Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Narrow humpback bridge - priority?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Narrow humpback bridge - priority? Reply with quote

So had an interesting encounter while on tour over the weekend; a lovely bridge in the Brecon Beacons, but it's very narrow (a car width), probably around 50m long and with a slight rise over the brow (and steeper initial ascents). Visibility of the other approach is very limited, so we started over the bridge steadily. As we reached the halfway point a car appeared towards us and continued to drive in our direction before we met approximately 2/3 of the way across for us. There was then a standoff before she eventually attempted to reverse (which went pear shaped repeatedly despite it being a straight line), when she eventually managed to reverse beyond the narrow section of the bridge and where we were able to pass, she then gave a full earful of abuse! I didn't really hear what was said as she sort of exploded into a rant as I rode past, but the cars which had accumulated behind us stopped and started waving arms out of the window at her so presumably her rant continued.

Frustrating, albeit amusing (for me, not her obviously - I suspect her embarrassment at her inability to reverse compounded things) - I'm wondering if there's anything in the HC about this sort of thing? I suppose technically it was slightly downhill (for us) as we were past the brow of the bridge, so maybe that rule applies, but in general if there's insufficient width, it's far more faff to reverse a loaded bike (unless you have a reverse gear/drive) than a car.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it as an unmarked crossing. Whoever gets there first has priority.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has priority.

Whoever was on there first was on there first.

Motorcycles do not have reverse gear, cars do.

Idiots who can't reverse their car shouldn't be on the road.

EDIT: Rule 155 is probably closest.

Quote:
Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

Give way to vehicles coming uphill wherever you can?

Last edited by stinkwheel on 16:57 - 24 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the same as single track roads where you often have long stretches where even two smaller vehicles can't squeeze past without going on boggy verge or in a ditch.
Usually whoever is nearest the last passing place should reverse but other factors might be another vehicle right behind or towing a trailer.
A bike with no reverse gear is a significant factor but a lot of car drivers don't know about that.
There was an incident locally where a driver rammed a bike stopping suddenly due to sheep on the road, and the car driver said the bike reversed into him at speed. Laughing
He also had helmet cam footage so that story coming to light when claim went in didn't work too well.

Often the heart of a dispute is that one of the drivers can't reverse very well but bear in mind that could be for a valid reason like neck problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:58 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Often the heart of a dispute is that one of the drivers can't reverse very well but bear in mind that could be for a valid reason like neck problems.

Not a valid reason. If their neck is so bad they can't see the mirrors, they shouldn't be on the road.

If they can't reverse using their mirrors, they shouldn't be on the road. Especially if they have a bad neck.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Give way to vehicles coming uphill wherever you can?

In the OP's scenario I'd suggest he couldn't. He's supposed to reverse a bike uphill when he is already 2/3rds of the way over the bridge? If that were the case then it would be a silly rule indeed. I would suggest the fact that it is a single track bridge alters the situation from a single track road. The fact that no rules are specifically laid down for that situation ought to allow for a measure of common sense. The woman driver apparently had none. Coupled with her lack of basic driving skills, the verdict is probably that she should be shot or not be driving.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was "Fuck em".

That didn't change. Let them rant, just cos they can't look more than 3 feet in front of their car to check for traffic on the bridge, and then can't reverse in a straight line isn't your problem.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:53 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see common sense in ‘give way to vehicles coming uphill’, surely it is harder to reverse uphill than to drive forwards uphill?

What’s that all about?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
I fail to see common sense in ‘give way to vehicles coming uphill’, surely it is harder to reverse uphill than to drive forwards uphill?

What’s that all about?

when the code was written, vehicles had a much harder time getting up hills.
besides, its unlikely youd have to reverse in normal situations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

What’s that all about?

To be considerate you don't force the uphill traffic to lose momentum and do a hill start when you can easily stop and roll on going down, it doesn't mean you ought to reverse up hill you should be (more) ready to pause well in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

What’s that all about?

Roads are not always clean and dry. On icy roads a car coming down a hill is more likely to slide into a stopped vehicle than one coming up a hill.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build up enough speed and jump over the bitch Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
doggone wrote:

Not a valid reason. If their neck is so bad they can't see the mirrors, they shouldn't be on the road.

If they can't reverse using their mirrors, they shouldn't be on the road. Especially if they have a bad neck.

Yep this. I made a car and caravan reverse about 50m to a passing place on the Loch Eriboll road. I'd passed the nearest passing place way before he reached the one nearest him and he sailed by without looking when he should have stopped and waited. I was amused, he was furious - especially when I pointed out that he was in the wrong and should have waited. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically living in a suburban area one has to live with such things on a daily basis, the roads being artificially narrowed with all the parked cars. And what works most of the time* is whomever has the easiest/closest passing place gives way. Occasionally there's some dickhead who could reverse 2 car lengths to your 10 so that's where you just take quiet revenge and perform the manoeuvre as slowly as possible Smile

*Mostly this is a car vs. car issue.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ironically living in a suburban area one has to live with such things on a daily basis, the roads being artificially narrowed with all the parked cars. And what works most of the time* is whomever has the easiest/closest passing place gives way. Occasionally there's some dickhead who could reverse 2 car lengths to your 10 so that's where you just take quiet revenge and perform the manoeuvre as slowly as possible Smile

Yep it's all about good observation, common sense and a smidgeon of consideration. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why savvy Americans use the privileges of Concealed Carry. Cool

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:24 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I was only reading it in the context of the OP, so in a Mexican standoff, reverse uphill, not reading it properly, i.e. both of you looking where you are going as you approach one another, then priority to the uphill. Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting replies. Thumbs Up As for the idea of jumping the car . . . maybe not on a fully loaded VFR. Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Yep it's all about good observation, common sense and a smidgeon of consideration. Thumbs Up

Only problem is that's required on BOTH sides. Seems to be rare these days.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Only problem is that's required on BOTH sides. Seems to be rare these days.

As reported on t' Interwebs.

Actually, it's not as bleak in real life.

Word up.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather suspect the op has unfortunately encountered a 'local' who owns the bridge in question.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:31 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to see the bridge on Google Street View.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priority goes to the person with the strongest bladder.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Priority goes to the person with the strongest bladder.

Such standoffs are accelerated of course due to the sound of rushing water under the bridge.

Here's the approximate location I was on the bridge at; the car appeared from the opposite approach quickly. The gradient on the bridge isn't really perceptible on streetview but it's sufficient to make backing a loaded bike up difficult. The little "insets" in the parapet likewise aren't sufficient for a loaded bike; would probably be able to sneak a bike without luggage etc.. into it though.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8747191,-3.2329919,3a,53.4y,187.41h,73.52t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sFKcdFkToX4P0ySpLphGQMw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DFKcdFkToX4P0ySpLphGQMw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D19.30807%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:20 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule 144
You MUST NOT
  • drive dangerously
  • drive without due care and attention
  • drive without reasonable consideration for other road users.

Law RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 as amended by RTA 1991.

Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2