Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pissy Small Fuel tank

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:35 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Pissy Small Fuel tank Reply with quote

Ok, so I bought a bike today...
Just liked the look of it...an it was red.... what more do you need Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I did my homework, and it has a piss poor small fuel tank, but ticked a large majority of the other boxes. Now the other week I nearly got a V-Max at a good price ridiculously low mileage and mint condition, but it too had a pissy small tank, plus I didn't want a car engine in a bike, and pay car tax & insurance, and the seals were all over 30 years old, blah blah.

Why on earth do manufacturers think you want to fill your bike up after every hundred miles or so? Whats all that about.

13 liter / 3.4 U.S. gal / 2.9 imp. gal
@~40 MPG (US) that's roughly 120 miles, assume you don't run to empty before you fill that's now down to 100 miles.

I bought it knowing I'll probably go for some customisation tank wise, because I want 200+ miles, but why do they do it?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a cruiser it's because you don't need more than 120 miles to go to Starbucks and visit a rent boy. Maybe need to refill if you want the go to the arseless chaps store but how often does one go?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:41 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small tanks are fitted to Harleys so you can flex more often at the gas station Wink

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Litre not liter, I failed my English 5 times and needed to bribe an examiner to pass, I hate American spellings.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:53 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Pissy Small Fuel tank Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
why do they do it?

Because people still buy the bikes. Tank range is not a major consideration for everyone. You bought the wrong bike.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be less of a problem than you are imagining, depending where you live consider buying at least one jerry can or something so that if it's a bit low when you are about to set off from home you can top it up.
Even if you have a filling station close by there will be the time it is closed for whatever reason.

You have at least two hours riding time after which a quick stop is often welcome anyway if only to stretch legs.
If doing a tour to wilder parts you might want to get a can to carry but chances are even in Scotland it won't be needed with a bit of forethought.

My CRF250 has an even smaller tank but does do about 70mpg however that's still about 100 miles - it's rarely a problem because if it's below half at home I put 2 or 3 litres in even though nearest petrol station is now at least 8 miles away

Last edited by doggone on 09:03 - 13 May 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere in the UK is more than 26 miles from a petrol station, apparently.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:10 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Hmmm? I wouldn’t like to use that frame of mind in the north of Scotland, or even parts of north England.

Maybe I’m being to much of a blouse, but when I was in north Scotland, if I saw a petrol station, i went in and filled up.
Plus petrol stations in remote areas don’t stay open 24hours , so if you’re low on fuel late afternoon/evening, you could be in the poo and a long wait to refuel Shocked Confused Sad

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Hmmm? I wouldn’t like to use that frame of mind in the north of Scotland, or even parts of north England.

Maybe I’m being to much of a blouse, but when I was in north Scotland, if I saw a petrol station, i went in and filled up.
Plus petrol stations in remote areas don’t stay open 24hours , so if you’re low on fuel late afternoon/evening, you could be in the poo and a long wait to refuel Shocked Confused Sad

Aye, they didn't say whether they would be open when you wanted them to be Smile

Looks like the article has disappeared, but previously...

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Apparently, the most remote spot in the UK is 26 miles from the nearest petrol station. I could do that with 1 litre on the YBR, but would need half a gallon on the Enfield, if I rode it normally. Once you get past the top 10, you're not more than 8 miles away from the nearest petrol station, which even at 30mpg is only 1.25 litres. If you're in a position where you're likely to run out, it'd be useful to carry a litre bottle with you.

Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I tried to do LE-JOG in less than 24 hours without using motorways on my 250.
Through my mis-timing, I arrived in Scotland late evening and low on fuel.
The nearest petrol station was closed and I didn’t have enough fuel to continue.
I had to wait for the petrol station to open in the morning. 4&1/2 hours
Luckily there was a Travelodge (I think it was Travelodge) close by and I booked in and had a bit of a kip.
I missed my target by 2&1/2 hours .

My bad planning and remote petrol stations that are not 24 hour caused my fail.

Last edited by pepperami on 06:48 - 16 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Litre not liter, I failed my English 5 times and needed to bribe an examiner to pass, I hate American spellings.

In the 80's when they started gradually rebadging car engine capacities, sometimes they used litre, and other times they used liter. But after a while they've primarily stuck with liter. However, in this case, I'd say GettinBetter has simply copy and pasting what he has found on the web, esspecially as it mentions US gallons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:37 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What bike is it?

In my sig'

Robby wrote:
.... You bought the wrong bike.

I don't think I did, someone once said to me (I may have even read it on here) if you don't get the urge to go and have a look at it at every opportunity, THEN you've bought the wrong bike.

doggone wrote:
It will be less of a problem than you are imagining, depending where you live consider buying at least one jerry can or something so that if it's a bit low when you are about to set off from home you can top it up.
Even if you have a filling station close by there will be the time it is closed for whatever reason.

You have at least two hours riding time after which a quick stop is often welcome anyway if only to stretch legs.
If doing a tour to wilder parts you might want to get a can to carry but chances are even in Scotland it won't be needed with a bit of forethought.

My CRF250 has an even smaller tank but does do about 70mpg however that's still about 100 miles - it's rarely a problem because if it's below half at home I put 2 or 3 litres in even though nearest petrol station is now at least 8 miles away

Good to hear, I'm defo going to do something done about it, and it has to be pucker. so won't get done till I've explored all the options, and prioritised my to do list. Must have a windshield first me thinks.

Blurredman wrote:
.....However, in this case, I'd say GettinBetter has simply copy and pasting what he has found on the web, esspecially as it mentions US gallons.

You are correct sir, why type it when C&P is so easy.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:11 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get over 120, I haven't ridden fast enough. I think the worst I had was when riding a VTR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:52 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel light came on on my S2r today while out on a blat... 13 litres of tesco 99 later and it's sloshing out of the cap.

That's good for about 100-120 miles... the teenager's Mito get through a similar amount of fuel in less than that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

And yet I still have to fill up a petrol can twice a year because the wife runs out of fuel, despite working literally 200 metres away from a petrol station (and passing about 4 each way to/from work).

120 out of a tank isn’t bad. It’s what I’d expect to fill up at from any bike really.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:43 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an hour I find it useful to get off and have a stretch anyway.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="xX-Alex-Xx"

And yet I still have to fill up a petrol can twice a year because the wife runs out of fuel, despite working literally 200 metres away from a petrol station (and passing about 4 each way to/from work).

[/quote]

this is why women belong in the kitchen.

(i hope CorriganJ isnt reading this) Rolling Eyes

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

And yet I still have to fill up a petrol can twice a year because the wife

You're fucked when she gets an electric car, "Honey can you fetch the generator".

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

And yet I still have to fill up a petrol can twice a year because the wife

You're fucked when she gets an electric car, "Honey can you fetch the generator".

Really not looking forward to that. Her phones dead half the time, and the other half the time is "my phone's about to die". Confused

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZZR 600 used to get about 130 miles out of a tank, if I brimmed it I could happily get from Manchester to Oxford without stopping, after which I was quite glad to stop and stretch legs.

Hornet got about 100 miles out of a tank

Fazer did similar to the ZZR

if you want long range, you have to go touring / adventure bike really

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:37 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filling stations at Scourie and Durness are now pay at pump. They used to be closed on a Sunday. If you landed up in Durness on a Saturday evening on a motorbike with anything like a small tank after the filling station shut, you were there 'till Monday.

Anyway, the farthest from a filling station is 37 miles, Rannoch Station. But since it's a no-through road, make it you need to have 74 miles in your tank to get there and back.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
My ZZR 600 used to get about 130 miles out of a tank, if I brimmed it I could happily get from Manchester to Oxford without stopping, after which I was quite glad to stop and stretch legs.

Hornet got about 100 miles out of a tank

Fazer did similar to the ZZR

if you want long range, you have to go touring / adventure bike really

id covered 185 miles when i refilled my Ace last, reserve light came on at 165. the benefits of being old and slow i guess Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:54 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
... make it you need to have 74 miles in your tank to get there and back.

That 'pay at the pump' you mentioned, is 24hr I take it?

I got 100 miles out of the first tank, will see how I get on taking it a bit easier on the second.

Definitely need backup though, apparently, the reserve is ~1/4 of the tank. So after 130 miles with no pump (or I forget) and I'm empty and walking/hitching.

Once I get the essentials sorted, I'll see what room I have for fuel contingency. It's a pain when you're on a nice trip out and all you can think about is where the next bloody station is. I've got to get it to a stage where I can forget it for a couple of hundred miles, and that's basically doubling current capacity.

Options so far seem to be:
1. Bolt on some purpose made jerry type plastic cans, but they're only 3Ltrs each. (and bloody ugly)
2. Put a couple of 5 Ltr cans in my side panniers when I get them, not too keen on that either.
3. Splash out on a fully customised tank.

1 & 2. mean stopping to decant from the cans after removing any gear stowed on top of the fuel.
With 3, would the dynamics of that weight be so different than that from people carrying luggage and fuel elsewhere on the bike? I've seen some really top heavy arrangements on bikes when touring.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS Adventure, no problems here.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2