Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

If someone asked you for a bike that does it all…

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Ktm blows gs850 and tiger 800xcx away.

For comfort? I found the gs850 unbelievably uncomfy - but I'd guess the tiger is plusher than the ktm - if not suspension-wise, then certainly the seat. OP says days touring - looking at the ktm and the tiger, the latter looks more inviting even if the ktm is probably a more fun 90 minute blaster.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
VFR800X Crossrunner - I've got one and it does everything on the road. As happy lugging camping kit as an evening blast.

Glad it's not just me. I keep thinking about replacing mine but every time I ride it I change my mind. I really don't know what to replace it with. Tracer maybe, it's more exciting but definitely less overall competent and well rounded (lacks weight allowance for two up with gear). Maybe a 790/890 adventure but then the same applies potentially. I do have the gen 1 though, I'd replace it with a gen 2 which is a small but definite improvement.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Ktm 790 adventure. Maybe an 890. Yam t7 is overrated and not in the same class. Ktm blows gs850 and tiger 800xcx away. 7k on mine since July and love it. With no off road wants ever, Fireblade.

How do you find the KTM on a tight twisty road blast? I'm wondering if the 21" front would slow the steering significantly, I'd miss the agility of and sure footed flickability of my Crossrunner (it is agile, despite being heavy) I think. But then, I do find trail bikes a lot of fun on the road.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

having traded a 2015 xcx in for the 790, I would say it's more comfortable because of the rank shape. Seat is the same. i put my coolcovers thing from the tiger straight on the ktm.

Handling wise, putting Anakee adventures on give the front a great feel.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:22 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1200 gs adventure.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Glad it's not just me. I keep thinking about replacing mine but every time I ride it I change my mind. I really don't know what to replace it with. Tracer maybe, it's more exciting but definitely less overall competent and well rounded (lacks weight allowance for two up with gear). Maybe a 790/890 adventure but then the same applies potentially. I do have the gen 1 though, I'd replace it with a gen 2 which is a small but definite improvement.

Good time to upgrade to the mk2; they've stopped production now but doubtless there are new ones knocking about with good discounts on. Significant improvements from what I gather, although I've never ridden the mk1.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down the one bike does all route about 18 months ago. Decided on a Tracer 700GT. Couple of long trips between lockdowns, plenty of hooning about locally. It was fine at both but I found it excruciatingly uncomfortable on anything over an hour. Tried all sorts to remedy but in the end gave up and traded it for a Tiger 800XRX. In a different league to the Yam, better build quality, comfortable, more relaxed on a long run but still has peg down ability on the twisties. Motor is a beefier version of the 675 and is deceptively quick if you want to do that. Heated grips, cruise control for the boring bits, full hard luggage. Ive added a Givi airflow screen which is better than the original.
Is it a bike for all things? Seems to be for me.

OGR

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:37 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1080 tiger sport is very popular in my bike club, who mostly engage in long distance camping touring with as much twisty hooning along the way as possible.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add at this point the one thing the Crossrunner misses is cruise control; why Honda don't put it on a sports tourer is beyond me, but it would be useful for those boring bits to get between interesting areas. Not a deal breaker though.

Martylaa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I’m thinking something like the new Truimph Tiger 900 GT Pro, wondering if that could be the one bike fits all for me???

It gets some stonking reviews…

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:45 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, my ST1100 does everything I want a bike to do. It is faster than I will ever need it to be, it handles far better than a bike that heavy should, it can easily carry a week's worth of camping gear, as long as you don't want 5* luxury and I have ridden 200-300 miles a day, every day for a week and never felt sore or uncomfortable.
For their price, I still think that they are one of the best all-round bikes. They are seriously uncool though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:55 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I'd add at this point the one thing the Crossrunner misses is cruise control; why Honda don't put it on a sports tourer is beyond me, but it would be useful for those boring bits to get between interesting areas. Not a deal breaker though.

I uh.... cruise control on a bike? You are on the bars anyway, so just shove a palm rest on one and continue?

I didn't think cruise control was a thing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

I uh.... cruise control on a bike? You are on the bars anyway, so just shove a palm rest on one and continue?

How else are you supposed to stand on the seat for a few miles to stretch? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Puzzles me a bit too. There aren't many times I've found I can just keep a bike at a constant speed for ages.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I've found on long motorway stretches when traffic is quiet, I'd quite like to have the speed dialled in so I can take my hand off the bars occasionally (one at a time!) to stretch plus not have to keep a constant tension. Then again, maybe I'm more restrained than others in such situations. Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I can see where it might be useful for a few seconds every now and then on a long motorway trip, but I can't say I've ever found myself thinking that I really need one. On a long motorway trip, my arse normally starts to take most of my attention where discomfort is concerned until I actually pull in at services for a rest! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Really? I've found on long motorway stretches when traffic is quiet, I'd quite like to have the speed dialled in so I can take my hand off the bars occasionally (one at a time!) to stretch plus not have to keep a constant tension. Then again, maybe I'm more restrained than others in such situations. Wink

I've never tried it myself, but I have always assumed that the gyroscopic motion of the bike at motorway speeds would mean you probably don't need to keep your hands on the bars to maintain a straight line.

Obviously unrealistic since roads have camber and are not perfectly straight or level.

Anyone tried it? Shocked

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said my previous bike the Tracer900 GT but I have just brought a Fazer 1000 and it blows it out the water in terms of comfort and performance

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think I'd use it much but found it useful on long boring bits cos Ive
got arthritus in one knuckle, not too bad riding normally but holding it at a constant speed gets uncomfortable.
Its useful on speed limited twisty roads where you can easily keep to a constant 50mph bends and all, the ones full of cameras and stuff, any need to slow down just roll the throttle to fully closed then hit resume when past it.

OGR

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Puzzles me a bit too. There aren't many times I've found I can just keep a bike at a constant speed for ages.

Have you ever ridden on highways in the USA? It would have definitely been welcome on my bike at that time...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Have you ever ridden on highways in the USA? It would have definitely been welcome on my bike at that time...

No I haven't, but I did think the US might be somewhere it would actually make sense to have one.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL- wrote:
I would have said my previous bike the Tracer900 GT but I have just brought a Fazer 1000 and it blows it out the water in terms of comfort and performance

Of course I rated this as cool Laughing
I might equally have said interesting though, as it's always so for me to hear how people rate them against more modern fare.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the fazer has given me a complete back to basics riding experience and I love it and find it way more enjoyable not having to worry about riding modes, snatchy fueling, etc

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the basics that have always been what I liked about bikes. As long as you've got those to a good standard, the other stuff seems superfluous to me. They might be nice to have at times, but not essential to the enjoyment of biking generally. It's not for nothing I'm always banging on about Fazers with the right mods Smile

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Good time to upgrade to the mk2; they've stopped production now but doubtless there are new ones knocking about with good discounts on. Significant improvements from what I gather, although I've never ridden the mk1.

I've ridden the new one a couple of times. Feels overall very similar, the biggest difference is the riding position which is much improved. The MK1 fits me fine but I prefer the slightly more upright and easier going ergos I'd the MK2. Other than that it seemed pretty similar.

Less complicated braking system on the MK2 as well, which is nice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3