Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Commute recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CaptainCalami...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:10 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Bike Commute recommendations Reply with quote

Hello. New to forum. Not new to biking, although haven’t ridden for 15 years. Last few Bikes owned. Moto Guzzi Jackal, triumph speed triple, ST both old triple style ones. Honda Deauville 650, VFR 750, CBR1000F, and many more.

Car sold, fed up with sitting in traffic so decided I might return to two wheels. Only 25 miles each way, Mixed 50/60mph, country lanes, town, no motorway.

Bike will only be used for commuting, small shopping trips, two up with wife into town or country pub, for touring we use our motorhome.

Go easy I’m a 50 years knackered out old grump, 6ft 1” and gangly.

I’ve been looking at (never even heard of such things when I was riding before) Maxi scooters, Burgman, Silverwings, Forzas.
I like the idea of trying to keep costs to a minimum, ie under 600cc for tax, running costs, insurance is pretty much the same for anything for an old git with more no claims than brain cells.

Budget is up to £2.5k plus gear ,my helmet has been stored in the loft and has had a family of mice using it as a penthouse.

Keep looking at Gumtree, Auto Trader and going round in circles, need to sort something soonish before I’m dragged back into the office next month. Any advice on decent commuters would be very useful. Thanks

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:14 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those roads? Not a scooter. I'd suggest something like a Versys 650, V-strom 650 or something along those lines. Comfy, Upright, quick enough, some weather protection and you can have a bit of fun on it at the weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last few Bikes owned. Moto Guzzi Jackal

Only 25 miles each way, Mixed 50/60mph, country lanes, town

Commuting, small shopping trips, two up with wife into town or country pub

I like the idea of trying to keep costs to a minimum, ie under 600cc for tax, running costs, insurance

Budget is up to £2.5k

You're going to think I'm mad, but given Guzzi I'm going to chance this.

What you've said there is almost exactly what I use my 'second' bike for. And that bike is the one I love the most of any bike I've ever owned..... And it is:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51169471686_2a66643fa4_c.jpg

I'll grant you, it's not a conventional choice for a commuter.

But it's absolutely brilliant in lanes up to 60mph, is cheap for bits, does 80+ mpg, is great for taking the missus to the pub for Sunday lunch:

https://live.staticflickr.com/1727/40600332440_512749997c_c.jpg

In budget, too Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Henry Cole is just out of shot in this one.. Wink
https://live.staticflickr.com/1727/40600332440_512749997c_c.jpg

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:32 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those requirements, really anything you can find in budget. Your requirements don't really rule anything out, your bike history is sufficiently varied to have tried all kinds of things.

Bikes haven't changed that much in the last 15 years. Fewer sports bikes, more soft-roaders. The demographics have shifted - bikers are getting older and richer, so more newish, low mileage stuff up for sale at the end of the PCP term. Covid boredom has meant that anything cheap or project-shaped is being sold for more than it's worth.

Your budget should get you a good selection of 50-70hp middleweight bikes around 10 years old.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:27 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deauville 700

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
bikers are getting...richer

I wish!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:28 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Your budget should get you a good selection of 50-70hp middleweight bikes around 10 years old.

As with Robby I'd just be looking at anything which is in good condition. Early Fazer 600's, Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki SV650 etc.

CaptainCalami...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:17 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I’ll have a look into some of the bikes mentioned. I must admit I did like the old 650 Deauville so the 700 might be interesting. Shame the tax threshold isn’t 700cc instead of 600 before it gets more expensive. But I guess it’s not that much more. I think that’s why I was interested in a 400cc Burgman but if they are no good on a 60mph road then I’ll rethink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon a Kawa ZR7 would make a great commuter with a decent pillion seat for the Mrs. Low-ish performance makes them as cheap as chips but I think they look pretty.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
For those roads? Not a scooter. I'd suggest something like a Versys 650, V-strom 650 or something along those lines. Comfy, Upright, quick enough, some weather protection and you can have a bit of fun on it at the weekend.

Why?

My 600 Silverwing can cope with those road conditions (and motorways, 100mph isn't an issue) with ease, has excellent weather protection, can swallow a week's shopping and give me some fun if I want it.

I would say it would be a great choice for the OP, given his requirements and the fact it was already on his list.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:44 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

My 600 Silverwing can cope with those road conditions (and motorways, 100mph isn't an issue) with ease, has excellent weather protection, can swallow a week's shopping and give me some fun if I want it.

I would say it would be a great choice for the OP, given his requirements and the fact it was already on his list.

For many reasons:

1.) Scooters are crap
2.) Scooters are crap
3.) Scooters are crap
4.) He's commuting on twisty roads, he needs something with good handling, and the ability to get half decent tyres.
5.) Not sure if I mentioned this, scooters are crap.

I'm being slightly flippant, but coping and being fun are very different things.

If I was commuting an hour each way on a straight motorway through winter I might consider a maxi scoot. Otherwise I'd consider something with... er... actual handling?

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:57 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind occasionally getting the belts changed, you might think about something like this ?

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/mC4AAOSw7spdzDPi/$_3.JPG

The 750ss is (just) within budget. This has the equivalent power of an inline 4 600cc, but obviously a lot more torque.

I had the 900 and it was a fabulous all rounder. .... its certainly far more interesting than most jap equivalents .....

I keep looking at these again... I suspect at some point I'll own another one ..... once I get the space in the garage .....

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:45 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
If you don't mind occasionally getting the belts changed, you might think about something like this ?

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/mC4AAOSw7spdzDPi/$_3.JPG

The 750ss is (just) within budget. This has the equivalent power of an inline 4 600cc, but obviously a lot more torque.

I had the 900 and it was a fabulous all rounder. .... its certainly far more interesting than most jap equivalents .....

I keep looking at these again... I suspect at some point I'll own another one ..... once I get the space in the garage .....

Surprisingly uncomfortable, expensive to service... Not a great suggestion IMO.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Shaft wrote:

For many reasons:

1.) Scooters are crap
2.) Scooters are crap
3.) Scooters are crap
4.) He's commuting on twisty roads, he needs something with good handling, and the ability to get half decent tyres.
5.) Not sure if I mentioned this, scooters are crap.

I'm being slightly flippant, but coping and being fun are very different things.

If I was commuting an hour each way on a straight motorway through winter I might consider a maxi scoot. Otherwise I'd consider something with... er... actual handling?

Sorry, but that reads like it was written by somebody with little or no experience of good maxi scooters.

I've been living with mine for 3 years now and it has perfectly good Bridgestone tyres and has surprised many a 'real' biker on the twisties, not least the guy on the BMW who clearly thought he was going to ride round me on sharp entry slip, then got all willy wavy when I powered under him and fucked off down the road.

Don't write off scooters, it's very fashionable amongst the biker snobs to assume they are crap, but they can be pretty quick and a well ridden one will surprise you in the handling stakes.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:59 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it far more comfortable than the 916 and did all my own servicing. I think belts, filters and Oil came in at less than £200.

Its horses for courses, but for some its the journey that's enjoyable, rather than the destination.

Of course, if the latter mattered far more, than a jap tourer would do the job well....

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:16 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I found it far more comfortable than the 916 and did all my own servicing. I think belts, filters and Oil came in at less than £200

More comfortable than a 916? Laughing It's also more comfortable than having an 8 inch spike rammed up your behind, but I don't use that as an argument! Laughing

With regard to scooters, I have a similar objection to them as I do to cruisers. They are dynamically flawed compared to other motorcycles. In the case of scooters, the engine attached to the swinging arm, the small wheels, the short forks. I know some Maxis have engines in the frame but I can't honestly see a CVT feet forward motorcycle being more fun than a 650 twin commuter. I can see their practicality on a long winter motorway run, or for someone who isn't 'into' bikes as such, so that gives them a bunch of notches over a cruiser, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. As I said, my response was flippant, but I just don't like them, and I don't see why anyone who can ride a geared full sized motorcycle would go for a scoot over a geared full sized motorcycle.

CaptainCalami...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:36 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at these huge scooters quite a bit. Like the comfort, screen, low cost, storage under seat and basic easy ride. I’m not buying this for flipping about country lanes and rides at weekends. Not into any of that. Mainly 90% usage will be commuting. Never ridden a maxi scooter so probably a good idea to test ride one I guess.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:02 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

While £30 of tax is annoying, its not enough to write off anything over 600cc imo.

However, honda cb500x would fit the bill perfect, just still too new to fit the budget.

650 transalp, vstrom, versys 650, honda nc700, zzr600 some other options.

CaptainCalami...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:06 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor is pot holes in extremely poor maintained roads these days, definitely worse than when I used to ride. Going on bikes like the Translap or similar, would these be safer ?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:07 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't read too much into it. Marge hates scooters because they offend his sperg-sense and he's too little to reach the handlebars. Shaft likes them because they have enough storage to carry everything you need for a coming-out party, and break down less often than his stable of 40 year old bikes.

They both get a pass because Marge's Buell was the best bike I ever rode, and Shaft's Corvette was the coolest car I've had a ride in.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainCalamity wrote:
I have been looking at these huge scooters quite a bit. Like the comfort, screen, low cost, storage under seat and basic easy ride. I’m not buying this for flipping about country lanes and rides at weekends. Not into any of that. Mainly 90% usage will be commuting. Never ridden a maxi scooter so probably a good idea to test ride one I guess.

I can't recommend mine highly enough.

I was in a similar position to you, in that I wanted something to do a 50 mile commute on (I've got a bit of motorway thrown in as well) and people kept saying that I should try a scooter - I was extremely sceptical, but I narrowed my choice down to a Silverwing or a Deauville and the 'Wing came up first.

To say I was pleasantly surprise is a massive understatement, I actually bought it fully expecting to hate it, but it's the most fun I've had on a bike for years.

Fully automatic obviously leaves you with nothing to think about except where you are on the road, but 600cc also means proper performance.

All the naysayers were going on about tiny wheels being upset by potholes and stuff, then terminal weave at anything approaching speed, but I can happily tell you mine is completely stable at speeds well into 3 figures (on private roads of course) and I can't say I've noticed any problems with wheel size.

There's a range of tyre choices (as said, I've got Bridgestone Battlax on mine, never had any grip issues) if you have a decent sized top box, the total storage capacity is like a small car and the weather protection is excellant.

Two tips if you buy one: make very sure the steering head bearings are new, or keep a tidy budget for replacement at some point - the originals don't last well and it's the worst job on the bike, even the owner's forum says it's a sod of a thing to do.

And the fuel consumption drops dramatically at high speed (probably something to do with it having the frontal area of a small house) so your range can get annoyingly short, because it's only got a little tank - I get about 120-130 miles if I keep the motorway bit to around 60mph, if I screw it on I've had it down to under 100, but it only costs about 15 quid to fill it up.

I would say try one, I don't think you will be disappointed.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:36 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
...but they can be pretty quick and a well ridden one will surprise you in the handling stakes.

If you think they are good in the handling stakes it means you have never pushed one hard enough.

I grew up on scooters (lambrettas, vespas, etc) and whilst engines and design have come a long way, the wheel size has pretty much remained... well, scooter size.

The small wheels will never out-perform a larger diameter wheel. On perfectly flat tarmac they maybe comparable, but as soon as you hit uneven surfaces each wheel type has its own characterics and abilities. The bigger the irregularities in the surface the more extreme the effects. Small wheels struggle to get out of ruts, and to put it in a nutshell the smaller wheel will secumb to a pot hole en route long before a larger wheel. I learn't the hard way, luckily it was off road.

..and just because you overtook one numpty, or someone that didn't give a toss what you were doing, doesn't make scooters the bees knees. Funny how people suddenly wake up to the pityful speed they're doing, when someone goes to overtake. You sound like the bloke that gets overtaken at 29, then he sits up you ass at 40.

Just saying.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

If you think they are good in the handling stakes it means you have never pushed one hard enough.

I grew up on scooters (lambrettas, vespas, etc) and whilst engines and design have come a long way, the wheel size has pretty much remained... well, scooter size.

The small wheels will never out-perform a larger diameter wheel. On perfectly flat tarmac they maybe comparable, but as soon as you hit uneven surfaces each wheel type has its own characterics and abilities. The bigger the irregularities in the surface the more extreme the effects. Small wheels struggle to get out of ruts, and to put it in a nutshell the smaller wheel will secumb to a pot hole en route long before a larger wheel. I learn't the hard way, luckily it was off road.

..and just because you overtook one numpty, or someone that didn't give a toss what you were doing, doesn't make scooters the bees knees. Funny how people suddenly wake up to the pityful speed they're doing, when someone goes to overtake. You sound like the bloke that gets overtaken at 29, then he sits up you ass at 40.

Just saying.

And comparing a Lambretta to a modern maxi scooter, makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Just saying.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden a maxi rental on holiday, two up in some good twist, well surfaced roads. It really surprised me. It was fun, handled well, a pillion made zero difference and was surprisingly capable of making progress. My biggest complaint was that it was jarring over bumps with the smaller wheels and short suspension travel but I was seriously surprised by how capable it was overall.

I can definitely see the appeal, but it's not what I want at the moment. Too many normal bikes which suit what I want better. Each to their own and if they do appeal, try one before writing it off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2