Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Don't laugh but here's a newbie question for you...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Martylaa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Don't laugh but here's a newbie question for you... Reply with quote

Ok, so I went out last night with a friend on the bikes and I was behind a quite slow moving car on a 60 mph road, I overtook safely but on pulling in I got it in my head I need to avoid hitting the cat eyes and white markers or I might lose grip and wobble, as a result of this brain freeze I stayed in the outside lane for way longer than I should...

My tyres on the bike are in very good nick with loads of tread, seriously would running across a cat eye/markings at speed cause any wobble?

I expect ridicule at this question tbh lol...

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer no, you're more likely to upset the bike by faffing around with the steering trying to avoid it than you are by being in contact with a cats' eye or road marking for a millisecond.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Martylaa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Short answer no, you're more likely to upset the bike by faffing around with the steering trying to avoid it than you are by being in contact with a cats' eye or road marking for a millisecond.

Thanks mate, honestly don’t know why I suddenly thought this, maybe first time out and overtaking on a road at speed caused this to pop in my head…

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:31 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually dip the power momentarily as I cross the centre line if it's wet. Not enough to make the rear unload/front dive, just enough so the bike keeps a level trim and there's no risk of the rear spinning up. But that's on a high power sportsbike, in the wet, when I have the hammer down.

You shouldn't even be looking at cats eyes, you should be looking well ahead to where you want to be, not at where you are.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had slips when on the power hard on freshly painted white lines but it lasts a fraction of a second and is over before you can react. Not a drama. Most of the time in normal riding it has no effect.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:06 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You shouldn't even be looking at cats eyes, you should be looking well ahead to where you want to be, not at where you are.

There is more wisdom in this statement than most people realize. Keep a high visual horizon, and you will vastly improve your situational awareness and give yourself improved reaction time.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:16 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are doing less than 2mph the cat eyes will barely register.

Eyes up btw. If you're looking at it you'll hit it.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe find a bit of quiet road and deliberately ride over the cats eyes to get a feel of how the bike responds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 29 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Don't laugh but here's a newbie question for you... Reply with quote

Martylaa wrote:
My tyres on the bike are in very good nick with loads of tread, seriously would running across a cat eye/markings at speed cause any wobble?

Absolutely. White road paint can be incredibly slippery, especially when wet. I always feel a bit of a shimmy when crossing e.g. hazard markings (the long broken white lines typical of B-roads where sharp deviations are usually more common). Severity of shimmy depends on bike, types of tyres, temperature, speed, etc. etc. E.g. I had a '90s cb500 on Avon Roadriders that always liked a good wobble.

As for cats eyes those can be a bit rough too, especially if you're cornering "through" them, and they're already a bit proud of the surface.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:40 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said look ahead at where you want to be.
The bike will ride out any bumps and such as long as you relax.

A horse rider once told me that if you panic the horse knows and panics too....
Might sound silly but think of your bike the same way, if you tense up bad things are possible.
not looking far enough ahead and holding on too tight, are the main 2 things new riders do wrong.

Also if you ride your bike all tensed up, your gonna end up aching after a decent ride.

trust me, that cats eye doesn't give a shit Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1