BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is this oil?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scarb198931
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Is this oil? Reply with quote

Just had my bike in for repair and mot'd at the same time I haven't even ridden it yet started it up today and some fluid is leaking from here. I'm not with the bike at the moment so I am finding it hard to tell as my partner has spotted it and sent a photo. Hoping someone might know.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell. Is that the oil drain plug with the safety wire on it? Looks like it's leaking from there as you can see fluid around the washer and the wire has been cut and not replaced. Did you have them change the oil too?

Scarb198931
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:13 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Hard to tell. Is that the oil drain plug with the safety wire on it? Looks like it's leaking from there as you can see fluid around the washer and the wire has been cut and not replaced. Did you have them change the oil too?

Yes. They did all of it they had the bike for bloody 10weeks for minor repairs and additional fittings. I think it is the oil plug by the looks of the photo is there a way I can fix it myself as I don't want them having it again, after the hassle last time. Bike newb here but quite hands on.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 10 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarb198931 wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

Yes. They did all of it they had the bike for bloody 10weeks for minor repairs and additional fittings. I think it is the oil plug by the looks of the photo is there a way I can fix it myself as I don't want them having it again, after the hassle last time. Bike newb here but quite hands on.

I'd try just tightening it up a little, just make sure not to overdo it and strip the threads. If it keeps leaking then I guess you have to drain the oil and put a new crush washer in. Make sure you top up whatever oil has leaked out too.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

I'd try just tightening it up a little, just make sure not to overdo it and strip the threads. If it keeps leaking then I guess you have to drain the oil and put a new crush washer in. Make sure you top up whatever oil has leaked out too.

Go easy with teh tightening.. that looks like a diddly drain plug. The sump might already have been damaged. I'd be having t off for a look first. Put a clean container down (very clean) and you can reuse the oil if you don't drop anything in it.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be feasible to take it back, it is unusual for a correctly fitted drain plug to leak but if it does, it could be a world of grief there might already be problems with the threads or even a hairline crack - or they might have re-used the old crush washer and it has cracked or split.

If you tighten it another quarter turn the thread problems they hoped to hide might become apparent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:42 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dowty bonded seal washers, invented in WW1. Seal all kinds of shit without the need to ramshee the bolt down. Re-useable multiple times.

I have them on every oilway on my enfield and they do not leak, even when just "nipped up". (it leaks oil elsewhere but not round any drain bolts or oil pipes).

Why are we even still using single-use aluminium crush-washers?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What oil did they use - it’s very red.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 11 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castrol Power 1 is like that - good stuff but bloody dear.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe people are referring to two different issues/non-issues.

The grey engine oil around the plug should be wiped off first, do not tighten the plug, the fitter possibly didn't rag around the plug. Check again after a run to see if it reappears then, if it has, just nip the plug the tiniest amount, clean, run, recheck, etc.

The red oil needs wiping off (is it on the exhaust downpipes?) and we could do with a pic of the highest point that it starts. Again, looks like sloppy cleanliness by mechanic, so apply same technique as for the other issue.

Both may be nothing or they may be something but without cleaning first, tasking for a short run then re-assessing it's hard to tell.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race bike? Wired oil plugs screams crashed race bike.

What bike is that. Red gunk would say 2 stroke at which point it's weird to have an oil plug unless it's gearbox oil.

I'd wipe it all off and see if it comes back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1