Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Panniers or topbox?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Panniers or topbox? Reply with quote

I've got a weekend camping tour coming up soon, first on the current bike (Crossrunner). Obviously I'm going to pack as light as possible, weight should be fairly low but there's some inevitable bulk for sleeping bag, mat, tent, clothes etc.. I've got the following luggage capability;

- OEM Honda panniers (29 litres)
- GIVI 47 litre topbox
- Kriega 20L and 5L drypacks (with fastening points already on the bike to attach the pack(s) to the pillion seat)

Three options really for luggage as I see it;

- Panniers (OEM hard cases) with tent strapped to pillion seat. Panniers (empty) are slightly heavier than the topbox and make the bike wider, however keeps the COG lower. might need a drypack too as capacity of the panniers is quite low.

- Topbox (47 litre Givi) combined with large objects / Kriega drybag(s) on pillion seat. Lighter "luggage" weight, but it's located higher up so higher COG. Narrower for any filtering (shouldn't be much of that to be honest as the route is mainly rural).

- Panniers and topbox with no loose luggage (the tent I think will fit in the topbox as it's a compact backpacking tent weighing about 2.7kg). Heaviest "dead weight" of luggage, but it's all more secure if we need to leave the bikes, e.g. go into a cafe and arguably better protected against weather as I can keep the contents in a lightweight walking drybags and just pull the bags out at the campsites leaving the luggage attached. Won't restrict access to under the seat either (although not sure why I'd need to get under there anyway).

I reckon I can make do with one of the combinations. The question is, which? Last time I toured I only had soft panniers and a drypack with no alternatives so I just made do (but I was also staying in hostels/B&Bs so didn't need as much stuff). This time I've got a choice which is making life harder! What do we think?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Givi topbox on mine and I loaded up with bike chain and some plumbing tools. Along with all the rest of my stuff it was quite a bit to lug off the bike! Didn't notice it at all in a >250mile ride so unless you're building your campfire out of bricks you're bringing with you I wouldn't worry Smile

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to have a bit more space than you need, rather than not have the space and find out you need it.

Hard panniers and a top-box would be my choice.
That way, at least some things will stay dry if it rains.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my thought really, panniers and topbox then heavier items in the panniers and light stuff in the top, plus things like waterproofs I potentially need access to.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, think I'd go for panniers and top-box, then that gives you the tidiest and most flexible packing options.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:34 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal is usually, soft panniers (just allows easier filtering) with waterproof covers on (cooking equipment, pair of shoes, any extra tools/zip ties, canteen) that I wont need immediate access too. Tent, clothes/washbag inside a drybag, sleeping bag and roll mat all inside one roll bag on the back seat. Topbox for camera, waterproofs etc, anything you need quick access to. The hard boxes are nice, just takes a bit more packing to not overload and not having everything rattling around in them.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually still got my throw-over soft panniers, but they're a nightmare to fit and there's nothing to hold them away from the rear wheel (as the OEM hard panniers have a rather nifty and tidy fastening mechanism which means there's no rack). I have to admit the hard panniers were a sweetener for me when I got the bike as I thought they'd come in useful (I've used them to go to the shops etc. a few times). I guess if I don't put them to use on a camping tour I never will properly use them in anger!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I have to admit the hard panniers were a sweetener for me when I got the bike as I thought they'd come in useful (I've used them to go to the shops etc. a few times). I guess if I don't put them to use on a camping tour I never will properly use them in anger!

I think they're great for hotel-touring - mine have liners so when I rock up at that night's accommodation, regardless of what the weather's doing I just pop open the panniers and lift out the two relatively light, bone-dry bags and take them inside with me

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I think they're great for hotel-touring - mine have liners so when I rock up at that night's accommodation, regardless of what the weather's doing I just pop open the panniers and lift out the two relatively light, bone-dry bags and take them inside with me

This ^+1. Exactly Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a purely operational/mass centralisation point of view, I'd go with panniers and a bag on the seat.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be the boring one: don't forget to find, and adjust, your rear pre-load to account for the luggage otherwise you wont be going anywhere fast and the ride will be horrible. Then the tyre pressures and headlight aim (although the latter I doubt will need adjusting).

Here's a video that you might find helpful.

Put all your luggage on -- everything -- and then pack away and see what you can do without, and then pop down to your local bike shop when you realise you may need a cargo net, or straps, and more. Laughing

With something like this you have to realise you're turning the bike into a barge so there's always going to be a compromise re filtering etc. So long as its secure during the ride and dry by the time you get there I wouldn't expect much else.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re : bungee cords & and cargo nets.
You’ll always need more than you think.

I never go on a long trip/tour without an emergency ball of string in my kit bag.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I get everything into my panniers and topbox (I'd be amazed if I don't manage this as I have lightweight/compact kit for my mountaineering activities, e.g. sleeping bag, thermarest etc. etc.) I might still throw my Kreiga US20 into the topbox as a backup. It weighs nothing and is compact but would give extra capacity should I buy a round of cheese or some other less than portable souvenir.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:16 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's all the crap about hard panniers making filtering harder? Complete hogwash, if a country bumpkin like me can filter a zzr1100 with full luggage set through London traffic I'm sure everyone else can manage on the open roads. Of course, if Thunderguts is planning a nice quiet weekend with the great unwashed squatting in Parliament Square then he might do better using TFL...

And as for preloading, hands up all those who have set their bikes up for their individual weight/ride comfort, sorry should I say had their grease monkey set the bike up, and would do it for a one off weekend? Awaits tumbleweed/usual Workshop handy suspects.
Most of my machines I never bothered with setting up and at somewhere in between 100-118kg (+ATGATT) I'd say that the only time handling was really noticeably affected was way back in my twenties when I weighed in at a poxy 85kg, touring with the ex (let's just say a 5'6" roustabout and leave it at that... Laughing ), plus full luggage on my old XS250's.

Take the full set, better to have the room and not use it, at least until you decide that you'd rather keep your wet tent away from any remaining dry kit but pack the bungees just in case you want to keep that wet tent outside on the way home...

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where panniers can be too wide is fitting in a tight parking space.
I did have a hard set on an early touring bike Kawasaki GT750 but when I changed it I started using soft throwover style rater than buy a different fitting kit (another annoyance as the panniers would outlast several bikes!)
Anything more valuable was kept in a tank bag usually carried with me.

In later years I only ever took the tank bag and stuff strapped directly on the back, the only time more space was particularly wished for was after getting food shop for overnight camp out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Re : bungee cords & and cargo nets.
You’ll always need more than you think.

I never go on a long trip/tour without an emergency ball of string in my kit bag.

Most tents come with a plethora of string... Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:20 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

And as for preloading, hands up all those who have set their bikes up for their individual weight/ride comfort, sorry should I say had their grease monkey set the bike up, and would do it for a one off weekend? Awaits tumbleweed/usual Workshop handy suspects.

Hi. I calculated my spring rate and set my static sag with 40kg of luggage on the bike between a set of soft panniers and a drybag on the back seat.

Pretty much because that's how it is most of the time. It actually gets a wee bit lively/bouncy at the arse end if I take it out without luggage.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea how typical it is, but the panniers on my Crossrunner are pretty much as wide as the handlebars if not slightly wider. Not an issue 99%+ of the time, but I am wary of them being wider when they're on the bike. Like anything, you get used to it and it doesn't become a problem, but given I don't normally have them on I'm more wary of the width when they are.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing about hard panniers is they are more secure if you leave your bike while having a coffee etc.

Also you can pull them off the bike when camping and use them as a table and chairs.
Big topbox... table for prepping food.
pannier keeps bum off wet ground Very Happy

I have a 58 ltr topbox, 46ltr and 33 ltr panniers.
I still carry a 60ltr LOMO bag on top too.
All that and a pillion!

Unless lots of room i dont risk filtering, when fully loaded.
I can always unload at camp and tour the local area pannier free Smile

Speaking of Lomo, they do some great pannier waterproof bags, £50 for both, which are excellent if you prefer bags

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

42L Topbox
40L roll top dry bag (Lomo)
25L tank bag

107L total

Includes tent, sleeping bag, mat, clothes for 4/5 days + washing kit

I like the tank bag for food, drink, documents at easy reach.

Having tank bag + roll bag means, if just camping for 4 days, they come off the bike, leaving just the topbox for leaving lid + gear in when out and about.

Have done it without the tank bag, but means having to pack things really carefully. Which when braking camp in the rain, isn't handy, prefer the extra space.

The only downside I can see compared to panniers is the time to strap it together. But its only a couple of minutes. Similar to time it takes for Kriega from what I've seen.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything went into the panniers and topbox. Spare space in the topbox but trying to keep the weight down in there.

Looks like I've got the weather for it . . .

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Everything went into the panniers and topbox. Spare space in the topbox but trying to keep the weight down in there.

Looks like I've got the weather for it . . .

Where did you end up? I recently saw an article suggesting that this May is looking like it will be the wettest on record. Wales looked particularly shitty this weekend, their weather looked crap too. Laughing

Edit: ie. Wettest May for the UK. It's been bloomin' luvverly here in South Carolina and the missus has been reporting high humidity and temps in Florida (I'll settle for webbed feet any day over that shit).

andite
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:08 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top boxes exist outside of the load triangle (front wheel, back wheel, top of helmet) and as such aren't great for putting heavy things in. I use mine for errands or shopping when around town, and put bulky items like clothes and sleeping bags inside when touring.

The problem with a top box is it's a lever arm with a load, adding surface area high up. It will take weight off the front, making the bike more prone to wheelies and fork issues like tankslappers. It will raise the CG of your bike making it less stable. It will act like a sail in crosswinds requiring additional yaw corrective inputs. It can trap you keeping you from coming off the back of the bike, which can lead to a broken spine in event of a crash.

On the plus side the topbox's additional storage keeps you from being strained by a backpack, and when fitted with a back rest can inspire confidence in pillions. Bigger bikes like your GS are less sensitive to a topbox's effects, but still you should be cautious.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1