Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Secondary coil readings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Secondary coil readings Reply with quote

Having problems with one of the Deauvilles.

Intermittent spark failure on the rear cylinder. Coils primary is 2.8 ohms, secondary 196, (might be Kohms, can't remember.) so all within expected parameters.

I've taken the coil off my other Deauville, same model and year which has no spark problems which has 2.9 ohms on the primary and 240 (again might be Kohms) which is 20% over the expected reading.

Both coils are the same part with the same length of HT lead and the same model plug caps.

So oddness aside what effect will a higher resistance in the secondary windings have?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher resistance usually implies there are more windings (but obviously also depends on wire material and thickness) so one would expect a slightly different output voltage if the coils are built differently. Then again is the peak AC-output of one bike higher than the other Thinking

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check those measurements - secondarys are normally in the region of 15-20 KOhms.

Is this a single coils with two outputs - cos then the you have to measure differently..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I'd check those measurements - secondarys are normally in the region of 15-20 KOhms.

Is this a single coils with two outputs - cos then the you have to measure differently..

the readings are correct, not sure of the scale as new Fluke that I'm not used to. Readings are consistent with the Haynes book of lies.

The coil with the higher secondary has been fitted tot he defective Deauville and interestingly has raised the idle slightly.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measuring any coil would depend in many instances by the age and condition of the component.Copper wire suffers from skin effect with useage.

The turns ratio of any coil will also differ slightly from one coil to another,even a component that feeds two cylinders like the Honda CD200T Benley that I used to own many years ago.These engines utilise the wasted spark method as is generally known.

The Haynes manuals that I have for for several bikes show the method of measuring the secondary resistance with one of the two multimeter probes shoved into the end of the spark plug cap.The disparity in resistance between two plug caps,even new ones,is quite surprising at times,given that they are specified as being 5,000 ohms on the packaging.Take this factor out of the equation and measure the secondary resistance with the probe inserted into the end of the ignition lead to get the best indication of the circuit.Sometimes there is some corrosion of the copper wire strands so cutting 5mm or so off the end of the lead can make a difference.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any help at all, the CBR had a low speed stutter. I measured all coils (4x coil on plug) and all primary and secondary winding values were within spec, and all apart from one were quite close to each other in value.

Going off the manual alone wouldn't have helped me much, but I would have thought the odd one out was the faulty.

I bought four used coils and just swapped them all in one go in the end, rather than mucking about, but by process of elimination one of them was dodgy as the bike runs fine ever since.

tldr; you'll probably not know until you swap it, and if it's fine on the new coil just leave well alone and put a new one on, and return the other to its rightful owner.

As for what the higher resistance on the secondary would do, well I thought as the ratio of turns would make the spark voltage higher/lower, so the higher resistance must also have an impact on the final spark output, but if it improves it as you would expect with more windings in the secondary (or in this case, higher difference/ratio between primary and secondary resistances), well I'm not sure.

It might make it weaker in this case, as the same number of turns as before, but the resistance is higher in the 'recieving' circuit, because of degradation. It's frying my brain, hopefully doesn't fry the ECU if there’s also excessive electrical noise.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:24 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two reasons why a coil would have a higher resistance.

1) thinner wire used on the coil which increases the resistance per unit of length (I'm ignoring different materials)
2) more windings which increase the number of unit lengths of your wire in the coil

I suspect that your more resistive secondary has thinner wire so that more windings can fit in the same space.

More windings will increase the voltage of your spark, which tends to make them more consistant but at the trade of the coil being slightly less reliable because thinner wire melts easier.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the other Deauville is almost rebuilt after the coolant problem and has the suspected defective coil on it and misfires so it's safe to assume that it is defective even though all readings are within the expected parameters.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1