Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eScooter trials in London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: eScooter trials in London Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

Okay, so we all knew this was coming. What I didn't know: you need a driving licence with a 'q' on it, translation: at least a UK provisional or full overseas licence.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:22 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: eScooter trials in London Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Okay, so we all knew this was coming. What I didn't know: you need a driving licence with a 'q' on it, translation: at least a UK provisional or full overseas licence.

That was what the government said when they announced the trial six months ago.

You'll next be telling us you have to rent a scooter from one of the trial scooter rental places......

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: eScooter trials in London Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
That was what the government said when they announced the trial six months ago.

You'll next be telling us you have to rent a scooter from one of the trial scooter rental places......

I'm afraid the red mist descended on the initial stories and I never noticed. Anyhoo, just a heads up for our London brethren Smile C*nts on eScooters to the left, pizza guys on the right...

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:00 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you haven't ridden in London in a while.

It's e-scoooters to the left, right, middle... Shocked
feckers are everywhere

the rentals should be easy to spot & avoid
they'll be the ones NOT doing 30mph +.. Laughing

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:14 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

raak wrote:
if you haven't ridden in London in a while.

It's e-scoooters to the left, right, middle... Shocked
feckers are everywhere

the rentals should be easy to spot & avoid
they'll be the ones NOT doing 30mph +.. Laughing

Every time I need to bike into London I get almost run over by some idiot on one of those criss crossing through traffic without a care in the world Middle Finger Middle Finger

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyve been here in Southampton for a few weeks now. not caused me any grief yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:
Every time I need to bike into London I get almost run over by some idiot on one of those criss crossing through traffic without a care in the world Middle Finger Middle Finger

It's not just London mate, even up here in Glasgow there's loads of cunts on fast as fuck e-scooters going about on pavements, on the road, country parks, etc. Even seeing kids on the e-scooters instead of bicycles.

Glasgow city centre is horrible to drive through, cunts on e-scooters and cunts on bicycles (worst are Deliveroo) just go for it with no cares in the world. Seen bicyclists clip and smash car wing mirrors while riding between them and they just keep going and don't stop: it's not like the car driver can magically drive through the other cars to follow them or if there's even a registration number on the bicycle to take note of.

Not gonna lie, it grinds my gears that bicyclists and e-scooter riders just do what they want, no insurance, no accountability, etc. They are the last cunts to admit to doing any wrong and the first cunts to cry and play the victim. Fucking hate them all.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the new solution to the impending obesity epidemic.
They'll come with insulin holders on the next model.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I went up town there was some cunt chap on an eScooter taking selfies as he went past the Clapham Grand Shocked

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have some here in York as well. I'm not sure what kind - but they seem to be on a rentable basis, parked in groups of four or five. No idea how much it costs to rent one, nor for how long. I have seen them in use though and they're relatively popular. They've not been a problem for me personally as of yet. But there's most of the summer ahead still, and what with people not going abroad so much, maybe the madness and mayhem of Kavos et al will find expression in nutters on scooters in touristy cities throughout the UK. Not *that* likely.

But question remains - will they catch on as a more useful Boris Bike sort of arrangement? Could be quite cool, in a way. If you lived right in the middle of town, next to a scooter bay, and worked somewhere that was next to one. Eh - nah. Not sure you could ever rely on them to that extent. More likely they're just a gimmick for tourists.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had them in Bristol for a while too. They are dropped off in strategic places fully charged during the night.
It's £5 an hour to rent one. They have indicators and lights front and rear as well as sort of a numberplate thingy
to identify them. Also a telescopic handlebar, solid tyres, and brakes on both sides of the bar and a phone holder.
I'd say maybe 15-18 mph is the top speed of them give or take. There's loads dotted about the "right on"
Gloucester Rd area. It amazes me they aren't vandalised by the pissed up crowds coming out of the bars and pubs
round there although I have seen some pushed over onto the floor. I believe you have to have an app and then scan
a QR code on the scooter to start them up. Seems to be all the rage to whizz around with an obnoxiously loud bluetooth
speaker banging out the choons. I've never used one but have had a good look at them when they are parked.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:41 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently one hire company is adding noise makers to them after complaints from pedestrians that they're too quiet. This'll happen in several cities.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:57 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: eScooter trials in London Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

You don't as they're not mechanically propelled but that wouldn't stop the authorities trying it on.
You could stick some pedals on it or like a see-saw handcar and call it an electric bicycle.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:21 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of an electric scooter isn't 'mechanically propelled'?

Fuckwit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicycle: wholly or partly propelled by the input of the user. (Throttle driven eBikes require a special licence to be sold in the UK and still need to allow pedal-assist mode and be under 250W.) No licence required.

Motor vehicle: self propelled*, requires at least a provisional licence with the specific category entitlement for the desired vehicle.

*Whether it's electric, petrol or steam driven is neither here nor there.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:38 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Electrically assisted cycles have an exemption under the law.

It's like the old moped law. If it can't be pedalled it wasn't a moped. No restriction on the power of the 50 cc engine though.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:20 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What part of an electric scooter isn't 'mechanically propelled'?

Fuckwit.

The part where there's no chains or pistons that go broom broom.
Stop supporting people being mugged off.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:45 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO, the police, CPS, and the government say they are illegal.

The first upholds the law, the second prosecutes the law and the third makes the law.

And then there are the judges that are convicting people for using them.

And then there is you, saying they are all wrong.

(yes electric vehicles aren't technically mechanically propelled but they are still covered by the same legislation as all other vehicles that aren't manually powered. Are you suggestng that a 150 bhp equivelent bike or a tesla aren't subject to the same laws as ICE vehicles?)

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:42 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
SO, the police, CPS, and the government say they are illegal.

The first upholds the law, the second prosecutes the law and the third makes the law.

And then there are the judges that are convicting people for using them.

And then there is you, saying they are all wrong.

How many of those groups have tried it on. The first group are at it on a daily basis.

You might as well add the DVLA for when they mysteriously lost peoples licences and wouldn't add them back even with evidence.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still trying to work out how these scooters get charged up. they are just parked on racks here with no apparent source of power.
is it some kind of voodoo Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
im still trying to work out how these scooters get charged up. they are just parked on racks here with no apparent source of power.
is it some kind of voodoo Shocked

I believe there are vans with charged up models going about in the wee hours of the morning who take the depleted one off the street and replace it with a charged one, then take the depleted ones away and charge them then repeat the cycle.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the UK so slow on this?

I've been riding an esctooter in Spain for years. They are everywhere.

Just set a reasonable power limit then treat them as bicycles. No big deal, they don't really cause a problem, and crashing one hurts a lot less then a bicycle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:

Just set a reasonable power limit then treat them as bicycles. No big deal, they don't really cause a problem, and crashing one hurts a lot less then a bicycle.

Went to Bristol a few weeks back and they are everywhere there. Driving around them is a pain and the fuckers just zip in front of you all the time when you are walking. I'm happy for them to be banned, just as I think people shouldn't be riding bicycles on footpaths and busy roads.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teen dies after e-scooter hit-and-run crash in Bromley

1:20am... 16yo. I'd bet money he was a drug dealer Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:

It's because the UK insist on a minimum standard.

Like, for example, two working brakes, 8nsurance for motor vehicles and, of course, proof that you have a modicum of roadsense in the form of a full license.

And you can't ride a cycle on the pavement legally unless.you are about 5 and have small wheels either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3