Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikes and Aquaplaning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:09 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Bikes and Aquaplaning Reply with quote

So... Can bikes remain upright when aquaplaning?

Technically can the required correctional forces be maintained to balance? I mean water does give a slight resistance, so what do you guys think. Can I cane it through surface water as long as I don't try and change direction? Works fine in the car.

Asking for a friend Just asking

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much skill and experience do you have?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes will want to fall over if aquaplaning.
Bikes wobble from out of balance left-balanced-out of balance right-balanced-out of balance left. And bla bla bla.

They need to have friction between the bike and the road/ground to enable out of balance to be corrected by the steering.

But If you are carrying enough momentum you will probably skim through a patch of water aquaplaning.
But probably fall over when out of balance/lack of skill overcomes the effect of momentum and the gyro effect of the wheels spinning.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:59 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a road bike aquaplane, and I have hit standing water going pretty damned fast.

If it does truly aquaplane, you'll pretty much lose all friction in the same way as hitting ice or deep mud/gravel, the bike will continue going straight on at the same speed according to the forces acting on it when you lost grip. Rider input will do almost exactly fuck-all, maybe a slight gyroscopic effect from the wheels which will tend to make you stay more upright than you otherwise would have done with non-moving wheels.

I suppose the gyroscopic effect might exert some slight rotational forces, but probably not much. Prehaps also a slight rudder action from the front as it ploughs through the water? I'd suggest you probably want to keep it pointing in the direction you are going in anticipation of grip returning anyway (if it's pointing in a different direction when it grips, well, I don't need to paint a picture here).

If you were gong straight and level and pointing at where you want to be when this all happens, you are in luck, try to hang on and don't fuck with anything until grip returns. If you weren't, well, it will still keep going in a straight line if that's where you want to be or not. Tough luck if you are trying to brake or manouver. Note that it may not necessarily keep FACING in a straight line, even if it's GOING in a straight line.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skill and experience bit comes into play as when you hit the water your speed will drop massively and you need to not do anything, steer or brake and you will more than likely go swimming.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:31 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going fast enough to aquaplane on a bike with its small contact patch you are going far too fast for the conditions.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you’d be straight on your arse. In the absence of balancing friction under the tyres wouldn’t the gyroscopic precession of rotating wheel(s) move the bike away from straight, level, upright?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For straight line stuff ..... To be aquaplaning you must do something to break traction either by steering / braking / accelerating. Otherwise you *should* make it out the other side.

Same as in a car if you hit water / ice .... back gently off the throttle ( some experts say dip the clutch) but the idea is to keep the wheels moving at the same speed you are travelling until you have exited the water at which point smoothly engage drive again.

How well that works without the cat like reflexes of a pro i'm less sure. For the less talented amongst us. driving to the conditions is probably a more realistic aim.

If it's on a corner as per Stinkwheel - good luck.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:05 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Martin aquaplaned half way across a lake so it is doable.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Was he “aquaplaning” though? Depends on the definition. I’ve assumed it means a complete lack of friction. Guy had enough to accelerate, or at least maintain momentum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame Marmalade isn't here more often, he can tell you what aquaplaning a Pan European at speed is like - having seen the after pictures, not very pleasant, would be my guess.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:20 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I couldn't keep with Marm when he was on a pan with trailer and I was on an exup I've got nothing more to say on the subject.....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:59 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The skill and experience bit comes into play as when you hit the water your speed will drop massively and you need to not do anything, steer or brake and you will more than likely go swimming.

I think you are talking more about hitting deep water rather than what I think of as aquaplaning.

If you're truly aquaplaning, it would tend to happen suddenly and where the water isn't necessarily very deep. You're effectively travelling on top of a thin skin of water under the tyre. There is negligeable friction between the tyre and the road, like hitting ice. Exactly like hitting ice. You don't slow down much, you just lose all control.

Like when you see people skimboarding at the beach.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:30 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it.

It will frighten the shite right out of you, is all I'm saying.

I won't do it twice.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slamming the rear brake on too hard on the Keeway in the rain was disconcerting enough... at 10mph Shocked

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If you are going fast enough to aquaplane on a bike with its small contact patch you are going far too fast for the conditions.

That is precisely what went through my tiny mind when I hit a big puddle in shitty weather at the bottom of Haldon Hill about 8 years ago.

So, yes they do, make sure that you have a spare pair of kecks handy!

I hit a relatively small puddle in the type of rain conditions that result in standing water across the whole carriageway because it can't clear fast enough. I was doing about 80 (blame the anti-depressants Laughing ). Everything just went light handling-wise, very similar to the feeling you get through the bars when the front wheel leaves the deck. I was on the Zed, so don't think that it won't happen to you if you're on a heavy sports-tourer!

I've 'planed the Tundra a couple of times over here and, to be perfectly honest, I find that is far scarier - probably because one's mind is no longer clouded by Doctor Quack's chemical shit.

Edit: Ranking one's pant-staining top 4 incidents.
Aquaplaning factored in at a healthy number 4 right up there with black ice.
At number 3 we have throwing a Z400 under the front of a Shell artic, bodysurfing down the white line and ending up beside the rear wheels.
Number 2 hitting gravel on a bend in a country lane.
And the big reveal, Mentalboy's least favourite biking experience was riding through a tankslapper on a 250 after hitting every biker's favourite, the cast iron manhole cover, in the pissing rain.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Didn't he take the precaution of welding a small surfboard to the bottom of the bike first, though?

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of poor Marmalade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I read the headline I looked for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYLKSYnrN0

The factors that could have caused this event might well fill a page,but I would think the top causes could have been the depth of the water,the depth of the tread pattern and its ability to disperse water....amongst many others.

Coming off in wet conditions is never very nice and my first recollection goes back to September 1975 on my way to college.But I put that down to a Nitto 'safety' tyre on the front of my CB125S,which was very soon after changed for an Avon Speedmaster rib.This type of tyre served me well in the wet for many thousands of miles after.

I would also say that confidence in riding in the rain is also a big factor.I could not see anything wrong with riding quickly in very heavy rain on the way home from the WSB in Assen years ago.Many other vehicles were pulling off the road which made it easier,except for a Porsher who decided not to go over ***mph to keep up.

Having ridden dirt bikes for many years has also quickened the reactions whether it was the front or the back that slid out in a big way.Once again,tyre quality and condition made the experience fun instead of dangerous.

Always have a 'Plan B'

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:33 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
.But I put that down to a Nitto 'safety' tyre on the front of my CB125S,which was very soon after changed for an Avon Speedmaster rib.This type of tyre served me well in the wet for many thousands of miles after.

Groove-cut tyres are VERY effective at shifting water from under the tread. Even formula 1 wets were plain groove-cut until comparatively recently. They lose some effectiveness as the grooves wear, hence the variations in pattern you see these days.

I've seen me on a trials stage where it was so slippery, you'd have fallen over if you'd tried to get off the bike, such is the grip of the tyres.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:51 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info guys, & thank you for the responses.

I ask because I regularly hit standing water (in my car) on motorways, knowing full well that as long as pick the point I want at the end and aim for it before hittting the water, and don't try anything stupid like braking or changing direction, Newtons Laws see me through.

However, I'm not convinced that the small amount of resistance required for balance would be available, and as such I think the comments here enforce the belief that 'ride for the conditions' is the right choice here.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet Race tyre for bikes are fascinating things.

Soft for extra grip, the tyre surface conforms to the road to increase the effects of friction.
And hundred of grooves to pump water out from under the tyre.
I know NW200 (Possibly all NI) road racing require treaded tyres for all racing. Perhaps IOM can use slicks.

But Wet Race treaded tyres are something special. I remember a comentator say they are/were only available for racing. Maybe even only for official race events.

Just checked, The big makers make wet race tyres. Joe Public can buy them.

e.g.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/Michelin-Power-Rain-Motorcycle-Tyres/m-m-18297.aspx?PartnerID=21&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkZiFBhD9ARIsAGxFX8DQ1g8XgRCG3D3rA1sW2y4tPA7EpGpWjz85sVymVfHuH-ju0eyjqQkaAl0FEALw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 20:29 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way to work one early morning on my GSX1400 ... heavy rain ... doing 80-90 and hit a big puddle in the fast lane!

When the bars went full right lock it took a second or so to realise I was aquaplaning ... a few seconds later they went back to centre.

My usual riding style is a loose grip on the bars, and it's this I put down to the bike sorting itself out.

Needless to say, I slowed down .... I still don't understand to this day how the bike didn't cartwheel down the road .... pure luck!

All the best ... Barry

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:23 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon someone should volunteer and test the outcome a few times for consistency of results, should make for an interesting video. You know, just so we know.

They could fit training wheels to ensure the bike would last till tests completed....any offers?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
As soon as I read the headline I looked for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYLKSYnrN0

That wouldn't have happened if we had Wipers for Visors (TM).

If you keep your aquaplaning under around 300 feet, it'll be reet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TYB7DYWI4G8
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2