Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back after a (ahem) few years

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:00 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Back after a (ahem) few years Reply with quote

So - I'm getting back into bikes after a couple of decades away. (kids mortgage the ususal). I have a full licence, and was looking at a Thruxton as a good compromise. A modern superbike will just spit me off !
I have been looking at the IAMs and think somesort of refresher is a good idea.

I'm looking for advice on good disk locks and chains and anything else that I should know. It's been a long time.

(if it helps I'm 56, and 6'2" and lardy)

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Back after a (ahem) few years Reply with quote

Brilliant - welcome back
Phage wrote:
I have been looking at the IAMs and think somesort of refresher is a good idea.

Yes advanced training is always a good thing; but if this is literally going to be your first time back on 2 wheels in 20 years, I'd suggest doing what someone suggested to me (after a 30-year hiatus) and going to talk to a riding school. Mine weren't at all surprised to see someone like me, and I ended up with the best part of a day on a CB500 which they provided me with along with a 1:1 instructor, off and on road. Was really, really helpful.

The advantage of doing this is you get a quick crash course in the basics and staying alive at the outset, whereas RoSPA/IAM etc will be a course lasting weeks or months

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the security side, search Pragmasis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo both the above comments.

I still have the odd hour with a local instructor, the git keeps me on my toes. They're not worried about helping you pass a test, or learn to ride a bike from scratch, they're helping you shake the rust off, so it's a nice change of pace for them.

Pragmasis, and Almax do sod-off chains and locks. Nothings totally grinder proof, but you want to make it less appealing than the next target.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the Triumph showroon take a look a the new Trident, unless your sold of the retro look.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:09 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. I'll check out the local riding schools. The main issue is not many provide loaner bikes. Are you aware of any in the SE, preferably Kent or Sussex ?

Googling Pragmasis now. I can see that I'll need an anchor and chain for home, and that D lock for trips ?

That Trident does look good. reasonably priced too. How big is it for me at 6'2" ?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Torq Maxi anchors - they're excellent quality and easy to fit. Would recommend.

Out and about just think layers. The biggest chain you'd reasonably carry is 16mm - realistically 13mm - and they would be gone through with a grinder in less than a few minutes.

Disc locks, more portable chain, cover. More layers, the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
I'll check out the local riding schools. The main issue is not many provide loaner bikes.

To be clear, they're likely not to hire them out just as loaners, but if (I assume) what you're after want is a lesson with an instructor on a riding school bike, then that's simply exactly what any school does (learners need to be on a 'big' bike to take their 'big bike' test, but without a 'big bike' license they aren't allowed on the road unaccompanied by an instructor, so AFAIK the only way in practice is for the school to provide the bike)

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:

That Trident does look good. reasonably priced too. How big is it for me at 6'2" ?

Sorry, I couldn't say. Let us know though once you've had a sit on.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:08 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Phage wrote:
I'll check out the local riding schools. The main issue is not many provide loaner bikes.

To be clear, they're likely not to hire them out just as loaners, but if (I assume) what you're after want is a lesson with an instructor on a riding school bike, then that's simply exactly what any school does (learners need to be on a 'big' bike to take their 'big bike' test, but without a 'big bike' license they aren't allowed on the road unaccompanied by an instructor, so AFAIK the only way in practice is for the school to provide the bike)

Yes exactly - a supervised ride / traing session would be exactly what I'm after. Got a bloke calling me back tonight.

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:03 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are people's thoughts on disc locks for a quick trip to the sea front ? If so, which ones ?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
What are people's thoughts on disc locks for a quick trip to the sea front ? If so, which ones ?

Hmm? I’ve never ridden a disc lock to the coast Confused .

I have a disc lock and it travels with me everywhere I go with my bike.
Small enough to pack away, and still a bit of a deterrent.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:30 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work I just rely on the armed police to be a deterrent....

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:05 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I have a disc lock and it travels with me everywhere I go with my bike.
Small enough to pack away, and still a bit of a deterrent.

Exactly - which are the good disc locks ?

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:39 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The one you will use and remember to remove I/We see lots of bikes needing very expensive repairs due to riding off with a disk lock still on ! Me I will not use or sell one without an alarm not to deal with thieves but for the rider !

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one you will use! and remember to remove! I/We see lots of bikes needing very expensive repairs due to riding off with a disk lock still on ! Me I will not use or sell one without an alarm not to deal with thieves but for the rider !

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:

If you go with the Pragmasis chain option then their roundlock doubles up as a disc lock (not on all bikes, I might add, some don't have the space to accept it). They're very tough, but don't come with a reminder cable. Friend of mine sticks an old smelly sock over his ignition, the sock he uses to carry the disc lock, so that it reminds him to take it off before he rides away. Also, mount the disc lock hard up against the caliper so that if you are going to ride away you don't have any time to build even a slight amount of speed.

Other than that, choose a bike then choose a disc lock based on what you can see, to ensure it fits through. Anything Squire / Abus / Almax / Pragmasis is a good shout. Avoid Oxford.

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:42 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

If you go with the Pragmasis chain option then their roundlock doubles up as a disc lock (not on all bikes, I might add, some don't have the space to accept it). They're very tough, but don't come with a reminder cable. Friend of mine sticks an old smelly sock over his ignition, the sock he uses to carry the disc lock, so that it reminds him to take it off before he rides away. Also, mount the disc lock hard up against the caliper so that if you are going to ride away you don't have any time to build even a slight amount of speed.

Other than that, choose a bike then choose a disc lock based on what you can see, to ensure it fits through. Anything Squire / Abus / Almax / Pragmasis is a good shout. Avoid Oxford.

Brill. This is exactly the advice I need. Thanks

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:48 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Back after a (ahem) few years Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I'd suggest doing what someone suggested to me (after a 30-year hiatus) and going to talk to a riding school. Mine weren't at all surprised to see someone like me, and I ended up with the best part of a day on a CB500 which they provided me with along with a 1:1 instructor, off and on road. Was really, really helpful.

Booked for 11th June. Kinda nervous actually. Also I bet it pisses down

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:15 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:

As already mentioned one of these:https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=RoundLock, alongside one of these: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/541659 Thumbs Up

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:32 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely - couldn't see that on their website. Cheers !

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Back after a (ahem) few years Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I'd suggest doing what someone suggested to me (after a 30-year hiatus) and going to talk to a riding school. Mine weren't at all surprised to see someone like me, and I ended up with the best part of a day on a CB500 which they provided me with along with a 1:1 instructor, off and on road. Was really, really helpful.

Booked for 11th June. Kinda nervous actually. Also I bet it pisses down

Excellent! June is allegedly going to be nice weather, so...

I remember being a bit nervous myself - I wasn't 25 any longer and would I even enjoy it? but it was weird how the years just fell away and it all came back to me. It was kind of... like riding a bicycle? I had an absolute blast on the day - I'm sure you will too.

Regarding disklocks - for what it's worth I use a Xena XX15 (I think it was recommended by "Ride" magazine or somewhere?) Other than a locked garage overnight it's the only security I use; but I don't really leave the bike anywhere very dodgy. Not been nicked yet.

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a LOT of fun. A loaner SV650 and an afternoon along a mix of country lanes and busier roads.

Now I just need to find something similar with a bit more legroom. At 6'2" the SV was a little cramped in the legs. Any suggestions ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
Well that was a LOT of fun. A loaner SV650 and an afternoon along a mix of country lanes and busier roads.

Now I just need to find something similar with a bit more legroom. At 6'2" the SV was a little cramped in the legs. Any suggestions ?

Tenere 700:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/yamaha-tenere-700-press-event-intensity-white-vv909675-1591726260.jpg

Same engine as the MT07 but the seat height is a couple of inches more than typical for a mid-sized bike.

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:27 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't considered the big adventure bikes. Hmmmm
I was mostly looking for sport tourer where the legroom between seat and peg was a bit more than the SV. The seat height was fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3