Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tesla version of a "Bike" - Would you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you buy an electric motor bike ?
Hell No, I love the smell and noise of a combustion engine.
58%
 58%  [ 21 ]
Why not, its saving kittens and puppies.
36%
 36%  [ 13 ]
Id rather buy an electric bicycle
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 36

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub 100Kg ready to go, carbon frame, big travel suspension, two wheel drive, nobblies, enough range to do 200 miles on rough terrain then I'd consider it.

This is the future for a less antisocial way to do green lanes.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:40 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know that Triumph (working with Williams Technology and various universities) reckon they'll shortly have a Speed Triple equivalent (prototype) with a 200 mile range, with 178bhp and only 10kg more weight than a standard bike?

The kicker is probably the price which they've not stated, but they have said "If we can't sell if for a price that people would pay there is no point". The optimistic among you might think that is the *same* price as a Speed Triple, but I'm thinking more in the £25k range at this stage. Even so, if what they are saying is true it could be a game changer.

{edit} I was wrong it is intended to have 120mile range, and is about 20 or so kg more than a Speed Triple {edit}

Last edited by MarJay on 19:13 - 05 Jun 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 200 mile range at what speed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and it’s a big if, I lived somewhere very urban with only short to medium journeys to do.
IF there were lots of charging points in the vicinity of where I lived.
If they were affordable.

Then I might possibly maybe consider thinking about buying one.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:54 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Apologies it's actually a 120 mile range. But they haven't actually built the bike yet.... They just have the drivetrain and battery and controllers on the bench I think.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Apologies it's actually a 120 mile range. But they haven't actually built the bike yet.... They just have the drivetrain and battery and controllers on the bench I think.

And it turns out it's 17.8bhp and 100kgs more? Laughing
And will be available to the public in 2099 Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:09 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

And it turns out it's 17.8bhp and 100kgs more? Laughing
And will be available to the public in 2099 Razz

I was right about the rest of it. I watched the Bennetts video on it about a month back, and my memory can be a bit patchy!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVs for commuting make sense for people who live somewhere where they can charge their vehicle when not using it. Drive/ride it home, plug it in over night and have full charge in the morning. Otherwise, I can't see myself sitting next to a public charger waiting several hours to charge the bike. Fast charging is only on cars, as far as I know, due to cooling.

EVs for fun? I'd rather have an e-bicycle.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were free and it did everything my 9 does but better, I'd be on it like a bonnet. If it had more range, accelerated faster, had a higher top end, steered more accurately, stopped more easily, weighed less, and looked right, I'd rarely ride anything else.

They're tools - albeit tools to create enjoyment. And the ones that get that job done better than others are the ones that in my hands would get the use.

True, I do like my bike's sound, totally stock so not noisy - just a hint of menace at idle, and some beefy induction racket around 7k, and a lusty howl into five figures. On the other hand, I love the fact that it's mostly quite a refined motor, and really pretty quiet for the most part. I've come to appreciate quieter bikes recently, so a lecky fvkka wouldn't be so bad, I reckon.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I'd happily give up 78 of those horsepower for 78 more miles range. I reckon they could do it and more by sacrificing some lightness.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:35 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with EVs is they underdeliver. "100 mile range" translates to more like 60 miles in The Real World™ (and that's with a brand new battery) whereas my XSR is quoted as doing 55mpg and I've managed to get more like 75mpg with some careful M-way/A-road riding.

TBH range is not the issue. "They say 100 miles but..." is not outside the realm of incremental improvement so in 10 years battery tech combined with better range estimations could conceivably get you 100 "real" miles. Just saying that it's a believable goal.

Recharge time is the Achilles Heal. Can you get batteries to charge 80% capacity in 5 mins? Sure! They've done it on phones for ages but scale that up to bikes (and especially cars) and you're looking at necessary upgrades to the electrical grid. As it is we don't technically have enough parking for all the cars we have in urban areas, actual charging capacity for EVs is a joke!

However, looking at the 2030/2035 legislation I'm reading it as "no more pure ICE from 2030 and zero emissions from 2035" that implies traditional EVs but I don't think that precludes something like hydrogen fuel cars Thinking It does kill related tech like methane fuel cells as they generate CO2 Sad

Ultimately with "I want the Moon-on-stick [zero emissions]" I'd ask at what price? "Blank cheque!" No, that can't be good Shocked

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I'd happily give up 78 of those horsepower for 78 more miles range. I reckon they could do it and more by sacrificing some lightness.

What's to stop them making different versions? I think the ultimate aim with the prototype is to replicate a real world Speed Triple performance on an EV. The key thing is they seem to have done something that sounds a LOT more like a standard motorcycle than anything I've seen offered elsewhere. That's assuming their claims are to be believed... They did trumpet (hah!) all this out in numerous press releases though, which Triumph don't often do unless they are sure of something.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:12 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I don't think that precludes something like hydrogen fuel cars Thinking

Hydrogen is an interesting aside. It has applications in places where you might use a diesel generator in a remote location for example. You can ship out Hydrogen cylinders like you would cans of diesel.

However, using it in vehicles in general use (meaning easy access to some form of electricity) is... pretty much pointless. Hydrolising and compressing the hydrogen is an unnecessary extra step which uses energy. Don't forget, you can't break the 1st law of thermodynamics. So why not take the electricity used to hydrolise and compress the gas and use it to charge a battery?

I love the idea of hydrogen as a fuel as it sort of keeps our IC engines in the running, but realistically it's going to be fuel cells and it's going to be niche - For general use batteries are just more practical. Especially if we come up with a battery that doesn't require us to stripmine the whole of Canada to get the components.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Pete. wrote:

What's to stop them making different versions?

Nothing at all and I hope they do. My current bike makes just under 100HP but has bags of torque and the engine responsiveness is it's best feature for me. It's effortless through traffic even with the cylinders poking out the sides. I've done 60k of town riding on it which is 2-3x more than any of the other bikes I've had.

A high torque mid-power electric bike with solid regnerative braking would make a wicked rush-hour commuter.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, we'll be saddled with no choice but to buy electric garbage soon enough as one by one our freedoms are
stripped away from us by our 'masters'. As such, I relish every possible opportunity to do anything that goes directly
against the whims of the nanny state Middle Finger Neutral Middle Finger . I'm a bit of a shit like that, I can't help myself.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old arguments still keep coming out and there is. at present no answer to them.

OK, 20 people go out for a Sunday group howl to a popular biker cafe where there are already another 50 bikes, all wanting a recharge. Is even the Ace cafe going o fit more than a couple of charge points?

The infrastructure for electric cars is nowhere near in place. There are 245000 pure electric cars in UK. There are a total of 32,697,408 cars registered in the UK. Who is going to put charging points in bike friendly locations when there are potentially 32 million cars to be charged by 2035.

A commuter bike you can charge overnight in a garage at home, great, I can see that being very popular especially for London and other big cities. A big old tourer going around Europe like I did on my Goldwing? It's dead in the water.

Just to boor you all I have been doing studies into this with boats going electric because the Canal and River Trust have been putting forward their plans to go 'green' (read electric) by 2035. It's a total joke unless you allow hybrids as no one id going to put electric recharging bollards on 2500 mile of inland waterways.

#From boating point of view HVO is the only practical way but thats diesel replacement, not petrol.

HVO, which is marketed by Neste Oil as “the highest quality diesel in the world,” stands for Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil: renewable diesel produced in the process of hydrogenation, i.e. treatment with hydrogen. ... The main product of the HVO process is the, so called, Green Diesel.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmech.2018.00007/full

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's going to be much in the way of private vehicle ownership. There'll be companies doing deliveries of goods and services, mostly generated by online orders, and public transport.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't think there's going to be much in the way of private vehicle ownership. There'll be companies doing deliveries of goods and services, mostly generated by online orders, and public transport.

Climate change summit attendees will still use private jets to get there though.
Mad

<Pick a name> took private jet to Iceland for environmental award, called it 'only choice for somebody like me'

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 06 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Climate change summit attendees will still use private jets to get there though.
Mad

<Pick a name> took private jet to Iceland for environmental award, called it 'only choice for somebody like me'

That's ok though because the top tier is going to be so tiny relatively, they could use two-stroke-powered jumbo passenger liners and we'd still have reduced pollution to negligible amounts overall.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as an only bike, but if I were lucky enough to have multiple bikes I would have a Tesla bike for fun. That said, if the pricing is anything like Tesla it'd be a (exhaust) pipe dream.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:08 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a tesla, would have one again, fantastic thing.

I'd also have the equivalent bike - IF I had the use for one.

I got the tesla when I was doing a 75 mile round trip commute. I sold it when I ended up working from hom indefinitely and Im smoking around in a Jaguar XJR instead doing about 30 miles a week.

What I'm trying to say is, as a form of transportation, in appropriate circumstances, I'd definitely have one. As a replacement for a weekend bike, no chance.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:38 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others have said before me, I would love one but only when the range, price and "refuel" time is that of a petrol bike.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touring electric coach stranded at Eden Project after failing to find charging point in Cornwall.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/touring-electric-coach-stranded-eden-5524525?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tax these massive SUVs to the point of extinction. This way every shit driver will not have to over compensate, and might feel safer in smaller vehicles as the mass disparity in an accident will mean lighter safety structures would be less of an issue.

It would also reduce particulate matter originating from huge tyres and brake pads, such emissions are conveniently overlooked when people bang on about electric milk floats.

On top of this, acceleration and energy usage would improve, resources wouldn't be depleted at the current rate, and the driving dynamics would improve, more cars could fit in any given car park or traffic jam, and they might actually be more fun to drive than a 2+ ton laptop battery on wheels.

If you need a 4WD 3 ton wagon to lug about your huge family or business, it should also be limited to 55mph like any other HGV, thus reducing kinetic energy in an impact and reducing energy use.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Tax these massive SUVs to the point of extinction.

That's what Norway does. Ford Galaxy = 60k.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3