Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Dr. BCF will see you now . . . . ?

In the bike world you will never be far away from someone living with debilitating injuries.

There are only 2x things, possibly 3, that work for my undiagnosed back pain issues.

When the pain is crippling I take a low dose of Prozac. Almost impossible to get on prescription these days 'cos the Docs no longer get trips to Las Vegas medical conventions for their trouble. I carry 2 10mg tabs in my wallet & the relief is almost instant. I was told to try it by a chap who suffered life changing injuries 40+yrs ago & it works for him & it certainly works for me. It is also highly addictive & you should only consider it if you can handle taking a one time dose to see if there's immediate relief, you really do not want to be hooked on it.

My other recourse is cannabis. The proper stuff. Almost everyone I know who suffers aches & pains is now on weed. If you have a problem with cannabis being a far more sensible option than anything big pharma can throw at you then bring it on, I know the subject extensively.

The 3rd way is physio. I spent £1000's to discover that most chiropractors really are nothing more than qualified & knowledgeable quacks. Eventually I was recommended to a very well respected sports physiotherapist who wrote me a course of regular exercises & stretches. This does not help me when I suffer an episode, but who knows how much more frequent & painful those episodes would be if I didn't . . . .

Good luck to anyone who may be suffering & I hope it takes a lot less time, effort & £money to find what works for you than it did for me.

Yep... When we think of 'unbearable pain' on here its reading one of your Narc posts where you give everything your 'Midas Touch'.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:

Robby wrote:
Getting a good psychiatrist is also useful, because your mental health is going to beat you even harder than your physical health.

This is an additional issue as it been hard for me to accept what happened, along with getting screwed over by the systems that you expect to be in place to cover such events but never think you would ever need to use. I am very cautious talking about mental health issues with medical professionals due to the risk of loosing my firearms license and having my collection seized.

That is something to ask the shrink at the outset. Are they obligated to pass on any information, at what point do they have to do so, do they have to tell you etc. A good shrink will not go behind your back to do this - if they think you're a sufficient danger to yourself or others, they will tell you. Psychiatry isn't smoke and mirrors, magic, or hypnotism. A lot of it is having uncomfortable conversations and recognising reality.

The other counterpoint there - if a shrink is so concerned that they will break confidentiality, then it's a big deal. In that situation, maybe you shouldn't have access to firearms, or should work out a compromise where they are held by a friend or gun club for a period of time. This would mean you can still shoot, you can still be around shooting buddies, but you don't have them in your home. A compromise like that worked out with your shrink could also work as an alternative to them notifying the authorities.

Basically, don't hold off on getting help because of a constraint you thought up. That would be like me never riding my bike because I'm worried about it getting stolen.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2