Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

03 honda vtr 1000 clutch

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

nook6
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:15 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: 03 honda vtr 1000 clutch Reply with quote

Hi all
i have a vtr 1000 it had been sitting a couple of years got it all going again, but the clutch is only just biting.
I cleaned the clutch plates and changed the fluid in the clutch and bled the clutch system.

the lever feels like the clutch it working when i pull the lever the clutch plates go loose and tighten when i let out the lever. if i rev it up in gear it does move forward but very very slowly (probably less than 1mph).

when i pull the clutch in and put it in gear it sounds and feels like it all goes into gear ok.

Any hints or suggestions greatly appreciated
thank you

Nook6

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll presume the fault was there before you went near the clutch plates, but if you cleaned them with something incompatible that's not going to help.

I'll also presume it's not stuck in neutral, and the brakes are not binding, and this is a clutch issue.

Have you changed the oil recently or added anything like friction modifiers to the oil?

If the plates are excessively worn then it won't bite, so is the width of the plates in spec?

The other thing would be loss of clamping force, but for six springs to come loose is a bit improbable, but the push rod that the clutch slave actuates may be sticking so have you looked at that?

nook6
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:49 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I'll presume the fault was there before you went near the clutch plates, but if you cleaned them with something incompatible that's not going to help.

Yes the problem was there before i touched it, when i say cleaned the clutch plates i mean i wiped them over with some paper and made sure they werent stuck together with dry oil

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I'll also presume it's not stuck in neutral, and the brakes are not binding, and this is a clutch issue.

the brakes are fine (i have rolled the bike and tried the brakes all work as should) it isnt stuck in neutral because when i put it in gear and let clutch out it does move forward it seems like its slipping really badly.

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Have you changed the oil recently or added anything like friction modifiers to the oil?

i havent changed the oil but i have changed the clutch fluid and bled that, and i havent added anything to the oil.

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
If the plates are excessively worn then it won't bite, so is the width of the plates in spec?

i havent measured the plates but they seem as though there is plenty of meat on them,

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
The other thing would be loss of clamping force, but for six springs to come loose is a bit improbable, but the push rod that the clutch slave actuates may be sticking so have you looked at that?

when i looked at the clutch plates after putting it together again i pulled the clutch lever in and the springs all compressed and the plates went loose then i let the clutch out again and it all tightened up again.

Thank you for your reply and i hope this helps a little

Nook6

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be very bad for the oil to slip that much with car oil (modified for efficiency and reduced friction).

This is the parts stack for that bike, I was hoping it would show how many friction plates were in use.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vtr1000f-firestorm-2003-3-englandasv_model6315/partslist/E__0700.html#.YLqkdCLTWDY

The important part is that the friction plates are on both the outer most ends and the middle alternates with friction, steel, friction etc.

If there were some plates missing, or the parts are not fitted like in the diagram then the final drive would would lose power. Might be an idea to double check. Also get hold of the service manual online if you can.

I take it that it's never worked since you've had it? Or you've not noticed slipping in the past that got worse?

Otherwise, measurement of the clutch pack is going to be necessary. Both how much thickness is on the plates and steels, and if in spec (from service manual) and what the gap is when closed to fully open from the pressure plate.

nook6
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:45 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and thank you

the clutch was always working fine i had not noticed a problem with it , then a couple of years ago the starter solenoid went wrong then it stood for two years now got it sorted again.

after i done the solenoid and put a new battery on it there was nothing on clutch lever at all so thats then i started checking things, i had a look as the slave cylinder and made sure that was still moving, then i did the clutch fluid and bled that. but there was still nothing on the clutch lever so i then had a look at the clutch plates.

thank you

nook6

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:33 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to go on with a clutch, I'd go back to the start and re do everything by the book.

Id first take off the cover then while you can see the clutch pull the lever and see if it is engaging/disengaging ok/sufficiently. Id also when apart have a look at the plates in relation to where they should be.

Also go back and measure each plate and spring. Then make sure everything is torqued up correctly.

Finally check the lever/resevoir, potentially some air still trapped after bleeding? A possibility the slave cylinder is leaking maybe?

nook6
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:29 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks all it was my own stupidity lol

when i took out the clutch plates they were all stuck together, when i wiped them over i put then in a pile to go back in and then promptly put them in backwards.
i have now turned them round and its all working fine

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

nook6 wrote:
hi thanks all it was my own stupidity lol

when i took out the clutch plates they were all stuck together, when i wiped them over i put then in a pile to go back in and then promptly put them in backwards.
i have now turned them round and its all working fine

well done Thumbs Up now get out and enjoy the bike. i love the sound of the big v twins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1