BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back after a (ahem) few years

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more inclined to suggest a Tracer 700 then the T7. Same engine but more road focused, similar seating position. Or a vstrom. The T7 is a great bike and something I've considered, but pointless unless you want to go off road IMO.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory VFR comment.
I'm 6'3" and mostly leg, numb bum and refuelling hit before my legs give me any grief.

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:49 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Obligatory VFR comment.
I'm 6'3" and mostly leg, numb bum and refuelling hit before my legs give me any grief.

Do they still make a VFR ? Exactly the sort of thing.
I was very impressed with the SV - just needed a bit more room from the seat to the peg

(my history was started on a moped A50P, then a CB250RS, z650, GT750 (Kwak tourer), GPz750, GPz900r, and finally a ZX9, albeit briefly. When the kids came I just couldn't afford it.)

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
Now I just need to find something similar with a bit more legroom. At 6'2" the SV was a little cramped in the legs. Any suggestions ?

If you liked the SV650, then definitely consider a VStrom. Same engine and simlar bike, but adventure style and relatively tall (and comes with a range of standard seat heights too).

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:36 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Phage wrote:
Now I just need to find something similar with a bit more legroom. At 6'2" the SV was a little cramped in the legs. Any suggestions ?

If you liked the SV650, then definitely consider a VStrom. Same engine and simlar bike, but adventure style and relatively tall (and comes with a range of standard seat heights too).

I'm 6'2" too and riding V-strom 650. Feels ok, don't have numb legs like on the ER-6 I had during ride training. Position is fine, actually I'm very surprised how comfortable it is. The only problem is that even the highest position of the windscreen doesn't help when riding around 70 mph or more and I'll probably look for replacement as soon as I got some funds Wink

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:57 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this happened

https://ibb.co/txzbfYm

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
Well this happened

https://i.ibb.co/qWCRGmy/IMG-5623.jpg

Well that won't get you in to any trouble at all Wink

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:12 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming to a speed trap near you....

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
Well this happened

please share your thoughts on the bike after you put a few miles on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:52 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
Coming to a speed trap near you....

Speed Trapple?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:28 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Phage wrote:
Well this happened

please share your thoughts on the bike after you put a few miles on it.

Sure. Anything particulalrly ?

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:29 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Speed Trapple?

I like it ! Might get a T-shirt made up Very Happy

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:

Sure. Anything particulalrly ?

just a general review of the bike. im quite tempted by the street triple myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:19 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

just a general review of the bike. im quite tempted by the street triple myself.

Are you on the Thunder Ace still ?

I'm 6'2" and the legroom and reach to the bars are great. I've had a lot of trouble finding a bike that had the legroom for comfort, as I am not interested in an adventure type. Extended motorway stuff though, without a fairing, is tiring and a bit noisy, but totally doable. I'm going to be looking at some sort of plex extension to the flyscreen.

The engine is an absolute peach, pulling from alomost any revs to a pretty immense top end. The exhaust note, even in stock pipes, is gorgeous. The gearbox is clunky IMHO, But about the same as my older bikes, so not a huge change from the Thunder Ace. ABS is great, especially on those bloody little patches of gravel at junctions.

I find the suspension a little firm for my taste, as I live in a rural area, and the poor state of the roads (gravel per above as well) means that it can feel a bit harsh overall. Something the reviewer above comments on as well. I'm hoping to have a play with it and see if I can soften it a little. Currently it feels closer to the sport end of the sport touring spectrum.

On a smooth A-Road - it's a bloody delight. On the B roads I'm picking my way through potholes.

Does that help ?

This is a good review of the latest RS model and a lot of what he says applies to the older models too.

https://youtu.be/RLXLhO-1sRE

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as suspension goes I thought the same with my STR, too hard. I played with it but never could get it right and that's after watching loads of vids on how to do it.

I ended up going to one of those suspension set up jobbies that attend track days. The difference was immense. Well worth getting it done by people who know what they are doing. Thumbs Up

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:27 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where in the country you are, but any recommendations down South ?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:
I'm not sure where in the country you are, but any recommendations down South ?

I can't really help except to say go to any track when there is a motorcycle trackday on and there will be a suspension set up there.

I was at Rockingham (now closed) just to watch some friends being loonies and on the spur of the moment went to the suspension peoples there. They set it up, sent me out on the roads and when I came back, tweaked it a couple of times until I was satisfied, I can't even remember who it was and the cost but I thought it worth it at the time so Thumbs Up

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phage wrote:

Are you on the Thunder Ace still ?

yes, but im thinking about getting something lighter/more upright riding position.

i like riding country lanes and back roads, but i find the Ace to big and heavy for that to be honest.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Well worth getting it done by people who know what they are doing. Thumbs Up

fwiw this is my experience too - i liked my bike before, but since getting a decent set up (£40, Alpha Suspension, Morley), i kind of came to the conclusion that it's amazing (then again, 20 years ago when new, it was the equivalent of £17K - so to be fair, it should be fairly decent).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:57 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

yes, but im thinking about getting something lighter/more upright riding position.

i like riding country lanes and back roads, but i find the Ace to big and heavy for that to be honest.

Ok the ST is a much better bike for that. More upright, wider flat bars and a pinpoint feel to the steering
It is let down by overly harsh suspension, and would need some fettling.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 10 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Back after a (ahem) few years Reply with quote

Regarding disc locks, I'd pump for one of the Granit locks in the Abus range.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Yes advanced training is always a good thing; but if this is literally going to be your first time back on 2 wheels in 20 years, I'd suggest doing what someone suggested to me (after a 30-year hiatus) and going to talk to a riding school. Mine weren't at all surprised to see someone like me, and I ended up with the best part of a day on a CB500 which they provided me with along with a 1:1 instructor, off and on road. Was really, really helpful.

The advantage of doing this is you get a quick crash course in the basics and staying alive at the outset, whereas RoSPA/IAM etc will be a course lasting weeks or months

I agree. Two great options are the Enhanced Rider Scheme and, if the BMF still offers it, BMF Rider Plus. The ERS website is crap, but the training is good and should ideally suit someone like the OP.

In the OP's boots, I would also do a BikeSafe workshop too. Good fun, invaluable and rewarding Thumbs Up

Phage
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:38 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Back after a (ahem) few years Reply with quote

Blueberry wrote:

I agree. Two great options are the Enhanced Rider Scheme and, if the BMF still offers it, BMF Rider Plus. The ERS website is crap, but the training is good and should ideally suit someone like the OP.

In the OP's boots, I would also do a BikeSafe workshop too. Good fun, invaluable and rewarding Thumbs Up

Which of these do prefer ? Given a limited budget...

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only one is affordable this year, I recommend the Enhanced Rider Scheme because you get 1:1 instruction.

If more than one ERS instructor is within your reach: I'd want to find out the instructors' backgrounds and qualifications. While all ERS instructors should be well-qualified, many of them will also hold an advanced certificate (IAM, RoSPA or BMF Blue Riband) if you're lucky. If you're very lucky, an ERS instructor who is also an advanced instructor* or former police advanced rider would be icing on the cake.

If you can take the Enhanced Rider Scheme this year, could you save up for BikeSafe when it restarts in the spring?

* RoSPA Diploma holder, DIAmond Advanced Instructor or Blue Riband Instructor

sidhuaujla5
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:27 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. I'll check out the local riding schools. The main issue is not many provide loaner bikes. Are you aware of any in the SE, preferably Kent or Sussex ? teatv spice money login
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 190 days between these two posts...
krishay.baxter This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3