Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Final lifesavers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Final lifesavers Reply with quote

Any tips to drill this into my head ?

Ive done my Mod1 now, and pretty much there with booking my Mod2, ive had a lesson today and sorted out most of my Obvs, Signal, Manoeuvre, but I keep missing my final lifesaver when doing right turns, not sure why as if their is a parked car etc in the road, i do it 100% of the time before i move position, but on turns i seem to forget

Hopefully just one of those things where i need a bit more time in the seat, going to practice it on my 125 in the coming days, the wife can correct me from behind on our intercom, but wondered if anyone had any tips

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle memory. Drill it into yourself until you don't need to remember to do it. Same as cancelling indicators after you make a turn.

When i was learning i'd mentally count out the steps as i did them until they became habit.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Final lifesavers Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

Ive done my Mod1 now, and pretty much there with booking my Mod2, ive had a lesson today and sorted out most of my Obvs, Signal, Manoeuvre, but I keep missing my final lifesaver when doing right turns, not sure why as if their is a parked car etc in the road, i do it 100% of the time before i move position, but on turns i seem to forget

Hopefully just one of those things where i need a bit more time in the seat, going to practice it on my 125 in the coming days, the wife can correct me from behind on our intercom, but wondered if anyone had any tips

I still have to get through my MOD 1 but I have to keep reminding myself of this exact same thing too. Also on roundabouts to do the life-saver in the direction of the possible danger as for some reason I do it over both shoulders.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Final lifesavers Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Also on roundabouts to do the life-saver in the direction of the possible danger as for some reason I do it over both shoulders.

This isn't the worst thing, there are a few roundabouts near me where I'll check both sides whilst going around depending on which way I'm going and which way other vehicles are coming from.

For example there is one particular bugger on my daily commute where I am exiting left and also anticipating cars which (on a daily basis) cut across the roundabout to take the same exit as I am and so are coming from my right to my left.

As they're cutting traffic they are generally driving somewhat erratically (too quickly for the amount of cars about), looking for a gap rather than looking out for bikes.

I end up looking both sides a couple of times just to have good awareness of who is doing what around me.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On big roundabouts I'm more likely to check over my right shoulder before exiting, looking out for vehicles that might be trying to nip passed but which might have to cut me up to actually get by.

On mini roundabouts in busy towns I'm more likely to check over my left shoulder before exiting, on the off chance that a cyclist and, or, electric scooter has suddenly materialised out of nowhere and is trying to come by on the inside.

But yes, I'll also do both quite often. It's not just THAT you look though - it's also WHEN. It's no use looking AS you're manoeuvring - it's too late then (it's not uncommon to see both motorcyclists and drivers look AFTER they've committed to the manoeuvre!). The reason for looking is essentially to plan your manoeuvre - and then one last look before finally committing, so you can abort it if something was in your blind spot, and/or has suddenly emerged or appeared from somewhere unexpected.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:26 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Final lifesavers Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

The habit I've been working in breaking is indicating before doing checks, it's a bad habit after 30 years of driving , I never manouver before checking but my instructor kept having a go at me for indicating without checking. I'm a lot better now just through practice. One thing I do us when I'm in the car I do checks like I'm on a bike I don't use the re view mirror and I perform shoulder checks , I may look a bit strange but it really helps with muscule memory.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother, we're already dead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

you must be great fun at parties Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of a right turn like the u-turn on mod 1. Lifesaver before you commit to the turn.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:39 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do them in the car as well, it helps to program yourself. If you start to look right into the junction when it’s at 45 degrees to you, scanning for approaching traffic, having started to look right it should help you to remember to shoulder check as a progression from that.

It’s not too hard to talk to yourself for the duration of the test too. So “where am I going? Right turn, use my mirror, shoulder check, position…” etc.

Good luck BTW.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride around London for a bit. Lifesavers are absolutely essential with all the scooters about Rolling Eyes

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 14 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

you must be great fun at parties Mr. Green

the irony is, he actually IS great fun at parties

he's THEE mr. ice-breaker

Pat talks to anyone and everyone and brings a crowd together

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:31 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the 'do it in the car' tip, the weather lately has been horrendous so my time out on my 125 has been rare, if i can do it in the car then i think it might help, but i do need to get out more as i think as suggested, it needs to be muscle memory

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine there is a lunatic on a motorbike coming past from behind at 100mph. Imagine the impact if you were to turn into their path. Self preservation will make you look before you actually turn. I actually am looking out for just such a thing when I commit to turn right.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Final lifesavers Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:

The habit I've been working in breaking is indicating before doing checks, it's a bad habit after 30 years of driving , I never manouver before checking but my instructor kept having a go at me for indicating without checking. I'm a lot better now just through practice. One thing I do us when I'm in the car I do checks like I'm on a bike I don't use the re view mirror and I perform shoulder checks , I may look a bit strange but it really helps with muscule memory.

Mirrors, signal then check.

Look in the mirrors to see how close the idiots are to you.
Indicate to tell the idiots what you are doing.
Check before you move over to make sure theres no idiot beside you
Get into position to make it clear to the idiots what you are doing because they are idiots.

If you are doing shoulder checks before indicating then you are going to need another one before you sort your position out. It doesnt make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading at the 'wife will correct me from behind'. Yes cheap thrills.

Good luck with your test. Very Happy

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:51 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Final lifesavers Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
spongefinger wrote:

Get into position to make it clear to the idiots what you are doing because they are idiots.

If you are doing shoulder checks before indicating then you are going to need another one before you sort your position out. It doesnt make sense.

I'm not doing shoulder checks before indicating I had the habit of not checking my mirrors first so I was, indicating ( but not moving) before checking mirrors or doing both simultaneously.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:25 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do the one before signalling now, got that sorted on my last lesson, this seems to be the final piece of the jigsaw before i should book my test, another reason to get this sorted before my test, is that i think its something i should be doing anyway, after my test

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain why I get the following (solitary) targeted advert in the bottom panel in this thread? Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/MPu3bTo.jpg

IME these adverts tend to target the content of the thread rather than the user's internet browsing history... Rolling Eyes

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Can anyone explain why I get the following (solitary) targeted advert in the bottom panel in this thread? Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/MPu3bTo.jpg

IME these adverts tend to target the content of the thread rather than the user's internet browsing history... Rolling Eyes

You've been hacked by Nobby n Ste.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Final lifesavers Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Hello Pinky.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah hello Pinky n heck why not...Hiya mentalboy.

[Relevant Emoji]

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultimate final lifesaver has to be looking forward as you pull out onto a roundabout. I've seen so many smashes where people move forwards whilst still looking right and run into the car in front...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Do them in the car as well, it helps to program yourself. If you start to look right into the junction when it’s at 45 degrees to you, scanning for approaching traffic, having started to look right it should help you to remember to shoulder check as a progression from that.

It’s not too hard to talk to yourself for the duration of the test too. So “where am I going? Right turn, use my mirror, shoulder check, position…” etc.

Good luck BTW.

I've been doing this too so I get into the muscle memory of it.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:33 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually turned into a side street yesterday, in my car, and mid turn thought damn, forgot my lifesaver lol, did them in the car on the way to work this morning
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1