BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back after centuries away lol

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly less positive note, think carefully about security too. I know there are some less pleasant areas in Telford. Sadly something else that has changed is thieving - anything with an engine and two wheels is game these days. Crying or Very sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
anything with an engine and two wheels anything you can steal with an angle grinder is game these days. Crying or Very sad

FTFY Sad

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
anything with an engine and two wheels anything you can steal with an angle grinder is game these days. Crying or Very sad

FTFY Sad

Well technically . . .

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:32 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man I am going to look at Enfields for sure.
Thunderguts ABS is definitely a benefit with the idiots out there , and, to be totally honest my reactions will def be slower than before.
As far as areas are concerned in Telford, I live semi rural in a nice area, behind locked gates with good security and 2 dogs, but that doesn't mean anything today.
I am going out to "test seats" next week, which will give me more idea what I want, but certainly I don't think I would look at large cc as a first return to biking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Well technically . . .

I was thinking: not just motorbikes, catalytic converters from cars and vans. Usually from a surfeit of a certain traveling class in the area.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:52 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X
We don't actually accept having our drives tarmaced for cash where I live. There are a lot of shotguns per square mile - Gamekeepers and Gangsters spring to mind, and as for the farmers ... well need I say more.
Seriously though I do take the points made regarding security and I am as well protected in that direction as is possible.
What systems do you all use ? Obviously trackers and disc locks, alarms and cut out switches - anything else I should consider?
I can feel the costs are mounting lol
Cheers Everybody
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layers of different things to make it not worth the trouble but as much security as you can be bothered with Smile

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:21 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Easy-X If you don't mind me asking what security do you use ? Just looking for ideas

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

for one thing keep your bike parked out of sight. i think some insurers wont even give you a policy if the bike isnt kept off road.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:
OK Easy-X If you don't mind me asking what security do you use ? Just looking for ideas

One wheel changed to a metal post (equivalent to having a ground anchor) disk lock and bike cover.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:56 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You
I've got a lockable metal shed behind our 7 ft gates and CCTV and motion detector floodlights. I will fit an alarm siren on shed as well.
Out and about I guess it will only be a heavy lock and chain plus alarm. I'm going to fit a secret cut out switch as well.
I think that should do it, but theses days who knows
Cheers benjibutton

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add some razor wire and you're all set Wink

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Add some razor wire and you're all set Wink

maybe a couple of large hungry canines too.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:09 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sounds excessive but shed is for tools and building materials, when I was building house, there is room for a bike in there - after tidying lol.
The rest is all there including 2 dogs + 1 cat - all of which are greedy lol.

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:50 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, been to a dealers today - bums on seats - or not! Found difficulty in balancing to get leg over - no smutty jokes please I feel crap enough. They suggested for "someone of my years and lack of agility", a scooter or maxi scooter was the answer.
I said I would consider that option and left.- Not what I actually thought about their attitude.
Don't know what I am going to do.
Cheers Everybody
benjibutton

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:
Well, been to a dealers today - bums on seats - or not! Found difficulty in balancing to get leg over - no smutty jokes please I feel crap enough. They suggested for "someone of my years and lack of agility", a scooter or maxi scooter was the answer.

OK, well, you have options. Don't get down on yourself; the dream is still within reach. Option 1 is to take the dealer's advice. Scooters are cool, and you can experience the thrill on a smaller scale. If you don't want twist-and-go, you can find an older Vespa with clutch and four speed shifter on the left handgrip. Here is a pic from a scooter rally I attended back in 2004. I found hundreds of like minded people who all shared a love of riding two wheels.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51250588055_55c9ce7708_c.jpg

Option 2, consider a side car. Not for everyone, and a physical workout to ride and to turn. But few vehicles grab people's attention quite like a moto with a side car.

Option 3 is a trike, something like a CanAm Spyder. Fast and exhilarating; but if that is not your cup of tea, then maybe a Harley trike.

I hope you do not give up on your dream. Don't let one bad afternoon sour you on riding again. Good luck

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

standing on the foot peg might make getting your leg over easier?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most effective security is nobody knowing you have a bike in the first place. So out of sight, not polishing it on the drive etc. etc. (where possible, obviously). Not everyone has the luxury of a garage, but if you do it's the best start. Then it's things to stop them taking it (physical barriers, chains, disclocks) and deterrents to put them off (alarms, CCTV, trackers if stickered). The more of everything the better.

It sounds OTT and in reality it probably is a lot of the time, but you never know when you've discouraged a prospective thief, whereas if you had lesser measures the first you know about it might be an empty space where the bike was.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjibutton wrote:
I said I would consider that option and left.- Not what I actually thought about their attitude.
Don't know what I am going to do.
Cheers Everybody
benjibutton

Okay look though - mate of mine is 80 and is still an observer in the IAM. One of the best in the club, in fact. He is starting to slow down just a little bit - but on back lanes around Masham, Leyburn and further into the Dales he's still hard to tail and is always looking for overtakes.

If you have any sort of balance difficulties, how does it feel to ride a push bike? Can you get on and off one reasonably easily?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 125 (or 200) VanVan - they're low, not too heavy, and because they're slow, you're not going to feel like it's too much. Get yer eye back in over a few months, and then start to ponder about better bikes.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/bikesocial/2019-february-images/suzuki-vanvan-buying-guide/rv125k3_green.ashx?h=493&w=740&la=en&hash=DED2BE0D5773C148B605D132581111235CE9B284

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:29 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
You have cheered me up.
I wouldn't want a sidecar outfit or a trike.
Scooter? Geared option Lambretta or Vespa is another thought.
Smaller bike is a definite option until I get " bike fit "
Food for thought and doesn't seem so hopeless as it did last night
Thank you so much

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:48 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take one person's opinion as a defining point and let it put you off.

If mobility, strength or balance is an issue why don't you try and work on that to overcome them? Home exercises, perhaps swimming, cycling or a pilates class would all help. Please follow any medical advice you have been given before undertaking anything but there is normally something you can do, plus it will improve your health in general.

The 300/400 range of todays bikes are probably equivalent power wise to what you used to ride but much more sophisticated and the weight should be very low. KTM have their Duke 400, Kawasaki the Z400 and the Yamaha MT03. Having said that there is probably little between the weight of them and the CB500/MT07/SV650/RE in reality, with the larger bikes going to be more appealing for a lot longer.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've just got a problem getting your leg over your doctor can prescribe pills that might help you might consider a cruiser Laughing

benjibutton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X There is always one who takes the easy path to humour lol You couldn't resist it could you? but I have to say a cruiser is a thought.

Irezumi exercise is a problem because of breathing problems , but I do what I can , thank you - good advice

trevor saxe-coburg-gothe sensible ideas and I will look at them Thank You
I can feel more research - unfortunately for you guys that means more questions and visits to more dealers.

Take Care
benji

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off with a Keeway Superlight (a tiddly little 125) faux-cruiser and my recollections are that it was very low to the ground in so far as seat height. But you not need to suffer that: probably a nice little Virago, Bolt, Shadow, that sort of thing.

Foot plates over pegs are nice, a seat with a back rest... if you can get to "I can just about manage this" then there are lots of comfort options to investigate.

That and once you get out in the world and start meeting other bikers you'll find people who'd be more than happy to help you out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3