Crying or Very sad It is a balanced system, and I agree that rollers do not control engine speed directly. But the speed ratio of the variator and rolling resistance do limit engine speed.

It can't happen, the belt will slip instead.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1