Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Disappointing places.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
A Sturgeon-SNP-ism

I am fairly certain the fish woman hates motorcyclists... and motorists in general.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:24 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Stop!

There is a home bakers on the Main Street that sell the best pies and sausage rolls ever.

Pardon my skepticism, but if this were the case, I think I'd have heard about it before now.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:48 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Blackpool when i was a kid, my parents had an Hotel.
Was an amazing place from the late 70s through the 80s
I moved away in 1987 and didnt return until about 2002
whats a shock i got, its run down so much its quite sad to see.... its turned into an English Rhyl

What disappoints me is when on a long ride you detour to see an old ruin or something historic and find out there is an admission charge lol

Think i need to join the English/Scottish Heritage and National trust
would be a good excuse for a ride out each week Smile

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you join them you also get free parking where there's on site parking. Worth it for that alone if you're in a city somewhere.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
place for me is Ross-on-Wye. I landed up spending my afternoon performing first aid on a pissed up tramp who'd been knocked out in a fight.

I shan't go again.

Sounds like my kind of holiday Smile Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Bad vibe place for me is Ross-on-Wye. I'm not a particularly superstisious person but first time I went, I checked into a campsite, pitched my tent and was overcome with a feeling I shouldn't stay there. To the extent I packed up my tent and got out of town. Happily checked into one of the nicest youth hostels I've ever stayed in down the road (going there again for my Summer holiday).

The second time I was in a capark in the town centre dropping the wheels out of my bike to get new tyres fitted and landed up spending my afternoon performing first aid on a pissed up tramp who'd been knocked out in a fight.

I shan't go again.

I've stayed at two campsites at nearby Symonds Yat. Talk about chalk and cheese; the first (best, and sadly now closed) was at Symonds Yat East down near the Saracens Head pub. That was a lovely, if basic, campsite with a relaxed feel perfectly in tune with the lazy River Wye flowing past. Fond memories of supping cider from a nearby cider farm while at that campsite in the summer sun. Unfortunately, that campsite closed and everyone is now forced into the campsite slightly further upstream on the west bank of the river. This has a massive capacity, about two traps to deal with the produce of 500 blokes and an adjoining caravan park (not sure if permanent, "travelling through" or temporary). Dirty, overcrowded and generally unpleasant. Totally spoilt that neck of the woods for me. Only ever came across Symonds Yat because it's good for canoe hire with a few companies doing "canoe taxi" services (spend most of the day pottering down the river, then get collected at the end of the day).

Now mentioned as well, Rome - I agree. Mrs Thunderguts wanted to go there, ended up going to Rome, Tivoli and Montepulciano. Rome was a dump, pretty much as described already, although I did find some decent eateries on the backstreets. Montepulciano was friendly enough, but the unisex toilet which had either been graced by someone having a particularly heavy time of the month or a makeshift abattoir wasn't a fond memory. Tivoli was largely unspoilt and enjoyed the time there very much. Bizarrely the local nature reserve (some waterfall/cave complex thing) which was ticketed you could get into for free with our UK National Trust membership.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I'd imagine most people who visit Fort William find it an enourmously underwhelming experience.

Stop!

There is a home bakers on the Main Street that sell the best pies and sausage rolls ever.

I've visited the place countless times as if I'm climbing either on the Ben or the surrounding areas, often base myself nearby. First place I had a deep fried Mars bar (and the last place for that matter), also first place I bought a bottle of single malt whisky (definitely not the last place).

It has a good Morrisons where walking around in climbing gear doesn't look out of place.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:00 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mâcon, France. I have been all over France and most of western Europe. This place is hideous. From the undercurrent of addicts everywhere and dirty restaurants and bars, to the uninspiring town centre. It is truly disappointing. Go stay in the French countryside or any other another town / village.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:17 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

John O' Groats.
Unlike Land's End, which is quite a decent day out, there is fuck all at John O' Groats apart from a gift shop selling the usual touristy tat, a half decent tea room, a tiny little art gallery/shop and a couple of other similar shops, a tiny harbour and a car park. If you take your time in the tea room and shops, there might be enough there to keep you almost entertained for maybe a couple of hours.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd imagine most people who visit Fort William find it an enourmously underwhelming experience.

I know I've been there, but can't remember a single thing about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I know I've been there, but can't remember a single thing about it.

#metoo. There was a pub in the main drag...

Not sure FW qualifies for this thread, underwhelming is a mile away from shite. Marseilles, Algeciras and Bourbon street in New Orleans fit the bill.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:09 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skye

Miserable as shit.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Skye

Miserable as shit.

Seconded. Shitehole and dreich as fuck. Made the ultimate mistake of staying on Raasay Island and then not being able to get back off the Island again because the ferries cancel at the slightest blow of wind. Rolling Eyes

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abroad...

Iraq, what an utter fucking shithole slightly ameliorated by being able to shoot people.

Outside of a warzone, Medicine Hat in Canada. Grubby oil town full of skanky crack whores and meth head muggers. The local Police have a hard on for tasering British Squaddies too, seriously it's like they are running a scoreboard. If they then don't arrest you it costs a few hundred bucks to get a paramedic to remove the taser barbs, or you bite down on something and rip em out yourself. It's claim to fame is the worlds tallest Teepee, which is actually just a load of poles arranged in a Teepee shape.

The Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen is also worthy of mention. Utter shite.

Domestically...

The Rhondda (all of it), grew up here in the 90's it was a ghetto dump then and most of it still is now. Dilapidated high streets full of junkie trash shuffling off to find their next fix and single mothers looking for a local 'roider to bareback them so they can get a bigger council house.

Stockport, pre plague work took me here often. Best view is in the car mirror as you leave. If they want to level this place up I'd suggest using Napalm.

Colchester castle. My old man married his latest here, was expecting a proper huge castle wedding.... oh no some poxy little side chapel while the place remained open and the visitors came to rubber neck and fire off their camera flashes. Oh and the sealed knott society outside were simulating a civil war battle complete with cannons so nobody could hear a word. All at a price equal to a family car.

Colchester zoo.... price gouging exercise with an awful layout. Infact all of Colchester (except the lebanese restaurant, that is awesome) can do one. Over priced crap hole.

Mount Snowdon.... when you have to queue to get to the summit it's never going to be anything but a disappointment.

Rhondda Heritage Park.... still using the simulated rollercoaster to leave the simulated mine. The film for the roller coaster hasn't changed since the 90's and was crap then. About as convincing and realistic as a £3 note. Better off going to Big Pit where you actually go down a mine, though it's near Cwmbran which is shit for all the same reasons as the Rhondda just with more concrete.

I could write a book on this so I'll stop here before I wear out the keyboard.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:03 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Weisse Schlange wrote:
Skye

Miserable as shit.

Seconded. Shitehole and dreich as fuck. Made the ultimate mistake of staying on Raasay Island and then not being able to get back off the Island again because the ferries cancel at the slightest blow of wind. Rolling Eyes

Obviously neither of you are mountaineers. Soloing the Cuillin Ridge definitely ranks as one of life's highlights.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Skye

Miserable as shit.

You must be a fukin' fagit Pal.

Skye is ridiculously picturesque, the folk are awfy friendly and the hotels are nice.

You obviously never got any reacharound from your pillion. Rolling Eyes

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Weisse Schlange wrote:
Skye
Miserable as shit.
You must be a fukin' fagit Pal.

No idea the honourable gentleman means, but presumably shares my opinion that Skye is OK... we spent the best part of a day there last September riding doing a lap on the way home from an NC500-ish trip and I thought the place was fab. Stunningly beautiful, was devoid of tourists, what's not to like, really?

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:05 - 11 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s full of miserable bastards who hate you but want your money and the you to fuck off.
It’s nice to look at as long as you don’t stop

Miserable shit hole.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 11 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
It’s full of miserable bastards who hate you but want your money and the you to fuck off.
It’s nice to look at as long as you don’t stop

Miserable shit hole.

Next time you are up this way, don't stop. Keep right on to the End of the road. If you have a favourable tail wind you'll mibby land a fair distance into the Kyle Rhea Strait.

Maybe one of the miserable Islanders will call the coast guard/AA/RAC/RLNI to assist you.
Or mibby no.. Thinking

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venice.

What an awful smelly dump of a place....and mega expensive.

I was working in Mestre which is the industrial area adjacent to 'that place' and was awaiting spare parts to be flown in from the UK.So the MD of the factory asked if I had ever been to 'that place' so joined him and another.After a coffee and a look around by boat I was glad to get back to work.

Then there is Paris (eu)
And Mont St.Michel (eu)
And Toulouse (eu)

Always have a 'Plan B'

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris - agreed.

If Gare du Nord was the first thing you saw ( and all the trampy folk hanging around in it) you'd get right back on the train and go elsewhere.

That is one of the scruffiest least pleasant stations i've had the misfortune to spend time in.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Paris - agreed.

If Gare du Nord was the first thing you saw ( and all the trampy folk hanging around in it) you'd get right back on the train and go elsewhere.

That is one of the scruffiest least pleasant stations i've had the misfortune to spend time in.

..because Parisians are, by and large, cvnts. Worse than Londoners by some margin. They are some nice bits but you'll only find them after 20 years living there is my guess.

PS The Louvre - 4 hours of abject misery, couldn't wait to get the fvck out of there.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing an exhibition set up in the Louvre funnily enough - the events management staff ( French) were superb.

The rest of the people i bumped into ( Tourists) far less so.

Parisians as a rule .... a no from me.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Venice.

What an awful smelly dump of a place....and mega expensive.

Al Gore swore to me that it would be under 12 feet of water by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Cornwall... Lands End - horrendous concrete tourist trap last time I was there. Lizard Point is much nicer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3