Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is Labour finished?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

No, never heard the term "communist broadband" before. What was that?

What kind of communities do you think we should be investing in?

See above.

Regarding investment, consider that about 700 libraries have been closed in the past ten years. That's the tip of the iceberg. Policing slashed, local government budgets slashed. Surestart centres mostly gone. Youth centres seem to be a thing of the past.

And given the wanton spending and corruption that has happened over the past 2 years, I think the austerity/"not enough money" argument is well past its sell by date.

There's nothing wrong with saying "when will the government buy something nice for us", when the government is now using OUR tax money to buy whatever nice things it wants for friends and cronies. The money is there.

There's a counter argument that it is wasted money with what is available on line. Who's going to buy 100's of 1000's pounds of books when an online storage is cheaper and more readily accessible.

The money isn't there or we wouldn't be trillions in debt.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've made sure that the money definitely isn't there now...

Anyhow, why bother with expensive books when you can feed kids whatever biased rubbish you like over the internet for a fraction of the cost?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
They've made sure that the money definitely isn't there now...

Anyhow, why bother with expensive books when you can feed kids whatever biased rubbish you like over the internet for a fraction of the cost?

Very true.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

There's a counter argument that it is wasted money with what is available on line. Who's going to buy 100's of 1000's pounds of books when an online storage is cheaper and more readily accessible.

The money isn't there or we wouldn't be trillions in debt.

Libraries have been poorly attended for decades and books are a thing o the past anyway - Borders went, and Waterstones were in trouble for a long time, before the ten year period that LP is referring to.

Keeping a resource like that alive for the sake of it is stupid.

Our local library is still open as it's linked to the registry office and a theatre. The library part of the building has been empty of humans at any point I've been in there in the last 10 years and I've been there a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Anyhow, why bother with expensive books

It's a huge predictor of academic success amongst children - the number of books within the household they grow up in. Of course it follows that they have early development of literacy skills so it's not really the number of books, but, you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, having a library doesn't mean kids that don't have books in the home will go visit it and read books, and become smarter.

We all know this, but to the Labour voters it's just another Tory cut to the communities that shows how little they value the children and, won't somebody PLEASE think of the children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our house is full of books, but I still have a 19 year old who plays Minecraft Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Our house is full of books, but I still have a 19 year old who plays Minecraft Shocked

Get him a book on Minecraft Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

My grandkids are the same. I thought I'd taught their mother the learning ethic but it's in sit front of the tv/computer/phone and give mummy a break.

At least when they come round ours we play Lego or making Tomy railways and getting them off the electronics.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them out into the Great Outdoors....or put them in a workhouse/sell them to Nike for slave labour Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To his credit he does work 5 days a week for a Landscape Gardener. He dodged the bullet by not taking up his University offer for a year, so he will be starting in September with a few quid behind him. Wink

I still don't get the Minecraft thing though. He spent a day over the weekend transferring his 'world' to his laptop in anticipation of continuing once a full time student. IMO not being able to go to pubs for a year has had a lot to do with it, because he should have been out chasing totty instead.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
To his credit he does work 5 days a week for a Landscape Gardener. He dodged the bullet by not taking up his University offer for a year, so he will be starting in September with a few quid behind him. Wink

I still don't get the Minecraft thing though. He spent a day over the weekend transferring his 'world' to his laptop in anticipation of continuing once a full time student. IMO not being able to go to pubs for a year has had a lot to do with it, because he should have been out chasing totty instead.

Dangerous game that nowadays. Get a consensual form printed out for him and tell him to get the wench to sign in triplicate before jiggy jiggy. No wolf whistles either, capital offence that now! Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Diggs wrote:
he should have been out chasing totty instead.

Dangerous game that nowadays. Get a consensual form printed out for him and tell him to get the wench to sign in triplicate before jiggy jiggy. No wolf whistles either, capital offence that now! Wink

I just had Radio 4’s Women’s Hour on in the background. God, us men are bastards aren’t we?

Not on Radio 4, but apparently there’s a movement called MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way) supposedly of men who have given up on dating. You’d think that was harming no one but the feminists absolutely hate it and call it misogyny. There’s probably some of that, which makes the whole thing easy to dismiss.

<insert favourite Tyler Durden quote here>

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of MGTOW until now. Apparently it was started by liberals afraid of being alone in lifts with women, but if you believe what is written, it is now an internet-based organisation of women-haters, sexual predators and rapists. That is, unless one transcends to 'Level 4', or 'full monk' level.

All very silly Laughing Laughing Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I hadn't heard of MGTOW until now. Apparently it was started by liberals afraid of being alone in lifts with women, but if you believe what is written, it is now an internet-based organisation of women-haters, sexual predators and rapists. That is, unless one transcends to 'Level 4', or 'full monk' level.

You missed out "incel" for a line in Misandry Slur Bingo Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:28 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought MGTOW was very old news!

Apparently some corners of it can be kinda toxic, like there are guys who think they just 'deserve' a woman, or they feel like women have become too arrogant or societally warped to know a good man when they see one.

Like with most things, there might be some truth in it when you hand-pick examples, but it's not right to make such sweeping generalisations. If not a single woman around you is interested, it's probably time for a bit of introspection.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:26 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secondary to a wedding ring, there seems to be nothing as attractive to a woman on a night out as a bloke showing absolutely no interest in her.

I've never had so much female attention if I go out on a lads night out since I got married and took myself out of the game.

A mate of mine was pulled up by someone at his work (university accounts department, so more than its fair share of loony lefties) for referring to the female members of our bike club* as "The girls". Apparently that was a mysogenist microaggression attempting to belittle adult women by using a juvenile noun.

Apparently the girls referring to us as "the boys" or "the lads" is equally unacceptable. I've suggested he starts referring to them as "The quines" which is a Scots word to referr to a group of females, usually younger and/or unmarried. Just to see what she makes of it. The derivation is the same as for the word "quim" but "quine" is not considered derogatory in any way in the scots language.

*A bike club which incidentally has females as full, equal members and has had transgender members in the past.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:27 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
The library part of the building has been empty of humans at any point I've been in there in the last 10 years and I've been there a lot.

There's seems to be a common factor here? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:33 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A bike club which incidentally has females as full, equal members and has had transgender members in the past.

Ah but what is the club doing about ethnic and racial diversity?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Like with most things, there might be some truth in it when you hand-pick examples, but it's not right to make such sweeping generalisations. If not a single woman around you is interested, it's probably time for a bit of introspection.

17th Centuty - Age of Enlightenment, 21st Century - Age of Entitlement Sad Get on with building something and if you put in enough effort and become successfully you'll be batting them away with a shitty stick Laughing

It occurs to me that great names for a pair of dominatrices might be Miss Andry and Miss Ogyny Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Get on with building something and if you put in enough effort and become successfully you'll be batting them away with a shitty stick Laughing

Are you daring to suggest personal agency?! Shocked
No, let's have government assign partners. Remember that you are government property; it is not for you to decide what your life is like.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:04 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Two of our members live in Paisley if that's what you mean. There's even a couple of English members.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ste wrote:

Two of our members live in Paisley if that's what you mean. There's even a couple of English members.

Paisley, now thats a blast from the past. I went there to stay with a scots mate from college many many moons ago. Rough as fuck. Laughing

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Don't forget to stop halfway through to seek continued consent, and to provide photos on yourself to her friends beforehand to seek their approval too. Remember the golden rule, if she consents the night before but the next day her friends think you aren't good enough, thats rape too!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Diggs wrote:

You missed out "incel" for a line in Misandry Slur Bingo Laughing

A new terror threat to the UK apparently.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 14 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Surely these sort of people always been about? I can't believe a new psychological profile has suddenly materialised; Freud et al discovered/classified/misinterpreted the existing human condition Thinking

This obsession with labels just seems like New Wave Bigotry to me. The inference being "all the warning signs were there" so slap a name on, go to jail, do not pass go.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9