Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garage Security, Yes or No?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Garage Security, Yes or No? Reply with quote

I haven't much of any value in my garage (although I wouldn't be too chuffed if somebody half inched my fishing gear) but now I have a bike in there, I'm thinking about security.

A previous tenant fitted one of these............

https://i.imgur.com/E7W4OAa.jpg

......... but I don't have a lock for it.

I know that if some thieving little scrote wants to get in there, they will, but before I go and shell out on a new padlock, I was wondering what the BCF massive think about these things.

Mine is in a block of garages and you can tell the people who value the contents, because the doors are festooned with locking devices, most of which would probably be pretty ineffectual to the determined crim.

Fortunately, this thing I have is clearly used, so it isn't going to look as though I have rushed out and bought it, to protect something new and exciting in the garage, but at the same time, it does signal that I would rather not anyone went in there.

So what does BCF think, worthwhile deterrent, or red flag for something worth nicking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be looking at it from a slightly different perspective.

With a lock on your device, how secure would that make your unit in comparison to the rest of the area/block?

Zero security might indicate little concern from an owners viewpoint but from a thieving scrote's view it's the easiest to access and may yield results.
The most secured places might well yield the best haul so would appear a better option for a well equipped scrote.

If yours sits comfortably between those two ranges it proves more of a challenge to the opportunist and less appealing to the well prepared. HOWEVER, with the limited experience I've had with public/council lock ups, scrotes tend to observe stuff coming and going and base their choices accordingly as to what they see going in and out, any old fool can cut up the door if the lock is too challenging...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:48 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly fit it. With a decent lock it should be a reasonably secure setup.

Those up and over doors are sh1t from whatever security access you look at it though. Even the one on the garage attached to our house I only feel happy(ier) with a car parked against it and thats with a myriad of internal bolts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big shiny lock indicates to scum-bags that there’s something worth stealing in there, just saying.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Big shiny lock indicates to scum-bags that there’s something worth stealing in there, just saying.

Yup, probably better to secure the bike inside and not leave anything worth much in there.
If they see a big lock they'd wreck the door trying to see what was in side even if it was only fishing rods they didn't want to know about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:11 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When thieves break into garages I'm pretty certain they already know exactly what is in there that they're wanting to steal.

A big lock says that there's something in there which is of value to the owner but for scummy thieving pieces of shit that doesn't mean much, they're going to go for the garage that they know has got nice push bikes or a nice motorbike in it.

The garages OP mentions that have doors festooned with locking devices which would probably be pretty ineffectual to the determined crim haven't been broken into so having a big fuck off garage defender isn't going to be a red flag that makes people want to break in.

A big fuck off garage defender will either need pulling out of the ground or chopping up with an angle grinder. They could make a shit load of noise breaking into your garage to steal your bike or they could steal a bike elsewhere that doesn't have a garage defender in the way.

So I say it's a completely worthwhile deterrent.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:16 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine providing you don't have a normal up and over garage door that you can bend the corners of in with your bare hands.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It'll be fine providing you don't have a normal up and over garage door that you can bend the corners of in with your bare hands.

I agree. Plus my kids unlock mine using a key from a corned beef tin.

In my experience the best anti-theft devices are not letting the scroats know you have anything worth nicking in the first place, and a dog.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you have an old 70's style door then expect a corner to be peeled back should they want to get in and then them take whatever fits out the hole.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

In my experience the best anti-theft devices are not letting the scroats know you have anything worth nicking in the first place, and a dog.

They’ll probably steal the dog over a bike these days.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit cruel to keep a dog locked up in a garage Sad

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaguely on topic; what's a more secure option for a garage door?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:59 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machine gun nest and searchlights.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:16 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on ebay for "Enfield Garage Door Bolts". They wind out about two inches and can be used for the corners of up and over doors. But no matter what you fit there will always be some way of defeating it, except for the machine gun nest etc

ZD

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Depends on the door I suspect. My up and over.... doesn't matter what locks I use, I am pretty certain the entire garage door frame would come away from the wall with frighteningly little persuasion Shocked Laughing In my experience many old 70/80's up-and-over doors are in a similar state.

I rely on being in a very quiet little street with plenty of nosey neighbours more than anything else!

I've been in a couple of garages with motorised roller shutter doors recently that seemed very solid in comparison. One in particular had chunky seems down the sides of the door and a solid looking bar across the bottom of the shutter - it looked a fortress compared to mine!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My up and overs can be bumped out of their roller-tracks just by leaning hard on them, which makes them useless in security terms.

What about installing a 1.0m high horizontal bar inside the door using scaffold pole so that anyone wanting to pinch your bike has to either cut the pole with a grinder, cut whatever you choose to lock it with, or lift the bike over. Someone I know did this and the only bother he ever had was when he lost the key and had to grind through it himself. Just a thought...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I reckon if I needed it, I'd be looking at a Guardsman (reviewed on Youtube by Missenden Flyer). A bespoke and expensive version of what Diggs was on about. Looks pretty effective to me.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

I reckon if I needed it, I'd be looking at a Guardsman (reviewed on Youtube by Missenden Flyer). A bespoke and expensive version of what Diggs was on about. Looks pretty effective to me.

Literally the thing I was about to say I was going to get. While I am waiting for my lease to expire in August next year so I can move to a house with its' own garage I was going to rent a lock-up from the council to store my big bike in. I was going to install one of those guardsman security barriers and then chain the bike down through the back wheel using a big fuck-off chain to a ground anchor and on the front I would just use the Roadlok unit that would be permanently on the bike anyway.

https://image4security.com/collections/guardsman-garage-security-barrier/products/garage-security-barrier

I just think that ultimately if the thieving scum want your stuff they're going to take it anyway but using all the above they're going to need to get through:

1. Guard barrier - good luck lifting the bike over it so they would need to cut through it, weakest point looks like the bar itself so they'd need to use an angle grinder and make a cut which will probably take a couple minutes. It would be better if the bar wasn't telescoping to force them to make two cuts but it is what it is. Probably make them spend about two minutes on that.

2. Ground anchor and massive linked chain - they ain't going to be bolt cropping it, but to get through (1) they needed an angle grinder anyway. Even the Oxford beast will probably need two cuts at about another minute or two for each cut. Either that or they spend a couple minutes taking the rear wheel off and stealing a heavy bike without a rear wheel.

3. Roadlok unit - probably the worst thing they will need to deal with as its mounted to the brake calliper and bolts through the disc brake. To get it off they will not only need to cut the bolts on the brake calliper but will also need to cut the disc brake aswell. This will take at least four cuts and leaves them with no front brakes at all afterwards.

All in all probably in the hole about a grand to cause the thieves as little as 10 minutes hinderance. Hopefully it's enough time for the alarm to have annoyed the neighbours enough they go to windows to look at the racket and then phone the police and maybe, just maybe plod will turn up. Unlikely though. For me it's simply about making it look like too much effort that they decide to go steal someone else's bike instead.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guardsman / barrier approach is good for preventing a bike being nicked, but anything more portable it's not going to help. I like the idea of MGs and searchlights . . . although it'll blend in around here

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:08 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your primary threats are opportunistic thieves and general scum who would nick (or vandalize) any bike they can. Having a garage defender is a good defence there.

If you were trying to protect against a more targeted attack - stolen to order sort of thing - then you would also consider a better garage door, and more locks. This fairly quickly become self-defeating. Locks are expensive, and removing them all just to take the bike for a ride is self-defeating.

A tracker is a good call. If the scrotes do manage to get your bike, chances are they will leave it somewhere localish for a few days before moving it on. They did with mine. Tracker helps you get it back.

There is no such thing as perfect security, and the security benefits quickly go into diminishing returns the more you spend on it.

My personal preference - a decent lock on the door, a disc lock on the bike, tracker, and CCTV. CCTV (nest etc) only works if you have power and internet in the garage. Any significant spend beyond that is worth keeping back to pay the insurance excess.

DJS
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:36 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I love the idea of one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Security-Burglars-Intruders-Galvanized/dp/B0049ACMC6

It surely would cause a brown trouser moment, if not a full blown heart attack, in a thieving scrote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlock the garage door lock itself. I used to open mine with a paperclip and something to turn the keyway when I lost the key and that was on a brand new garage. Thank god thieves don't seem to realise lockpicking is a thing anymore.

Those guardsman barriers look good, but I've seen videos of thieves bending up the corner of a door and sliding the bike out on it's side, so I think they would just do the same with that. It could really do with another bar lower down.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cannot understand exactly what is inside some of you lots heads.

The level of security required is dependant on the level of the threat that exists.

£1 padlocks on a shed are OK where I live, but if you live in a 3rd floor bedsit on a sink estate in Hackney, then it ain't going to secure your imaginary Panigale in the community car park is it?

If you're intellect struggles to quantify the threat level, then get some respected advice. I'd be equally as happy asking my local Police crime prevention officer as I would inviting one of the local scrotes around to show me how they'd do it, & I have done both.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I really cannot understand exactly what is inside some of you lots heads.

The level of security required is dependant on the level of the threat that exists.

£1 padlocks on a shed are OK where I live, but if you live in a 3rd floor bedsit on a sink estate in Hackney, then it ain't going to secure your imaginary Panigale in the community car park is it?

If you're intellect struggles to quantify the threat level, then get some respected advice. I'd be equally as happy asking my local Police crime prevention officer as I would inviting one of the local scrotes around to show me how they'd do it, & I have done both.

Padlocks for only £1? You locking your shed with some luggage locks mate Laughing

Reminds me of strolling down Argyle Street in Glasgow and some junkie comes up asking for 20p for a cup of tea and I am like "mate, where the fuck in Glasgow City centre are you finding cups of tea for 20p"?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I'd be equally as happy asking my local Police crime prevention officer as I would inviting one of the local scrotes around to show me how they'd do it, & I have done both.

They never left.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2