Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back after centuries away lol

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:09 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Back after centuries away lol Reply with quote

Hi Everybody
I was a biker inLondon in the 60s and 70s. Then life interfered, now I am looking at coming back, warts and all.
I now live in Shropshire, and , having been ill and got breathing problems I am looking to recapture the glory days - am I mad?

I don't want or need a big bike, only going to use it for days out initially.
My dream is a trip to Scotland or, if Boris lets me, into Europe.
I understand I will need some instruction because things have changed. My A licence is so old it's in Latin and I am thinking about smaller bikes not super bikes.
Any ideas even if it's forget it and grow old gracefully
Best
Benjibutton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb500x is one suggestion - unfortunately it's the wrong one

a better idea is the MT07

I appreciate 500cc and 750cc bikes were big bikes back in the bronze age, but for some stupid reason, they're now small bikes - or on the lower rungs of the middle weight class at any rate

i've not ridden an mt07 but they definitely appeal to me because they're simple, light and have a torquey twin engine

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Back after centuries away lol Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:

I was a biker in London in the 60s and 70s.
I don't want or need a big bike, only going to use it for days out initially.
My dream is a trip to Scotland , I am thinking about smaller bikes

What did you ride in the 60’s & 70’s ? What bikes did you enjoy riding then?
This might give you some idea of what to look for in a modern bike.
IE a twin, or a four cylinder, etc.

I’ve been to Scotland three times on a 250, but that’s not considered normal, hey ho!

As for giving up on bikes??????? NO! never, why should you?
Are you old and frail and infirm?, if the answer is no, then keep going Thumbs Up

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:51 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys Back in the day I rode Triumph Speedtwin 500, Road Rocket 650 etc, So I liked twins. I was never into high speed - only did " the ton" a couple of times.Preferred just going for a ride out. I am not frail, although at 70 I am not a spring chicken! I would be riding solo. I am thinking cc wise up to about 500 max - pointless to get anything bigger as I wouldn't do it justice. Hope this info helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:39 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:
I am thinking cc wise up to about 500 max - pointless to get anything bigger as I wouldn't do it justice.

It's not about you "doing it justice", it's about finding what works for you. If that turns out to be a 1400 Kawasaki hyper tourer (Unlikely), so be it. If that's a 650 Royal Enfield, so be it. Ergonomics are going to be the deciding factor to physically riding the bike. Go sit on a load of styles, see what's better. Then you can narrow down the aesthetics. Any bike will be more than fast enough, but you know a bike only goes as fast as you twist the throttle.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:51 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I need to try a few, different sizes and weights, sitting on them, putting on and off the centre stands and physically handling them - I'm not as strong as I used to be lol, and as I said before I suffer from shortness of breath.
Innovations like electric starters, disc brakes, better tyres, ABS, reliability will all be new to me.
My first visit will be to a dealership, to see all the different options available to me, and to ask hopefully sensible questions.
Thanks Everybody
benjibutton

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well worth having a browse through Royal Enfield's offerings. The Bullet is pretty much unchanged since "your era" Wink

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:12 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Enfield now that's a thought Thank You

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:
Royal Enfield now that's a thought Thank You

the 650 Interceptor is very well regarded.
also i see a lot of riding instructors on Suzuki Vstroms, so im guessing they would be worth a look if you want a more modern looking bike.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:35 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vstrom never heard of them but got to be worth looking at Thank You

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:46 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vstrom - just had a quick look at Autotrader - nice looking bikes. i will investigate more Thank You

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy, but comfy

if you're just doing half hour stints, the mt07 would make more sense - easier to wheel around at home, and when parking up - just basically not as cumbersome

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:09 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trevor
I definitely don't want heavy/ cumbersome so MT-07 will be investigated fully.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts in Shropshire are you?

You can PM me if you don’t want to say on a public forum.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the addiction!

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:44 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy No problem, I'm in Telford.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:55 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon90
I guess it's an addiction you don't ever lose. My only questions are about myself - whether I am too old, physically whether I can handle a machine - both questions to be answered by instructor assessment. I still get a buzz out of bikes. I've no interest in the sports bikes or large cruisers ranges.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Back after centuries away lol Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:
I now live in Shropshire, and , having been ill and got breathing problems I am looking to recapture the glory days - am I mad?

No Sir, you are not mad. I can assure you, without reservation, that riding motorcycles can help you find your "fountain of youth." Nothing will put a bounce in your step quite like a spirited ride down a country road. Good on you for seeking that thrill again, and best wishes for your success! Wink

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:32 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jeffyjeff much appreciated, though at my age bouncing when I walk could lead to accidents lol

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan ahead and have a nice flat area in the garage / on the drive. Riding should be no bother for you but moving about by hand might be an effort.

So far my father-in-law's only dropped the old CB400 on himself but if the Bonnie goes over he'd be toast Sad

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X
Yes I take your point. I want to make sure none of it is beyond my physical abilities now - before I spend money, only to waste it. This is why i need to sit on a few and check my handling ability on and off centre stand and manoeuvring etc.Thanks for your concern
Best benjibutton

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:00 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:
Carbon90
I guess it's an addiction you don't ever lose. My only questions are about myself - whether I am too old, physically whether I can handle a machine - both questions to be answered by instructor assessment. I still get a buzz out of bikes. I've no interest in the sports bikes or large cruisers ranges.

Yeah, the itchiness never go away.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon 90 I understand even antibiotics don't cure this one!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely has to be an RE Interceptor, althought has anyone 'toured' on one. Not a Bullet though FFS

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE Interceptor or Triumph Street Twin. Both are lovely bikes to look at and ride, have "enough" power and aren't massively heavy. I had a Street Twin; it's 900cc but don't let that put you off, it's a very low state of tune with 54bhp (increased to 64bhp from 2019 I think) so it's not manic.

The new RE Meteor is just 350cc and 20bhp; it's not going to storm motorways but for the lanes and B roads it's ideal.

Although obviously ABS wasn't a thing in your former riding days and many will argue it's not needed now, traffic behaviour and quantity has changed a lot - I would recommend a bike with ABS. These bikes, being relatively new releases, will all have it. Just gives a bit more comfort if you hang on to the brakes (which are probably significantly more potent than back in the day too!).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3