Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Network Access Storage drive login issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Network Access Storage drive login issues Reply with quote

For many years I've run a NAS drive on my home network with all my data on; I set it up years ago and it's basically configured as drive P:, so I can seamlessly access it from any computer on the network. It just... works.

However I've increasingly been having problems accessing it from my laptop... it typically hunts for ages and comes up with an error message - often it's a Windows Security message asking for a username and password (it's definitely set up without them); and FWIW anything I then enter generates "user name or password is incorrect".

Usually I just try rebooting my laptop and/or NAS and/or router, and usually some combo of these gets things working again (I've never been able to nail it down to a specific device though). It's been getting worse though - today, it just won't play ball at all. However, I've just got my spare laptop out, and that has connected to drive P: no trouble at all.

It's the intermittent nature of the problem which really has me foxed. Any ideas?

EDIT: - another error message which looks rather more specific (but other giving a hint why rebooting my kit sometimes works, still not helping me):
"An error occurred while reconnecting P: to \\COBRA\Data Microsoft Windows Network. Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
This connection has not been restored.
"

*Equipment is:
Netgear ReadyNas Duo NAS
VirginMedia Hub 3.0 modem/router
TP-Link SG1008 switch
Lenovo X260 laptop
Lenovo X201 laptop

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble connecting to my elderly NAS drive recently and it's because the software had stopped using the legacy connection protocal by default.

Admittedly this was in Linux so it was the samba protocals which wont be your problem but I wonder if something similar could be going on? Mine could see the drive and kept asking me for login credentials but then failed to connect.

Happily, being linux, I only had to change one digit in a text file to make it work again.

I wonder if something similar has happened with windows? I mean, windows 10 installed a print driver update the other week that blue-screened every PC in my work if you tried to print a .pdf document on our particular brand of printer. The fix was not exactly elegant either, more of a dirty workaround -the implication from MS being we should have bought a different brand of printer.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NAS (Raspberry Pi + cold storage drive) recently died and I had a similar problem. My problem turned out to be a permissions issue but here's a few things to run through...

Your NAS is probably running some variant of Samba so check what SMB versions it supports. To play nice with Windows 10 you'd probably want =>v2.1 and disable v1.0. You might also want to disable guest access to simplify things.

The "multiple connections" error is down to you trying different logins (guest access sorta counts as one too.) Worth clearing out all the cached credentials from Control > User Accounts > Credential Manager. Existing connections can be listed with NET USE and removed with NET USE <connection> /DELETE.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:51 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I had an issue with an old LG nas. What I had to do was to change the paths to LG-NAS.local for some reason. This was after a slew of windows updates, so I wonder if Microsoft broke some legacy support for their own networking protocol, or perhaps specifically breaking alongside a peculiarity in Samba. Maybe every network request now goes via the internet unless you specifically say so when using certain very niche (legacy) protocols? No idea. I just know what I did to fix it.

Some further updates recently seemed to resolve the problem. Admittedly it didn't have exactly the symptoms you describe but very close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Your NAS is probably running some variant of Samba so check what SMB versions it supports. To play nice with Windows 10 you'd probably want =>v2.1 and disable v1.0. You might also want to disable guest access to simplify things.

This, except older NAS boxes only work on SMB V1.0 which is disabled on new Win10 builds.

Latest builds of Win10 really screw up NAS access on older boxes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:24 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

This, except older NAS boxes only work on SMB V1.0 which is disabled on new Win10 builds.

That was the exact problem I had. They disabled V1.0 in the latest Ubuntu and Debian builds. It's still in there though, just needed the samba setup file modifying by 1 digit. so it enabled the legacy versions.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

But with good reason. SMBv1 is a security nightmare.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
But with good reason. SMBv1 is a security nightmare.

True but if you're dealing with a "Trusted Network" i.e. just local LAN with no outside access convenience > security for most people.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:42 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way round that without having to buy a new NAS drive though?

I'm sure if it's on site, you could deal with any security issues you have at router level.

If you're at all worried about some hacker looking at your holiday photos from 12 years ago that is.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the replies.

So my ageing NAS does indeed run Samba apparently; all this is a bit over my head though as I'd never even heard of SMB until today. I found a button in the NAS settings where I can simply turn SMB on or off; that's all there is: I assume it must be v1.0 in the absence of any other info, and because it's old. It can't be upgraded anyway; I'm on the latest (pretty old) firmware.

I've also been into my Windows 10 settings where I've found the following:

https://i.imgur.com/qjeXdsV.jpg

- so that sounds OK doesn't it, providing I'm happy running dodgy SMB v1?

@Easy-X: Regarding the "multiple connections" thing this is my credentials manager page - how do I delete the cached credentials?

https://i.imgur.com/ZszaeOl.jpg

Finally, here's the result of NET USE:
It just shoes the two shared folders I have configured, as expected (except today they show "Disconnected" as I can't connect to them):

https://i.imgur.com/yBGx6q3.jpg

Does any of this help to diagnose what's wrong? Crying or Very sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:43 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the drive itself is both on and working?

Can you plug one of the laptops directly into it? I know mine will mount as an external HDD as well as a NAS if you plug into it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Have you checked the drive itself is both on and working?

Oh yes, certainly is! It was working fine this earlier this afternoon as well; but this afternoon it won't connect again. FWIW I can always log in to the NAS control panel without any problem, and everything looks perfectly fine.

stinkwheel wrote:
Can you plug one of the laptops directly into it? I know mine will mount as an external HDD as well as a NAS if you plug into it.

No. It's configured to do an incremental backup every night to an external HDD, and it never misses a beat doing that regardless of whether it's playing silly buggers over access from my laptop. So I'm convinced the NAS itself is inherently in full working order!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
@Easy-X: Regarding the "multiple connections" thing this is my credentials manager page - how do I delete the cached credentials?

https://i.imgur.com/ZszaeOl.jpg

Finally, here's the result of NET USE:
It just shoes the two shared folders I have configured, as expected (except today they show "Disconnected" as I can't connect to them):

https://i.imgur.com/yBGx6q3.jpg

Does any of this help to diagnose what's wrong? Crying or Very sad

Just hit "Remove" under that COBRA/admin entry at the top of the list. Accessing the resource again will force Windows to ask for fresh credentials (in case you've mistyped a password.)

Before trying again though you'd still need to delete those existing connections even though they say "disconnected" i.e.

Code:
NET USE \\COBRA\Media /DELETE
NET USE \\COBRA\Data\Documents /DELETE

Essentially I'm saying start with a blank slate Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just hit "Remove" under that COBRA/admin entry at the top of the list. Accessing the resource again will force Windows to ask for fresh credentials (in case you've mistyped a password.)

Thanks. OK, just did that, no probs.

Easy-X wrote:
Before trying again though you'd still need to delete those existing connections even though they say "disconnected" i.e.

Code:
NET USE \\COBRA\Media /DELETE
NET USE \\COBRA\Data\Documents /DELETE

... and then did that too, and got this:

https://i.imgur.com/j6KC8Mz.jpg

But as you can see the 'Disconnected' drives are still there...???

The password I'm using is definitely correct, as I can successfully access the NAS's web interface/control panel (and I can even always do that when the NAS is not accessible via Windows).
So what does this mean??

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credential Manager

Look for the NAS name or IP and delete it and saved creds.

GO back to browsing to it and t hen it should prompt you to re-enter the creds.

if it's Win10 and new service packs it will have disabled SMBv1

Control - turn windows features on or off - scroll down to SMB and make sure SMB1.0CIFS client is ticked.

Or just get a newer NAS with a newer OS that doesn't need legacy access.

net use /del * to remove drives.

then to remap where H ( or whatever letter you want) is the drive letter.

net use H: \\IPaddress\sharename /persistent:yes

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Look for the NAS name or IP and delete it and saved creds.

Nothing there - had already done that stage at my last post

UncleBFester wrote:
scroll down to SMB and make sure SMB1.0CIFS client is ticked.

Yes, already ticked (in fact it's never not been ticked AFAIK - see screengrab in my last post)

UncleBFester wrote:
net use /del * to remove drives.

Now - that worked, whereas for some reason trying to delete the individual maps (as in my last screen grab) did not. Both my disconnected M: and P: drives have now gone...

UncleBFester wrote:
net use H: \\IPaddress\sharename /persistent:yes

And that worked too - I just reinstated M: and P: that way, and instantly I regained access to those drives again via Windows, so great. Time will tell whether they stick this time; but meanwhile, thanks a lot!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further odd problem I've run into is if you have a mixture of Win10 and Win other computers after enabling SMB V1 only the Win10 computers will be able to access the NAS.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unmapping of drives when it's old stuff always seems to work better as an MS-DOS command than it does via the GUI.

if you were really that arsed you could save those two commands in a .bat file and run them as you log on. Or just save them in a .bat file that you run if / when you get issues.

I had an ancient Buffalo Terastation that was a constant pain for this, it got sold on ebay and replaced by a new Netgear one which dooesn't give me any bother at all.

Happy that one bit of old fashioned IT knowledge helped Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, deleting the drive letters Doh! Sorry I missed that!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
if you were really that arsed you could save those two commands in a .bat file and run them as you log on. Or just save them in a .bat file that you run if / when you get issues.

Ah yes, I'm old enough to remember creating .bat files in MS-DOS! I've just set one up on my desktop, and although I've yet to try it in anger yet it seems to work fine.

.bat follow-up query...

So my file contains:
net use /del *
net use M: \\COBRA\Media /persistent:yes
net use P: \\COBRA\Data\Documents /persistent:yes

After executing line 2, it asks me at the commands prompt "Enter the username for 'COBRA':", and then similarly asks for the password. Now racking my brains, as a 'nice-to-have', I'm sure there's a simple way of having those variables included in the .bat file, isn't there...?? Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - or you can just manually enter them as windows credentials in credential manager - see if that sorts it.

OR

net use (driveletter): \\networkShare\Test /u:domainname\username password

it will either be /U:NASNAME\username password or /U:.\username password or /U:username password

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Ah yes, I'm old enough to remember creating .bat files in MS-DOS! I've just set one up on my desktop, and although I've yet to try it in anger yet it seems to work fine.

@Fester Just following up to report that I've had occasion to test out my .bat file 'in anger' for the first time just now - worked like a dream. Thanks again.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one - keeps a bit of old hardware in use for a bit longer Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 14 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Yes - or you can just manually enter them as windows credentials in credential manager - see if that sorts it.

OR

net use (driveletter): \\networkShare\Test /u:domainname\username password

it will either be /U:NASNAME\username password or /U:.\username password or /U:username password

@Fester - although my batch file works really well, I never did manage to sort out how to include the user name and password so that it remounts the drives automagically. My original problem seems to have got worse in that almost every time the laptop hibernates or powers down I lost the networked drives, so it would be nice for the remount to happen by itself at boot up. I don't think I'm quite following your instructions above correctly - any chance you could clarify how to amend the batch file?.

The batch file's as follows:

net use /del *
net use M: \\COBRA\Media /persistent:yes
net use P: \\COBRA\Data\Documents /persistent:yes

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 14 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start - run - cred

Runs credential manager

Check you have the ip address or name of the NAS there saved with username and password.

Have a read of this Smile

https://www.howtogeek.com/118452/how-to-map-network-drives-from-the-command-prompt-in-windows/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2