BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Summer Gloves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Summer Gloves Reply with quote

After managing to wear through the thumb pad on my Held Summer Gloves I'm looking to buy replacements but struggling to choose through the hundreds of options out there, so some personal experience would be most useful please Smile

Only real requirements are:
Arrow Long Cuff not shorties
Arrow Knuckle Armour
Arrow Ventilation
Arrow Not garish colours / OTT branding crap

So far I have narrowed down to this:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/513292

But are there any other options?

Price wise, say ~£150 max end but willing to stretch for something decent.

Any hints on sizing also appreciated - I've heard that the likes of Alpinestars tend to come up small?

Thanks Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl, £17.99 Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely rate the Knox Handroid stuff, they do long cuff ones but I preferred the Pod mk4 ones.

They are a bit over budget with the longer cuff, but would highly recommend you try a pair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I absolutely rate the Knox Handroid stuff, they do long cuff ones but I preferred the Pod mk4 ones.

They are a bit over budget with the longer cuff, but would highly recommend you try a pair.

I was put off Knox when my mate ploughed his CBR600 (my old one) through a hedge at speed and the Handroids caught the screen on the way over and ..... Assploded Surprised Laughing

I guess that was one random accident. Shall have a look Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, what's the reason for long-cuffed gloves? I've never really thought about cuff length (my winter gloves have long cuffs which makes sense from a warmth/weather perspective, but my summer gloves are short cuffed). Is it a style preference, weatherproofing or a safety element?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Just out of interest, what's the reason for long-cuffed gloves? I've never really thought about cuff length (my winter gloves have long cuffs which makes sense from a warmth/weather perspective, but my summer gloves are short cuffed). Is it a style preference, weatherproofing or a safety element?

I have a pair of Bering mesh shorties which work well with my mesh AirSpin jacket but not so well with my leather jacket; the short cuffs just feel odd against the cuff of the jacket whereas a gauntlet style glove just sits over the leather jacket nicely.

I tended to use the Held ones as '3 season' glove, with my Spada fleece lined / water proof ones coming out only when it's down under ~10deg, and the Bering ones coming out when it's ~25deg+.

Thumbs Up

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/alpinestars-sp-8-v2-leather-gloves/black-dark-grey

£67.49

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP Pro's are the absolute comfiest summer glove I've had, by a long margin. No weird sizing AFAIK, I'm an XXL in Spada, RST and A* - Top of your budget though.

GP Pro's for hot sunny days, A* Valparisio for overcast or a bit rainy, Spada Enforcers or Storm's for Pissing it down or fucking freezing stuff.

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/alpinestars-gp-pro-r3-ce-leather-mens-gloves/black

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of A*'s almost identical to the ones you linked, think it maybe an older version and the writing on mine is in some awful dayglo yellow. When new they were a little stiff but after a bit of wear they became very comfortable. Would recommend, you can't really go wrong with A*'s.

*edit* just looked mine are SP8

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend Helimot gloves. Their "Buffalo Pro" gloves are deerskin. Mine 12 years old now, and I still wear them frequently. They are pretty stiff when new, break in takes a few hundred miles.
https://www.helimot.com/store/c3/Helimot_Gloves.html

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knox Handroid for me too. Well vented. Comfortable. Securely on with the BOA system. Armour in all the right places including Scaphoid protection.

https://store.via-moto.co.uk/products/knox-hand-armour-handroid-mk3-leather-gloves?variant=32876381798443¤cy=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-07-22&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI94awl_7A8AIVgqrVCh3i6wQREAQYAiABEgITr_D_BwE

MK3 available for a good price but not sure what the difference is between that and the new Mk4 - other than about 80 quid more expensive.

I'd see if you can try a pair on first though.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Long cuffs over the sleeves, if you throw it down the road, the jacket sleeves are less likely to ride up as the gloves and cuffs ( wrist armour on the Knox ones) will slide. In theory that should give you better protection but as ever it will depend how you slide / what you hit before you stop.

Probably personal preference but I prefer long cuff gloves.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - that gives me a fair bit to go on Smile
anglinafatty This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought some Alpinestars in the end. 80 quid. Had to go XL rather than L for sizing. They seem comfy so far but I've not been out in them yet Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knox are cheap shite.

I have a pair of 'summer' gloves.

Both Point Finger tip pads disintegrated within a few weeks of use.
Leather gloves with soft-as-shite loosely woven textile finger pads.

Absolutely useless design if you consider a finger most probably meet the road at considerable speed if you needed to put a hand down in an off.

Alpine Stars work well.

Some models are a bit pricey...

But they are very hard wearing and most of all comfortable.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Long cuffs over the sleeves, if you throw it down the road, the jacket sleeves are less likely to ride up as the gloves and cuffs ( wrist armour on the Knox ones) will slide. In theory that should give you better protection but as ever it will depend how you slide / what you hit before you stop.

Probably personal preference but I prefer long cuff gloves.

Long ones often have an extra bit of velcro around the wrist to keep them in place as well. Shorties are much more likely to rip off in a slide.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1