Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

If someone asked you for a bike that does it all…

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda CBF5/6/1000.

Got the 500 and to be honest it does most things without issue. It won't keep up with bigger bikes when you're hooning in a straight line but I've never had an issue out riding with friends on 1000's who aren't total maniacs. Fit a screen and it's acceptable on motorways. Handles reasonably well. Relatively economical and comfortable. Plus with (albeit basic) ABS it's far, far safer than those without.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:31 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmac use only: GSX-S1000F
With some off road: Tenere 700. I hate 'adventure' style bikes, but that seems to be the one with the least amount of off road compromise. Maybe a KTM 890 adventure but... y'know... electrical gremlins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati 1200 Multistrada. Yes a bit heavy, but on the move, with that magic skyhook suspension, it'll beat almost anything on real roads.

Big tank, luggage, mega comfy with sporty potential and light off-road ability.

Engine is a laugh too. Instant grunt from the v-twin, enough up top to be silly, just keep on top of servicing like any bike.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:24 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 1250. It does everything that I want on the road: Scratch, commute, tour.

It's not the best at anything but it can more than hold it's own in any of those modes.

I'm on my second.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:34 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Bandit 1250. It does everything that I want on the road: Scratch, commute, tour.

It's not the best at anything but it can more than hold it's own in any of those modes.

I'm on my second.

GSX-S1000 and 1000F and Katana is similar in the sense that it can do it all, but it's got more power, better suspension and less weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
GSX-S1000 and 1000F and Katana is similar in the sense that it can do it all, but it's got more power, better suspension and less weight.

Katana really can do it all which is why I really want one. The only negative about the Katana that I can think of is the low range because of the tiny fuel tank. Then again if I bought one in future, I would just stick a fuel can in the top box if I was touring.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

...katana...top box....

Neutral

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
...katana...top box....

Neutral

If I bought one I would have a top box and panniers Embarassed if I wasn't using them I would just take them off until they were needed

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay, what electrical gremlins do you speak of? Also, how is a tenere7 at 9.5k a better proposition than a 690enduro or a husky 701lr? I'd go for a tracer 7 over the tenere and get good with some inbetween tyres.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:39 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

And less torque, not that that makes them bad bikes but the ergos are definitely more sports bike than all rounder.

I'd probably be riding one now if the ergos suited me but sadly they don't.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:48 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
MarJay wrote:

And less torque, not that that makes them bad bikes but the ergos are definitely more sports bike than all rounder.

I'd probably be riding one now if the ergos suited me but sadly they don't.
Eh?

We're clearly either not talking about the same bike, or you haven't actually ridden one.

Torque numbers are irrelevant, because gearing is a thing. 79.6 pounds feet has to be enough for anyone on a bike that weighs 215kg wet. I can also pick out a factor that is essentially irrelevant to show that the GSX-S is superior, and that's weight. It's much lighter than a Bandit.

It's not one thing though, a bike could have 300nm of torque but weigh 3 tonnes and make 10bhp. The point is, that as a package the GSX-S and family are superior to the Bandit. The question was a 'do it all' bike. You can do everything except go off road on a GSX-S. You can't really do trackdays on a Bandit. Well... you could, but you wouldn't have a very good time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3