Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

If someone asked you for a bike that does it all…

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Martylaa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: If someone asked you for a bike that does it all… Reply with quote

I’m interested to know your thoughts on this one..

If you were only allowed to own one bike, then what would you have and why?

I’m thinking about a bike for going off on days out, days touring away around parts of the country and also something fun to have a daft few hours on when bored…

What you thinking?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha T700
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road use only? Crossrunner or Tracer 900.
Off-road ability too? Yamaha T7 or KTM 790 adventure.

Everything is always a compromise somewhere.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: If someone asked you for a bike that does it all… Reply with quote

Martylaa wrote:

I’m thinking about a bike for going off on days out, days touring away around parts of the country and also something fun to have a daft few hours on when bored…

What you thinking?

Coming in here asking questions like that Shocked Shocked
You’re liable to start a fight Shocked .

One bike Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes what do you mean, one bike!!
That’s just silly....... one bike Folded arms Folded arms

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenere would have to be up there.

But any bike will tour various parts of the country - as long as you've got enough time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:28 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street triple R

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: If someone asked you for a bike that does it all… Reply with quote

Martylaa wrote:

What you thinking?

Suzuki Katana with top box and panniers so that you can fill the top box and panniers with petrol cans, you can put clothes in a backpack. Ultimate touring bike Cool

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bike will ever "do it all".

But if I could only own one... I already have it, the VFR. My personal preference being 4th gen 750 followed by the 5th gen Pre-VTEC 800.

There will be bikes that are faster, better handling, have off road, ability 2T, more modern, more elegant... the list of specialities is endless. But the VFR has it's reputation as one of the best all rounders ever for good reason. It'll get me to work, it'll get a surprising hustle on, it'll tour for years.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:44 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for VFR750. Providing it's not to be used offroad.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR800X Crossrunner - I've got one and it does everything on the road. As happy lugging camping kit as an evening blast.

Edit: I'd argue it builds and further improves the "all rounder" ability of the normal VFR; I find the more upright position, slightly higher seat height and bigger screen makes it a better tool for commuting. Possibly at the slight compromise of outright handling, although I don't feel it has any great limitations.

Shameless excuse to show mine in action, firstly on an evening blast over the Snake Pass, secondly hauling camping kit across the Brecon Beacons.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/upperderwentsmaller.jpg

My Crossrunner is the one at the back.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/brecons1small.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No bike will ever "do it all".

But if I could only own one... I already have it, the VFR. My personal preference being 4th gen 750 followed by the 5th gen Pre-VTEC 800.

There will be bikes that are faster, better handling, have off road, ability 2T, more modern, more elegant... the list of specialities is endless. But the VFR has it's reputation as one of the best all rounders ever for good reason. It'll get me to work, it'll get a surprising hustle on, it'll tour for years.

I've never owned a VFR750, but I have heard countless times that they are one of the best all-rounders ever built.
Of course, I have to add the Fazer FZS1000. It's the one I've settled on as an only bike that does everything well, whilst not being the best at any one thing. A few mods have improved it still further, which is something to consider if you're going to be looking at long-term ownership.

I can't recommend the Street Triple if you're going to include touring in the mix. It'll do it, but really not the best compromise in that regard.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Martylaa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies no fighting here lol, ahhh it was just some thoughts on if you had to have the one really…

I’d have to agree with the Street Triple R comment (and I own one), it’s probably why I’ll end up with two bikes (just defeated the purpose of this thread lol) another more in the Touring vein…

Have to say I have looked countless times at those VFR’s but never seen that touring version before…

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR-1000. My (lightly modded) K5 was a monster.

Did everything you listed and it did them all perfectly.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
GSXR-1000. My (lightly modded) K5 was a monster.

Did everything you listed and it did them all perfectly.

Some of the older sports bikes are definitely worth consideration. A bit bigger, more roomy physically, less extreme than the current crop. Only the fact that I can't use clip-on style bars anymore that means I personally wouldn't consider one.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:48 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbird could probably be added to the list.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Blackbird could probably be added to the list.

Does that mean that ZZRs and Hayabusas make the grade as all-rounders? I've always thought of all these as comfortable missiles, but too much focussed on those two aspects.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Does that mean that ZZRs and Hayabusas make the grade as all-rounders?

Well, I "Did Europe" on a ZZR1100 in the late 90's. Certainly not an all rounder though, it's a bit too unweildy on the smaller stuff, and would take very dimly to short commutes. I'd have another in a heartbeat, if I could find a decent one at sane money (nothing is sane money at the moment)... but I wouldn't replace the VFR with one.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Does that mean that ZZRs and Hayabusas make the grade as all-rounders?

Well, I "Did Europe" on a ZZR1100 in the late 90's. Certainly not an all rounder though, it's a bit too unweildy on the smaller stuff, and would take very dimly to short commutes. I'd have another in a heartbeat, if I could find a decent one at sane money (nothing is sane money at the moment)... but I wouldn't replace the VFR with one.

You've basically just summed up what I was thinking about them, although I've never owned or ridden any. Although I'd be more inclined to think city, rather than short commutes.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1200GS or Tiger 800 xca or xcx - I say this, having never ridden either. So, if those aren't allowed, zx9r. I think they might be easier to work on than the vfr because they're just a UJM il4 config. Also, from the C iteration onwards they might be a bit lighter than the vfr as well. They're definitely faster - but ride extremely well very slowly. Trickling and filtering is piss easy - and the (cable) clutch is light too.

As noted - above - this era litre class, fully fared jobs, are roomy and biddable. More so than many would imagine. Also, in the case of the zx9r, they're strong bikes - i hammer mine down all sorts of horrendous lanes and it shrugs it off. I swear modern equivalents would have dented rims more and visible wear and tear generally. My mate's 2012 zx6r is no where near as robust. Although it's a lot lighter, to be fair.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

As noted - above - this era litre class, fully fared jobs, are roomy and biddable. More so than many would imagine. Also, in the case of the zx9r, they're strong bikes - i hammer mine down all sorts of horrendous lanes and it shrugs it off. I swear modern equivalents would have dented rims more and visible wear and tear generally. My mate's 2012 zx6r is no where near as robust. Although it's a lot lighter, to be fair.

Another one I've never ridden, but would have been near the top of the list if I were physically comfortable with them. After you read the same or similar comments over many years about the same bikes, you kind of draw up a mental shortlist that would give you a chance of getting it right even without the benefit of personal experience.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktm 790 adventure. Maybe an 890. Yam t7 is overrated and not in the same class. Ktm blows gs850 and tiger 800xcx away. 7k on mine since July and love it. With no off road wants ever, Fireblade.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:51 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

zx9r. I think they might be easier to work on than the vfr because they're just a UJM il4 config.

The bits that would be easier to work on, don't need working on as a general rule with the V4. Especially the pre- cam-chain models.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...easier to work on than the vfr because they're just a UJM il4 config.

The bits that would be easier to work on, don't need working on as a general rule with the V4. Especially the pre- cam-chain models.

My valves are in spec at 120K. It's absolutely not been checked since 60K (I know a lot of it's history). Good chance it's not been checked since it's first check, if at all. It's why I would have any pre-VTEC, the gear driven cam models are largely bulletproof.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are in at 80k sfaict, I last had them checked at 20k. I don't think many of the bikes from this era need much tweaking after the first adjustment. Unless they're in the red 50% of the time, but who rides like that? No need to - 750 and above has so much accessible power pretty much everywhere it seems.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Re: If someone asked you for a bike that does it all… Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Suzuki Katana with top box and panniers so that you can fill the top box and panniers with petrol cans, you can put clothes in a backpack. Ultimate touring bike Cool

Did that from Milan on same (GSX750).
Didn't need the petrol cans, of course.
There's a thread about it somewhere on here.

Good choice.
Oddly enough, I thought of that before I thought of my Harley.
Mainly cos mine (Suzuki) is in the shop at the moment, getting re-animated.

But then, I also thought of a Tenere. Wub
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3