Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cheap R1 issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 21:03 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: cheap R1 issues Reply with quote

I have in principle brought a 5000 mile 99 R1 for £400. Now the problem is, that is has a few issues.

The main issue is that there is a crack in the frame, and the second is it overheats due to the rad not kicking in.

Any thoughts on this or ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame off eBay

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Re: cheap R1 issues Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
I have in principle brought a 5000 mile 99 R1 engine and some ancillaries for £400.

Find a frame to put it in, buy a working cooling fan whilst your at it.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:46 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locate the thermostatic fan switch. It is likely located on the radiator. Disconnect the wire from the switch and touch it to a hard engine part with the ignition turned "on". An operating fan indicates a bad thermo switch. A non operational fan suggests it is defective. Try running the fan off a 12V supply to verify before ordering a new fan.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:10 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it overheat all the time or only when stopped or in slow traffic?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Re: cheap R1 issues Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
The main issue is that there is a crack in the frame.

Where on the frame and why?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you're R1stu..!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

WATP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Re: cheap R1 issues Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
I have in principle brought a 5000 mile 99 R1 for £400. Now the problem is, that is has a few issues.

The main issue is that there is a crack in the frame, and the second is it overheats due to the rad not kicking in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294153564794 £150 solves the first issue.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overheating due to rad not kicking - New thermostat.

I needed a new engine on my 2002 Fazer Thou (essentially similar lump to the 98 R1) because of that. Not sure when the failure started, but rad was stone cold when I got to the mechanic but mill was boiling hot.

The fact that my exhaust was blue smoking on the overrun and the big end sounded rattly meant that my engine was toast!

It could have happened progressively and me not notice it because it was summer. Or, it could have happened on my 50 mile commute. Who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as modern clocks can't better the style of a couple of analogue dials I appreciate the temp gauge. I occasionally sit in traffic instead of filtering just to see the temp climb up till the fan kicks in.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:24 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the handle of R1stu is asking the internets for thoughts & ideas on its latest purchase.

It seems that a few of the idiots have been triggered.

Is this how R1stu measures success???

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 16:30 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for thoughts on if worth it, I have just been to look at the bike and to say i, collecting, but the shop had no clue as not told about it Rolling Eyes

The crack is the subframe not main frame, and the main harness is a complete mess. There was not any fluids in the bike either when they got it.

Looks imaculate, ohlins damper, brand new tyres with the chicken strips in the middle still, and a carbon micron system.

So I think in parts is worth £400

Rebuilding is not an issue. As from my handle I used to own a 2000 R1 Which I pretty much rebuilt, and I knew little about bikes compared to now.

As long as the engine dosent smoke, I think I can save it!

https://i.imgur.com/87WbXDm.jpg
JackButler This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:08 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
I was looking for thoughts on if worth it, I have just been to look at the bike and to say i, collecting, but the shop had no clue as not told about it Rolling Eyes

The crack is the subframe not main frame, and the main harness is a complete mess. There was not any fluids in the bike either when they got it.

Looks imaculate, ohlins damper, brand new tyres with the chicken strips in the middle still, and a carbon micron system.

That's easy to get repaired. Find a good local fabricator that can fix it if it's the subframe. Will have no effect on the safety or performance of the bike, does raise the question of how it has happened though so might be worth getting the alignment checked.

Sounds like a strip and rebuild job/project. If you wont do it then dibs. I'll happily give you £500 so you've not lost out and I can have a nice project. Thumbs Up

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 20:02 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
R1stu wrote:

That's easy to get repaired. Find a good local fabricator that can fix it if it's the subframe. Will have no effect on the safety or performance of the bike, does raise the question of how it has happened though so might be worth getting the alignment checked.

Sounds like a strip and rebuild job/project. If you wont do it then dibs. I'll happily give you £500 so you've not lost out and I can have a nice project. Thumbs Up

Reg as Cat C on register

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:49 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Have you been drinking? It's still early Fri pm & the sun is not yet over the yardarm. If you have a problem with the alcohol you should seek professional & sympathetic help elsewhere.

If you haven't been drinking, then my apologies. Please seek help from any responsible adult, for only they can show you the way.

Trigger post. A post that only exists to illicit responses from idiots. Unless its a post that's designed to illicit any response for the purposes of bumping up the response figures.

Are you a sock of the forum owner? Do you ever wonder why only fukwits populate this forum???

Jack is stupid, but he's not 'that' stupid. Jack has many friends & aquaintances from all walks of life, yet Jack doesn't associate with anyone stupid enuff to fall for this bollox.

Fuck off you cretin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man posts picture of motorcycle on motorcycle forum, oh the horror of it!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So big question is why so cheap? Looks in good nick and 2 grand in parts or so if stripped.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:33 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
So big question is why so cheap? Looks in good nick and 2 grand in parts or so if stripped.

R1stu wrote:
Reg as Cat C on register

This + an unknown engine probably makes it worth little if buying off someone who doesn't know how to/have the inclination to do anything with it.

@R1stu, still potentially worth putting back on the road if you really want an early R1 and don't intend to sell. or make a profit off the plastics alone if in good condition.

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 09:40 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got screwed over on R1 by garage. Went to sort collecting it and now They have offered a tonne more money than I was giving for it.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:02 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
Got screwed over on R1 by garage. Went to sort collecting it and now They have offered a tonne more money than I was giving for it.

Wankers!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that was always going to be their ploy. Like sickpup said it's worth 2k-ish in parts.

Was it a case of, "we've been offered X but you could have it for Y"?

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 21:43 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is not to do with garage, was only there for the repairs. But they were too expensive so my ex didn't want to throw more money at it.

Then lock down started so they couldn't get bike back and the insurance and mot expired in that time.

Ex said spoke to garage to tell them I'm picking up, but they didn't get message so wouldn't let me take it.

Ex spoke to them today and found out what I was paying, then they suddenly had a buyer offering £800 for the bike.

Was only there a year without interest. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1