Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tests Passed What Should I Buy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:35 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Tests Passed What Should I Buy Reply with quote

Morning all,

After a 17 year discussion I’ve finally managed to talk Mrs Prawny around and got my A licence and she’s on board finally with me getting rid of the scooter and getting a bike.

My examiner is buying the Vity off me so I’ve got about £500 cash to play with, will need to top up with some kind of never-never.

Do I get something cheap and old from a dealer?
Newer but second hand from a dealer?
Spunk a load on a PCP deal for a new bike
Try and find something on eBay for £500 (unlikely to find anything this time of year)

Then what do I get?
It’ll be a commuter 99% of the time but would like the option to ride longer trips if work or life called for it.
Im not a speed demon, I’m nearly 40 and not interested in sports bikes or Harleys.
Im 5’11, 13 stone and physically fit and reasonably strong so I’m not desperate for something lightweight.

How do you go about test riding stuff? Do you have to book? Or just rock up with your gear in the car on the off chance?

I quite like the look and idea of an NC750X but I’ve seen a couple of CBF1000s locally that also look pretty swish.

Another consideration is that I don’t currently have a garage so bike will live on the drive. So I’ll need something that isn’t going to rust like a 90s Ford or catch the eye of local scrotes- it will be parked under the cctv though so hopefully would put some off, along with locks and covers etc.

Sorry for the long post, excited to

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you'll get anything but a nail for £500 on ebay mate.

PCP deposit it is then Laughing

What's your monthly budget?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mt07 maybe

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will need to be a low monthly, less than £100 I reckon. I think the MT might be a bit too spendy.

I quite like VStroms but they’re far too much money new.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Will need to be a low monthly, less than £100 I reckon. I think the MT might be a bit too spendy.

I quite like VStroms but they’re far too much money new.

Using the finance calculator on Suzuki's website a VSTROM 650 is £105.73 a month on PCP with a £500 deposit.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

it never occurred to me to buy new

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
it never occurred to me to buy new

It doesn’t feel like the best idea to me, but dealer APRs are crazy, and loans don’t get cheap until you’re borrowing £5k+ at which point the monthly payments are as much as a new one on pcp.

Didn’t realise the V Strom was that cheap on pcp, there’s a dealer just down the road too…

I was tempted by the BMW 310s but I’m starting to think I’d get bored on one of them before the 3 years was up. I like the sound of 80-100mpg though.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:32 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a bike supermarket nearby?

Best bet is go have a look there, give ‘em your budget and see what they suggest.

Personally I reckon you will get fed up with a 310 quite quickly. What is your commute like? 30 miles of A and B roads or 10 minutes through heavy traffic?

Coming up to 12 months with a full licence and a 650 is enough for me at the moment, not extracting it’s full potential by quite a way yet.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:40 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half way between both, 10 miles mostly NSL country roads into town.

Also potential to go the other way into the city which is a mix of all rods and maybe motorway if I feel like going that way no that I can.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing the PCP thing I think a new Enfield Interceptor is about £80 a month.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:37 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love interceptors, I wouldn’t want to ruin one with luggage though, they’re too good looking. I suppose some soft panniers might look ok for odds and sods. Worth thinking about, there’s a dealer by my office too.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£4800. Needs a new chain or a good chain clean would do it. I'm too lazy. 3000 miles. 2019 model on 20 plate.Panniers not included. Great value first bike,

Sorry for this post guys. Don't mark me down too much. Have got a change of bike fetish.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/117180417_277471136882022_6874850278032097590_n.jpg.0cd8516c18c60682c053c8fd779d11e1(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

EDIT, you're too big for the Ninja. Get a CB650R or CBR650R, would be my choice.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:47 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget has been trimmed by life Mad

Working with £3k ish tops preferably from somewhere that will take a credit card. CFO would be happier if I could spend less than £2k but after riding the Vity for 2 years I’d like something I could be proud of riding.

There’s not a fat lot out there at the moment that isn’t super old, covered in fairings or been to the moon and back. Also id like something without a super loud pipe which seems difficult on a budget.

Is there anywhere else I should look at, I’ve worn out eBay and autotrader.

I’m considering taking a trip up to superbike factory, but I’ve heard mixed reviews and don’t want to go all the way up there for nothing or get landed with an absolute shagger.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
.. or get landed with an absolute shagger.

..that's been my life's work to date. Alas...

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:15 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
get landed with an absolute shagger.

Mrs Bastard gets annoyed when I describe her as such*

* It's true, though.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Prawny wrote:
get landed with an absolute shagger.

Mrs Bastard gets annoyed when I describe her as such*

* It's true, though.

Whatever Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:10 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted an F800ST on eBay locally at lunch, in the right price range. Anything I should look out for? YouTube and online reviews seem ok, at least for the money.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody horrible bike, when I test rode one for half an hour on a bmw demo day out of squires

its sensible ergos suggested comfort, its motor promised a decent, torquey bit of power, and the badge said quality all round

but in fact, it was buzzy, annoying and deeply uncomfortable after barely 15 minutes - i was very glad to get off it, my arse was knackering and it was like the subframe had sharpened rails

i've not ridden many bikes that outright p1ssed me off but that was definitely one of them - it had absolutely nothing to recommend it and i'd rather have been in a car

but these things are so ridiculously subjective as to render my opinion valid more or less only to myself - it might feel like a magic carpet ride on a thing of beauty to someone (anyone?) else

the bike i queued up for after that was an r1200rt, which was lovely - a bit of a handful when the going got technical but yes, an excellent thing it was - maybe not the best first big bike, however - more likely the last one

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:34 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, was having second thoughts anyway so I’ll leave that one.

No major rush to buy anything at the moment anyway, so I won’t let excitement get the better of me.

Might hang on until late August/September and pick up something when the prices have calmed down a bit. Seems a bit nuts to me at the moment.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:40 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get a lot of posts asking "Which Bike".

Its impossible to pick a bike for a complete stranger.

There are so many good bikes to choose from it all depends what style you like.

Sports bikes, Naked streetfighter, adventure, Cruiser.
Small engine, Big engines
basic and all mechanical or Full of gadgets and electrics
Easy to maintain and clean or looks good but a complete bastard to clean

The best bikes are the big well established manufacturers Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Ducati, Triumph, KTM etc etc. (in no particular order btw)

Those bikes hold there price, which means its a pain when your the buyer, but great when your selling later.

Some on here will likely suggest a Chinese option because your budget is more in line with them, but since your keeping it outside i would avoid them, your bike will age rapidly even if covered.

As hard as it is, i would stick with the scooter and keep saving, until you can buy a decent bike on finance.
During this time, test ride a few different bikes.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:05 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Cool, was having second thoughts anyway so I’ll leave that one.

No major rush to buy anything at the moment anyway, so I won’t let excitement get the better of me.

Might hang on until late August/September and pick up something when the prices have calmed down a bit. Seems a bit nuts to me at the moment.

Go and try it. Everyones milage varies. I have an f800s and i agree with a lot of the above, buzzy, a little uncomfortable more than a couple of hours but on the other side, belt drive and quite light makes it ideal for the country a road into central london i use it for on the commute.
There was some recalls issued on the rear bearing iirc, thing to watch for really is when the belt is due, you are looking about 300 done at a reputable indie so price should reflect that. There was an issue with fuel flow causing a cut out on the early models, many owners fitted an inline gizmo to solve
Another consideration with new bikes on pcp(even worse than the never never in my view) is the insurance will sting you a lot more than a good used bike thats yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:50 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to have a look at a local small dealer this afternoon. They had a 2005 V strom 650 that would do the job, high milk but in budget. But, they wanted a £100 non refundable deposit for a test ride. Having only ridden the er6 I want to try a few different bikes but is this a standard practice? Im not going to shell out 5% of a bike purchase price just to whip round the block on it.

The bigger dealer round the corner had a couple of demo bikes but being current models there’s not much point having a go on them either.

Doing my head in a bit, I’m half tempted to buy any old bike with 12 months mot and roll around for a few months.

Scooter is gone now, got £50 more than I paid for it in the end. Happy days.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, £100 for a test ride? Tell them to fuck off.
The racket of making new riders pay to find a bike they like will stop if everyone just accommodates them and accepts they may need an accompanied ride.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:47 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike place I went to was £25 for a test ride, so for what they want to rush you I could have tried 4 bikes. As for non-refundable the £25 (or multiples there of) come off the price if you buy summat.

The RE meteor is just out and I was going to suggest that but doesn’t look like they do a finance option. An interceptor is £800 down and £81 a month with £2k to find at the end.

Just did a quick search on super bike factory and £2-3k gets a v-strom (2007, 13k), nc700, transalp, even a flipping caponord.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I went to have a look at a local small dealer this afternoon. They had a 2005 V strom 650 that would do the job, high milk but in budget. But, they wanted a £100 non refundable deposit for a test ride. Having only ridden the er6 I want to try a few different bikes but is this a standard practice? Im not going to shell out 5% of a bike purchase price just to whip round the block on it.

The bigger dealer round the corner had a couple of demo bikes but being current models there’s not much point having a go on them either.

Doing my head in a bit, I’m half tempted to buy any old bike with 12 months mot and roll around for a few months.

Scooter is gone now, got £50 more than I paid for it in the end. Happy days.

I cant say ive ever been asked to pay for a test ride. In fact at triumph they even gave me a goodybag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2