Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyres - mixing? And now an added bonus service question!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:13 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Tyres - mixing? And now an added bonus service question! Reply with quote

I need a new rear tyre on my Street Triple, but my front tyre has about 5mm tread left on it.

Now that I am back at work, I am using it to commute into London everyday (80 mile round trip) which is a three-way split between rural country roads, 15 miles motorway/DC and inner city riding.

Currently it has Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 tyres on it which have been excellent but am toying with getting it shod in something a little bit more hard wearing, like Pirelli's Angel GT or Metzeler's Roadtec 01.

Can I simply put one of these on and then replace the front with a matching tyre when it needs to, or do I need to buy a Rosso 3 rear and then replace the two together when they are both worn down?

Will my bike kill me at the first bend with un-matching tyres on it?

Thanks all

Last edited by twooo on 21:21 - 11 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear less grippy than front is very seldom an issue
Me I don't care I mix tyre all the time makes versions new old "whatever"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:39 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a commute, upright into London, I'd not worry about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode 2600 miles around froggyland back in 2014 with a part worn Pirelli Diablo Corsa III on the front of the R1 and a new Michelin PR3 rear.It did not slip or slide under all of the different weather conditions that I encountered.Great fun Very Happy

Always have a 'Plan B'

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's what I pretty much figured. Spoke to a Triumph dealer about getting it replaced along with it's 12k service and they wouldn't even entertain the idea of mixing tyres and would only fit a Diablo Rossi unless I fitted both tyres.

As an aside, the 12k major service. Proper Triumph dealer or will an independent but respected garage? Is the perceived prestige of that service stamp worth anything? I'd much rather give my money to an independent local firm if I can.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:36 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

twooo wrote:
Thanks. That's what I pretty much figured. Spoke to a Triumph dealer about getting it replaced along with it's 12k service and they wouldn't even entertain the idea of mixing tyres and would only fit a Diablo Rossi unless I fitted both tyres.

As an aside, the 12k major service. Proper Triumph dealer or will an independent but respected garage? Is the perceived prestige of that service stamp worth anything? I'd much rather give my money to an independent local firm if I can.

What year is your bike? Is it in warranty? If it's in warranty you kind of have to take it to a Triumph dealer. If not, then go for a trusted independent.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

twooo wrote:

Are they implying that they will void the warranty if someone else fits a tyre plus also they are the only ones allowed to specify what brand?
Horse-shit. IMHO.

PS Don't mix radial and cross ply on the same axle Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
twooo wrote:

What year is your bike? Is it in warranty? If it's in warranty you kind of have to take it to a Triumph dealer. If not, then go for a trusted independent.

2014 Street Triple. No warranty as I bought it privately last year.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've never taken my bike to a Triumph dealer for a service.
Come to think of it, I've never taken it to any dealer for a service.
On the subject of tyres, I begrudgingly changed mine after an advisory from the previous MOT.
The rear I could understand but the front didn't warrant changing imo.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a marketing technique that delves from the different ply design that car tyres used to commonly describe as not being mixable, as A100man says, on the same axle which isn't really a thing anymore (but different sized tyres on the same axle is still unprefered and an MOT fail- although contradictory space savers are okay...).

Anyway - I mix bike tyres constantly. When 1 wears to bone- it gets changed as an individual.

Last edited by blurredman on 20:08 - 12 May 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:13 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to an independent, fit a Angel ST on the rear and save £.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

twooo wrote:

Sticky front, harder wearing rear is fairly normal. Just make sure things are warmed up before pushing on.

I've had Roadtec 01, Rosso 2, Roadsmart 3, Pilot Road 4, S22 on Striple

Would happily mix a Roadtec 01 rear with Rosso front if you wanted more miles off rear, but grip at front (in dry).

Roadsmart are more miles, but go a bit wooden after 4k. Still a decent rear option though for more miles.

Probably wouldn't mix a Pilot Road 4/5 rear with a Rosso front. Simply because the Pilot Roads can push straight off the bat, plus push really well in the wet (when the Rosso front is taking time to warm up and sucks on the wet).

But if you are patient with warm up and not looking to go crazy in the wet. Then a PR4 rear would mix with a Rosso Corsa front.

EDIT:
arry wrote:
On a commute, upright into London, I'd not worry about it.

+1 Thumbs Up

12k service = plugs, filters, oil, coolant; replace. Wheel+linkage bearing, valves check + timing adjustment via cams.

The big thing being valve check + cam adjustment.

It's circa a £750 dealer job, or £350 local dude.

Obtaining proof of work done by either party requires you being there, or them taking timestamped / custard photos.
So what is your level of belief it will be done, vs how much is that stamp worth.
If its not stamped, its a £500 haggle and £250 reduction in likelihood.

I did my '13 valves a couple of times, and the first it was on limit of tight so I shimmed to the middle and adjusted the cams sprockets.
The second was 15k later and it hadn't moved.

So it seems, depending on where the engine was set (assuming reasonable oil + changes) is where it will stay for a long time.

At best, its probably a £500 haggle and wouldn't put people off.
I probably wouldn't believe the work had been done without evidence anyway, and would re-do it. In other words, to buyers, they'll use it to reduce price, but not much and will still buy anyway as long as mileage isn't crazy past schedule.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1