Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yesterday, sold bike. Today, court threats?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

daws0n wrote:
FFS it doesn't stop:

"By law it is the sellers responsibility to list the bike accuratley, it had been crashed and bodged, that is fraud, I didn't even have to check the bike as the law is on my side, I'm not paying for the repairs Dawson, I'm not unlucky bud, there is no sold as seen! you have very genenerously been offered a chance to pay half the bill, when a tribunal sees that they will throw the book at you, if you don't think you're responsible, then present your case at court,, the bike will be stored for you to collect, I will claim for a full refund, cost of inspection, storage costs court costs and compensation. Don't spend that money bud!"

...but this can all go away for just the low, low sum of... Evil or Very Mad

This is the same tactic the bogus parking company tried to use on me. That actually went to court and I destroyed them with facts and logic Smile

"I will show these messages to my solicitor* please conduct future communications by letter."

*No actual solicitor required at this point but you could ring Citizens' Advice if you're so inclined.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:11 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he send you a photo of this damage then?

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 10:47 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empty words. He isn't gonna go through court costs for £100 lol. Call him a chancer and tell him to jog on.

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:48 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another SMS:

"following the small claims court guidelines, am I officially offering you a chance to resolve this situation before going to court, the bike you sold me has been crashed and the damage concealed, this damage was not listed in your advertisement, bike was advertised as 100% good working order and very good condition. I estimate the damage at around £200 to repair, I am wiling to except half the bill, £100, to save me the time and hassle. if you refuse, I will take you to court for a full refund, plus costs, you have until 9.00am Monday 17/05/21, if the money is not paid by that date and time, I will retract the offer and only except a full refund plus cost. xxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx (bank details obscured by me). ps no more sob stories please, money or court."

Ok now it gets interesting. I've just seen the photo he keeps mentioning (see attached).

Last edited by daws0n on 23:49 - 16 May 2021; edited 2 times in total

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I've just got off the phone with the nice previous owner I bought the bike from.

He is happy to support me in court.

Last edited by daws0n on 22:57 - 16 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send him one last text back saying you've said all you're going to say on the matter and if he still wants to serve papers then that's up to him. Then block number and move on with your life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
KiwiBob This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about those pictures does seem odd

Having trouble trying to find a top view picture of that bike to see where that damage would be.

Seems odd that "fluid is leaking everywhere" after what looks like a 60 mile trip.

Also seems odd that he had to remove a bit of "carbon tape" on a panel that looks like it would have nothing to do with said leak in order to investigate where the leak is coming from.

ಠ_ಠ

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:33 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo on the left is his, the one on the right mine (took for advert)

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would also add, if that is "crash damage" where is the rest of the damage?

I'd certainly be asking for more pictures of the evidence of this crash damage.

ಠ_ಠ

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Would also add, if that is "crash damage" where is the rest of the damage?

I'd certainly be asking for more pictures of the evidence of this crash damage.

I wouldn't even engage with him. Makes it sound like anyone but him is actually concerned and it's potentially not his issue....

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He bought the bike, his wife got grumpy because he spent too much so he's trying it on in order to try to get some cash back. I can't even see where the 'damage' would be on the second bigger picture, it looks like a completely different style of bike.

Tell him to jog on, or take you to court.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:42 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will cost him 200 to lodge a claim that he may lose and he wants 100 from you .. It makes no sense .. Ignore him!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this clown going to prove the damage didn't occur after he bought it?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:26 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mug him off.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
If he texts again tell him you've contacted a solicitor who says there is no case and that if he wishes to take it further you will see him in court!

Please do shut up. Why introduce lying?
KiwiBob This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Block him.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:37 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop replying to his messages.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:00 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop talking to him. Stop posting all of the correspondence on here. If it does go to court, you could be building a case against yourself.

BedsClanger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former solicitor, if I was in your position I'd send him one more message explaining that I completely reject his claim, and that he's welcome to issue proceedings.

I'd say that I'm completely confident of success, since: the principle of 'caveat emptor' applies to private sales; he was afforded ample opportunity to inspect the bike; the bike is as described; and, it is not dangerous or unroadworthy.

I'd add that such a claim is likely to cost him as I'd claim the maximum allowed under the Civil Prodcedure Rules for fixed costs, experts fees, and loss of earnings.

I'd also add that I am blocking any ebay, text, or email comms, and will only reply via post (or online should he issue an online claim) to proceedings, but not any other correspondence.

I'd point out that, in the meantime, he's under an obligation to mitigate his loss, so won't be able to claim storage fees.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He rode the bike home safely, and sent you a text confirming that he did. He left you positive feedback on Ebay.

He then contacted you saying the bike was leaking fluid, suggesting that he'd had the damage priced already by a mechanic. He's also used the word "inspection", suggesting he's incurred costs for doing so. Personally, I find that claim to be unlikely. If you take a faulty bike to a mechanic, do they quote you just for quoting for repair? I've never heard of that.

He has mentioned that fluid leaked down the side of the engine and dried away. I see no evidence of this in your photos or in his one photo. His photo shows a repaired radiator cover. It's unclear how the radiator cover was damaged, or whether this might have been done by someone overtightening the attachment bolts or screws. There is no other visual evidence of any sort of damage.

You have stated that you are not a mechanic and that the bike is roadworthy to the best of your knowledge. You were not aware of any faults. The damage to the radiator cover was not visible unless the bike was dismantled to some extent (panels removed). The bike has had previous owners.

He has stated this is "fraud". Well, it clearly isn't, because fraud is a criminal matter and the police would be involved. He says he thinks he has a contractual claim against you.

I don't think there's anything left to discuss with him.

Just sit back and wait for the small claims form. It may or may not arrive. From the sound of things, he wants you to simply pay him off, and won't take it to court. There is risk in everything, and selling a bike is no exception. Occasionally things like this may happen.

I mean, I'm a former barrister*, and a 6' 7 former boxer*, and bestest of platonic beta orbiters entrusted with the finances of a number of famous female Instagrammers and Youtubers*, etc. so you should give me £100 right now and take my professional advice... Yeah, but no.

*not true

EDIT: caveat emptor on taking professional advice on forums where not everyone is who they say they are. [Shock! Horror!]

You never know if it's just an ambitious 15 year old or a former CAB advisor, etc. Statistics say it probably is:

https://www.mmadigital.co.uk/ratio-of-281-for-law-graduates-to-available-legal-sector-vacancies/

Last edited by Bhud on 15:01 - 15 May 2021; edited 2 times in total

BedsClanger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in case he does issue proceedings, check to see if you have any sort of legal expenses cover on e.g. crdit cards, home insurance etc.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair "I'll see you in court!" does sound rather ominous. It's only after you've taken out or defended a lot you can reply "Big Whoop!" with any confidence.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 15 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see where the damaged part is on the bike, but is there any possibility that the buyer has attached a broken component to the bike just for the purposes of scamming the seller? Might be interesting to review the buyer's eBay buying history.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4