Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another newbie trying to get squared away.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:24 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Another newbie trying to get squared away. Reply with quote

Just looking for some tips and to see if if I am the right track

I have bought a helmet, gloves and have some hiking boots. Is this sufficient? I read on a guide linked from this forum it that some heavy jeans it would be enough as any falls offs at 125cc are likely to be a low speeds.

I was going to get a Keeyway superlight or a Bullit hero S but this forum has convince me other wise and I am hunting for the CBR / YBR. But I am finding that even 2012 models are over £2000, is this normal now for 2021? I am looking at dealers mostly as I need to have it delivered as I would have issues getting to anything outside of 10 miles locally due to crappy public transport.

I have seen some bikes that are listed as Cat N, the cosmetic damage damage does not bother me but I am wondering how this will affect the insurance?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:42 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hurts just as much and can do just as much damage at 30 as it does at 60. 125s are capable of 55 mph these days so they arent exactly slow.

Paddy fell of his skateboard last week and is now in hospital with a fractured spine and loss of feeling in his legs. I'd be surprised if he was doing more than 10 mph...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Another newbie trying to get squared away. Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:
Just looking for some tips and to see if if I am the right track

I have bought a helmet, gloves and have some hiking boots. Is this sufficient?

Are you planning on pushing the bike more than riding it then Laughing

Seriously though, proper bike gear doesn't need to be expensive, plus there are loads of bargains to be had on eBay or Facebook market place

I'd much rather have 2nd hand motorcycle gear over hiking/fashion clothing on a bike

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:28 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Another newbie trying to get squared away. Reply with quote

You can flip and badly hurt yourself even when doing 10 mph. That is why better have some dedicated stuff (you can buy proper biking jeans for about £60 or less). Hiking shoes may also be not the best choice. I took hiking shoes for CBT and immediately after I bought proper bike shoes with reinforced top - you don't feel then the gear lever so badly on top of your foot.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiking boots aren't ideal. It's worth buying proper motorcycle footwear. The design parameters are different; hiking boots are mainly about preventing twisted ankles. Motorcycle boots will have a laterally rigid sole (so if the bike lands on your foot, it doesn't crush your foot) and strategically located impact protection. Hiking boots won't have this either.

I'd get proper M/C stuff in general. RoadSkin do good jeans (circa £130 I think) which offer decent protection but are still comfy off the bike and look "normal" (unless you're into skintight jeans). Honestly, it's worth the spend on decent kit - it'll last you and you'll be thankful if you have a spill, even at low speeds.

It's a wallet-pain buying good gear, but it's a lot less traumatic than the pain you'll feel if you fall off in the wrong gear.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:09 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeans
https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/bull-it-sr6-cargo-easy-jeans-black-49187?searchId=49187&variant=137461
Boots
https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/frank-thomas-microfibre-touring-boots-black-42064?searchId=42064&variant=124715

Have a look at J&S or M&P

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:34 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of second hand gear on facebook marketplace if you don't want to spend too much.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
There is plenty of second hand gear on facebook marketplace if you don't want to spend too much.

^^ this mate, someone else pointed me to second hand gear on my Kids Gear thread and there's plenty about and some deals to be done.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll go right off of any kind of boot with laces the first time you catch a lace on a sticky-out bit of the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:24 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
You'll go right off of any kind of boot with laces the first time you catch a lace on a sticky-out bit of the bike.

Wasn't sure whether I should give this an 'insightful', an 'informative', or a 'mother fucking laces'

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:

Wasn't sure whether I should give this an 'insightful', an 'informative', or a 'mother fucking laces'

I just gave him "agree with post" because I literally tore my fucking laces on the one and only time I ever wore normal boots instead of my alpinestars Mad

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:32 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I have but in an order for new boots and trousers, I could not find anything second hand my size that is not on the other end of the country ^^

Not had much look trying to get a used cbr / ybr for less than 2.4K. just one word answers of 'sold' even if I ask a dealer if they have anymore, got a few more messages pending replies though so still hopeful. That Bullit hero is still available though, so I may just go with that as it is available and just take what I can get.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading in bike mags & papers and ‘stuff’ on the net, those Bullit’s seem to have a reasonable reputation as much as a Chinese bike can.

I’ve seen a couple out and about on the road on my travels.
They appear to look well built.?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:
Thanks.

I have but in an order for new boots and trousers, I could not find anything second hand my size that is not on the other end of the country ^^

Not had much look trying to get a used cbr / ybr for less than 2.4K. just one word answers of 'sold' even if I ask a dealer if they have anymore, got a few more messages pending replies though so still hopeful. That Bullit hero is still available though, so I may just go with that as it is available and just take what I can get.

I sold a 2014 YBR last year for about £900 so that's way too much. Have a look at private sales. If you cant travel and dont mind risking buying a bike unseen then you can get a courier to collect it using something like Shiply.com. I've owned both the ybr and cbr and they are great bikes.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/yamaha-ybr-2014-125-cc-/1407540100

Also you haven't mentioned a jacket so make sure to get one of those too.

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Mr tiddles wrote:
Thanks.

I sold a 2014 YBR last year for about £900 so that's way too much. Have a look at private sales. If you cant travel and dont mind risking buying a bike unseen then you can get a courier to collect it using something like Shiply.com. I've owned both the ybr and cbr and they are great bikes.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/yamaha-ybr-2014-125-cc-/1407540100

Also you haven't mentioned a jacket so make sure to get one of those too.

I did not know shiply was a thing, that £900 surprises me, locally a 2010 does not go below £1800 and they do not seem to stay on sale for long. The Bullit was £1300.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a steep shipping price! Definitely invest in good gears that are comfortable to wear.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

With boots it's a simple choice.

What do you want between your bike and the road if you come off.

1. Your ankle.
2. Decent boots.

If you come off chain side, what do you want the chain sawing at.

1. Your ankle
2. Decent boots.

Hiking boots ( or any short boot) will not give you that protection. Given how much gear is ebay'd by the weekend warriors who use their kit 6 times then buy a new bike and splurge another 2k on matching gear, there's always bargains available.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/330058 - these are my current boot and when they eventually wear out i'll get another pair. Supremely comfortable.

Always worth trying on in store and going for a stomp about to see what suits your foot though. Also make sure you try on with thick socks so you know they'll fit in winter too if you're riding all year around.

Oh and make sure you check your intended trousers will zip up over them / fit inside them.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:

I did not know shiply was a thing, that £900 surprises me, locally a 2010 does not go below £1800 and they do not seem to stay on sale for long. The Bullit was £1300.

£900 was a little cheap but they were generally for sale around £1000. That was just before the lockdowns so maybe everything has gone up in price. Dont be surprised if you buy one and it's worth £1000 next year.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously surprised at the response here - I would happily make do with hiking boots and thick denim jeans to start with, in fact from time to time I still wear my Timberlands and a pair of jeans if I need to. I did about 800 miles on a S1000R in Austrailia in Timerlands and jeans.

Hiking boots are basically what Altberg use as their basis, and are widely regarded as some of the finest bike boots you can buy.

Thick denim jeans did bikers fine for decades. it doesn't sound like you're expecting any miracles from them, you are just after something to get you started - I see no issue with thick jeans for that. It sounds like you know full well that they aren't going to have all of the padding, abrasion resistance, and waterproofing of textiles. Just avoid poly blend jeans (i.e. pure cotton only). Polyester has a nasty habit of melting and sticking to the skin when it gets too hot - as if road rash wasn't bad enough as it is.

Re. the bike, MASH do seem fairly solid, I've seen a few around town. However, if it was my money I would absolutely avoid and go for CB125/YBR125/CBR125 or something of that ilk - Japanese first, possibly Italian/Spanish next. Everything else last.

You might find there is somebody local on the forum willing to help you out getting to a bike if you give a bit of a hint as to your general whereabouts. At that price range I'd be going private sale over trade/dealer personally.

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:33 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already ordered the clothing now the price was felt.

I did save some money on getting finally managing to get an offer accepted on a 2015 YBR for £1100 plus about £100-£150 transportation depending on which which quote I choose which of course will not necessarily be the cheapest as I do like to consider other things than just price. It was distant buy so not able to look at it though, they are also taking it for it's MOT today after leaving it to sit for a while but they did say they gave it a full service this month. It took about 30-40 attempts/inquiries to grab one at that price that was not 'sold' or looked like it was painted with rust. I have Asperger's so dealing with so many people was...draining.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the better things about riding a bike is that it's ALL about you. There's always other road users to look out for but the physical and mental act of riding I find very therapeutic.

The more you do it, the better you get and the better you get the more satisfying it is.

Enjoy it when you get it Smile

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:17 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the bike is finally here. It has a bit more rust and damage than what I was expecting but all in all I am happy with it. I was finding unwired LEDs all over it, seems the previous owner wanted to be a moving disco ball. I also noticed there were no wing mirrors that I missed in the sellers photo so I have ordered a pair.

They said it was full serviced before being sent to me but I am not picking up any oil on the dipstick, my garden is on a slope would that have anything to do with it?

The engine looks like it has a bit missing, I have put a photo of it. It all works without it just wondering what it is. Not seen any pictures of it online, could it have been some sort of mod that was removed? That is a pipe coming out the exhaust and a hose coming down from the engine, they are not connected and there is a bunch of air between them.

All insured and taxed not rode it yet, but naturally I manged to stall it while still on the centre stand ^^ I did my CBT in an automatic 50cc so this is first time manual.

All in all costs so far:
Bike: £1100
Transport: £98
Tax: £21
Insurance (Bikesure): £232
Mirrors: £15

Dicklock & Chain: £30
Helmut: £50
Boots and Jeans: £120
Gloves: £10
Jacket - still shopping, Facebook was a bust so ebay bidding.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:
Bike

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the brotherhood. Also it's not rust, it's a patina! Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would caution you against running the motor until you have some discernable oil on the dipstick. Your garden slope will affect the indicated oil level, but there should at least be some oil in it.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:00 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check oil on level ground and add oil as required but DO NOT overfill!

The pipe may be crankcase breather.

As its a YBR, look after it, give the bike a good clean and if its reliable you'll get your money back when you come to sell it!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3