Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New insurance renewal rules from Jan '22

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: New insurance renewal rules from Jan '22 Reply with quote

Insurers must not penalise loyal customers, says FCA

Sounds good to the numpties I suppose but it highlights a fundamental misunderstanding of how insurance and underwriting works.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Charities said other people might not be able to switch so easily. They said the problems were worse for people on very low incomes who might not have the technology to search for the cheapest deals, or those who find the calculations difficult."
Right because the country is full of people who can afford cars but have absolutely no access to the internet. Laughing I dont know what calculations they are talking about either, just plug in your details and pick the best looking policy. If people bothered to spend 20 minutes searching for insurance every year perhaps insurance companies would change to have competitive renewal prices.

Good news though. I've had to cancel my insurance before and then take it out again online because it was quite a lot cheaper than the renewal price.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

Good news though. I've had to cancel my insurance before and then take it out again online because it was quite a lot cheaper than the renewal price.

I was with an insurance company who regularly came up as one of the better deals when I searched at renewal time. And to be fair the renewal price was usually about the same as I was quoted as a new customer.

Except they wanted to charge me a 'renewal fee'

For three renewals in a row I went through the rigmarole of phoning them up and asking them if they'd waive the renewal fee, and they always refused. So I'd tell them I didn't want to renew, and then when they said "is there anything else we can help you with?" I'd reply "Yes, I'd like to start a new policy from (renewal date) with the same details.."

Which was fine. No renewal fee. No need to send them proof of no claims as "I was already on their system"

It seemed to me that this way they were doing more work for less money, but ... meh.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

I did this every year when I was with Carole Nash.

Easy-X wrote:
it highlights a fundamental misunderstanding of how insurance and underwriting works

What exactly? I mean I understand insurance and underwriting works by taking in as much money as you can get away with and paying back out as little as you are legally required to but is there something else I'm missing? Is there a good systemic reason for charging an existing customer more for the same product than you would charge a new customer? Other than pure marketing.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:44 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
....What exactly? I mean I understand insurance and underwriting works by taking in as much money as you can get away with and paying back out as little as you are legally required to but is there something else I'm missing? Is there a good systemic reason for charging an existing customer more for the same product than you would charge a new customer? Other than pure marketing.

I'm asking the same question, please tell...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:09 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad was a real victim of that loyalty rip-off, he stayed with the same insurance company for over forty years, never had an accident, drove bottom of the range cars like a 1300 Viva/Cavalier. When we finally persuaded him to shop around he got cover for 400 pounds less than he had been paying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
....What exactly? I mean I understand insurance and underwriting works by taking in as much money as you can get away with and paying back out as little as you are legally required to but is there something else I'm missing? Is there a good systemic reason for charging an existing customer more for the same product than you would charge a new customer? Other than pure marketing.

I'm asking the same question, please tell...

In principal insurance is about making an educated guess about a risk, and charging an appropriate premium.
Ripping off long standing customers, who being a known quantity are probably a lower risk has fuck-all to do with 'how insurance works'. Companies do it because they could (up until now) get away with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:10 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
In principal insurance is about making an educated guess about a risk, and charging an appropriate premium.
Ripping off long standing customers, who being a known quantity are probably a lower risk has fuck-all to do with 'how insurance works'. Companies do it because they could (up until now) get away with it.

That still hasn't explained this...

Easy-X wrote:
Sounds good to the numpties I suppose but it highlights a fundamental misunderstanding of how insurance and underwriting works.

Somebody needs to explain (in terms us numpties will understand) the fundamentals of how insurance and underwriting works....and how that means that offering new business cheaper and why loyalty isn't rewarded.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:33 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwriting is about risk. Charging more for repeat customers is gouging.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on good authority that the rating engine for one of the countries largest private general insurer, is referred to internally as the "random number generator".

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why do most of them come back with 150 quid for me and my triumph consistently every year?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You insure your car with Tesco Insurance. But Tesco aren't really insuring anything, the business is passed to an underwriter so really we're talking about insurance brokerage (which is in the fine print if people bother to look.) So what happens on renewal date to hike the price up?

Underwriters are not static entities, they have a particular "flavour" of risk they're aiming for at any given time much in the same way an investment fund might shift from tech stocks to commodities. Renewal time comes round and they might not want your particular risk which translates to a price hike.

You could argue that your insurer broker is being lazy by not hunting down the best deal every year on your behalf or maybe you think it's down to the consumer to take responsibility for services they purchase...

Somebody somewhere has to put the legwork in and if it's not the consumer then the bean counters will change for the service somehow. Renewal fees, admin charges, cancellation fees... it's not like they've not got form for monetising bollox Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:17 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You insure your car with Tesco Insurance. But Tesco aren't really insuring anything, the business is passed to an underwriter so really we're talking about insurance brokerage (which is in the fine print if people bother to look.) So what happens on renewal date to hike the price up?

Underwriters are not static entities, they have a particular "flavour" of risk they're aiming for at any given time much in the same way an investment fund might shift from tech stocks to commodities. Renewal time comes round and they might not want your particular risk which translates to a price hike.

You could argue that your insurer broker is being lazy by not hunting down the best deal every year on your behalf or maybe you think it's down to the consumer to take responsibility for services they purchase...

Somebody somewhere has to put the legwork in and if it's not the consumer then the bean counters will change for the service somehow. Renewal fees, admin charges, cancellation fees... it's not like they've not got form for monetising bollox Sad

That's not it because the renewal and the "new" policy have always been the same product underwritten by the same company whenever I've done the whole getting a new quote from the same company thing. As such, the renewal should be cheaper because there has been no legwork done.

Gouging it is then.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this rigmarole 7 times a year. Laughing I gots to be on the ball Cool

Will see how it works out in practice when my renewal letters come through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:21 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I'd always thought that auto-renewal was the price to pay for laziness.

"The FCA says the move will save loyal customers an estimated £4.2bn over 10 years.

But it admitted it could spell the end of the cheapest deals for new customers."

So no more cheap deals for people who shop around and instead everyone has to pay the higher prices?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

More a case that people pay a reasonable price for the cover and risk. It's exactly the same.as when they were made to stop altering premiums basted on gender.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
That's not it because the renewal and the "new" policy have always been the same product underwritten by the same company whenever I've done the whole getting a new quote from the same company thing. As such, the renewal should be cheaper because there has been no legwork done.

Gouging it is then.

I would guess if you're in a stable place with regards to risk (e.g. >40yo, good post code, non-exotic vehicle) then you should expect renewal to go down or stay the same (NCD vs inflation and industry-wide hikes) but from my experience this rolls along for a few years and then suddenly the renewal goes off at a complete tangent!

I think we can all agree that renewal hikes penalising long term customers seems unfair and counter-intuitive but are we saying this is a tax on the apathetic? If so what's the benefit of being smart if you can't exploit stoopid ppl?! Laughing (As in putting the effort to search for the best deal effectively being funded by ppl who can't be bothered.)

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:48 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit I find most distasteful is that every year my options are to stay with the same company and pay about £200 more, or to hand over a huge chunk of personal data to a comparison site, for them to share it with every insurance company under the sun, for me to then end up with either the same company, or one of the other 3 that I tend to rotate around.

Then wait 3 weeks for the details to filter through the system, and await the new barrange of spam emails, text messages, robo-calls, occasionally actual snail mail.

I always refuse anything to do with sharing my data. I occasionally go as far as setting up alternative contact details just for insurance quotes to be sure it is them being twats.

I just feel sorry for the americans who have to do this for health insurance, and don't even have the fig-leaf of data protection laws.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:30 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap mandatory insurance or drastically restrict it, cap costs then let the free market decide.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Scrap mandatory insurance or drastically restrict it, cap costs then let the free market decide.

Removing mandatory insurance is a really bad idea. Look at the cases in the US where states do not have mandatory insurance. My brother lost an awful lot when he was hit by an unisured driver. There's even "underinsured" drivers. Letting insurance companies decide on regulation is letting the wolves look after the children.

{Pretty sure in some cases that it's tied to license fee's. I want to say Aus or NZ, but I could very well be wrong. Seems sensible enough, although I don't know the details or costs.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:31 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

Removing mandatory insurance is a really bad idea. Look at the cases in the US where states do not have mandatory insurance. My brother lost an awful lot when he was hit by an unisured driver. There's even "underinsured" drivers. Letting insurance companies decide on regulation is letting the wolves look after the children.

{Pretty sure in some cases that it's tied to license fee's. I want to say Aus or NZ, but I could very well be wrong. Seems sensible enough, although I don't know the details or costs.

Yes, in Australia, you get new plates every year. They show the vehicle is registered, taxed and has a minimum basic level of third party insurance.

You'd probably want to top-up that level of insurance because you could still be hit with costs in a crash but if it has a "reggo" then it's insured and road legal. If it doesn't have a reggo, you're getting stopped. They take a very dim view of counterfeiting.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:34 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like every other product or service the problem is consumers.

If an overwhelming majority rejected the renewal and switched, companies would have an incentive to value and reward existing clients at renewal. That tells me the majority don't bother and gouging is more profitable.

If the majority of buyers rejected newbuild homes with crap build quality, rooms you cant fit a bed in and garages you cant fit a car in, they'd eventually stop building them.

If no one read the Daily Mail, they'd go bust.

As much as I morally disagree with all of these things, they fundamentally continue to exist because the average consumer is a lazy magpie who wants to keep up with the Jones' whilst having someone else to blame they're not doing any better.

For the rest, it just makes life harder work than it needs to be.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:20 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Letting insurance companies decide on regulation is letting the wolves look after the children.

They aren't suggesting regulations, I am. It's better than the state or lobbyists doing it.
For example we had insurance companies ripping off men based on vague statistics or being told to by some other groups.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:17 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Letting insurance companies decide on regulation is letting the wolves look after the children.
They aren't suggesting regulations, I am. It's better than the state or lobbyists doing it.

You were saying remove mandatory insurance, not talking about regulations.
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Jmoan wrote:
Scrap mandatory insurance
Removing mandatory insurance is a really bad idea.

I said it's a really bad idea, which it is.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2