Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you do full licence on a 125cc?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

maxrpg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:28 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Can you do full licence on a 125cc? Reply with quote

I've done my CBT and been riding my 125 scooter for over a year, I'm happy with it, I don't really want to ride anything faster or more powerful.

I'm in my 40s and really just commute to work and back and have the occasional ride around at weekends.

I'd like to get my full licence just so I don't need to do the CBT every couple of years, be able to remove the L plates and have my partner ride on the back sometimes.

My question is can you choose what you do your full test on or are you required to ride on a geared bike? - and one that is more powerful than a 125 for the test.

Also, as a side question, is the full test any harder than a CBT because reading about it and watching videos online it comes across as basically the same, but with more scrutiny, finger wagging and head shaking on your riding ability.

Thanks

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:49 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Unless you want to be restricted to 125s.

CBT is compulsory basic training. The operative term is basic. What do you think?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can do it on a 125.

But you'll get an A1 licence and be restricted to 125s for ever more. Seems like a waste of time.

Likewise, if you do it on an auto, you only get a licence for an auto.

CBT is training... test is a test.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:07 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said you can take it on a 125 and that's all you can ride. If you take it on an auto your stuck with auto.

You will need to take the theory £23.00

Mod 1 test £15.50

Mod 2 test £75.00

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:56 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I passed 30 years ago.
What's a theory test?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:32 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxrpg wrote:

Also, as a side question, is the full test any harder than a CBT because reading about it and watching videos online it comes across as basically the same, but with more scrutiny, finger wagging and head shaking on your riding ability.

Thanks

Asked any questions on CBT? What to adjust if carrying a passenger? Have any specific fail points on a CBT such as foot down, failing to shoulder check, crossing a solid white line, touching a cone? Have to achieve 50kph before your emergency stop?

For a CBT you are hand-held through all of it and then toddle around for a bit. You would have to chuck it down the road or mow down a bus queue to fail (and yes, I did fail mine!)

Can’t imagine being two up on a 125 either to be honest. Try something bigger, it’s a different world and you might just love it!

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding from my recent CBT that if you did it and let it lapse as you are of a certain age you can still ride scooters as you will now have the AM category. But retain the old CBT cert for proof you did it. This does appears to limit you to 50cc however. I am assuming you already have a full car license.

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/car-driving-licence

I did my CBT on a moped last week. on a 50mph road doing 30 mph with a line of traffic behind and the drive instead of walk for 15m 4x4 school run mums beeping their horns at me the whole way me did give an insight as to why tractor drivers always have a smirk on their face.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:00 - 19 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:

I did my CBT on a moped last week. on a 50mph road doing 30 mph with a line of traffic behind and the drive instead of walk for 15m 4x4 school run mums beeping their horns at me the whole way me did give an insight as to why tractor drivers always have a smirk on their face.

Part of your CBT is ‘observation’. Without referring back, what does it say in Nobby’s sig?

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:10 - 19 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can if you want. I wasn’t happy with my 125 so did my big bike licence, and was much happier on the training school’s bike.

Tbh I’m not sure my scooter would get up to speed for the mod one emergency stop and avoidance, the Er6 I was on needed a bit of a wringing to get up to 30mph, my scooter tops out at 50 downhill with a following wind.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:46 - 19 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a guy that did this but the only reason it was worthwhile for him was he used his scoot to bumble around jersey and france during the summer as his family lived out there. Weirdly jersey, despite having a cbt system too, dont recognise the dvsa cbt certificate, although they use the theory and practical tests (despite not having any motorways) to qualify for harmonisation. So he either had to do another over on the island or get an a1 ticket and be fine in france too. Think he failed the mod1 first time round but the dvsa put videos on youtube now that maybe worth a watch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:
It was my understanding from my recent CBT that if you did it and let it lapse as you are of a certain age you can still ride scooters as you will now have the AM category. But retain the old CBT cert for proof you did it. This does appears to limit you to 50cc however. I am assuming you already have a full car license..

If you passed your car test prior to 2001, you don't even need a CBT for a moped (not scooter, scooters can be bigger than 50cc)

After that date, if you have a.full car licence you only need to take one CBT to get your full AM (moped) licence.

KeithLexmotoU...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:17 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Can you do full licence on a 125cc? Reply with quote

maxrpg wrote:
I've done my CBT and been riding my 125 scooter for over a year, I'm happy with it, I don't really want to ride anything faster or more powerful.

I'm in my 40s and really just commute to work and back and have the occasional ride around at weekends.

I'd like to get my full licence just so I don't need to do the CBT every couple of years, be able to remove the L plates and have my partner ride on the back sometimes.

My question is can you choose what you do your full test on or are you required to ride on a geared bike? - and one that is more powerful than a 125 for the test.

Thanks

I just passed my Mod1 and 2 on a twist and go 125cc for exactly the reasons you mentioned. In fact I would say it is easier to pass on a 125 auto. Yep you are limited to what you can ride but not having to faff with gears on your Mod 1 and hill starts on Mod 2 why wouldnt you?

Plenty of naysayers out there but if A1 licence ticks all your boxes - I would go for it!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you are stuck on a 125.....

Edit: Hill starts? I don't even use the hand brake in the car most of the time.

KeithLexmotoU...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:42 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
But you are stuck on a 125.....

Yep, but not stuck in traffic

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positives of doing the test on your 125 are:
No more CBT ever if you pass.
No more theory test ever if you pass.
No need for hiring big bike for lessons or tests. Saving up to a grand.
If you watch youtube clips you'll pick up a lot of tips and will probably pass. If you fail it's not a lot of money to retake.
You can upgrade your license later on without redoing cbt or theory.
No L plates and pillion carrying as you mention.

Negative as said, is stuck on a feeble 125 which really is a big negative.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:46 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the powers that be don’t really want you to be riding one of those dangerous, kitten killing motorcycles, all that’s going to happen is the test will become (a) more expensive, and (b) more convoluted as time goes on. Get the fullest licence you can now whilst you still have the chance, then ride whatever you like.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:56 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Can you do full licence on a 125cc? Reply with quote

maxrpg wrote:
125 scooter

I don't really want to ride anything faster or more powerfu

I'm in my 40s

Get the full big boys license so you can get something with a bigger engine which you will want to do after you've ridden one and realised that 125's are shit slow and bigger bikes are easier to ride.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all the above really. Doesn't matter what size bike you do in terms of the test requirements; it's all the same. Realistically you'll need training to pass the mod1 and mod2. So you're talking a decent investment, circa £800, assuming you pass first time on each test. So you may as well do it on a bigger bike and have the licence capability should you ever want to graduate to something bigger. Remember bigger bikes aren't just about speed; plenty of non-speedy bikes you can't ride on an A1 licence and if you're talking pillion carrying, while possible on a 125, might want to avoid steep hills.

KeithLexmotoU...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:37 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Since the powers that be don’t really want you to be riding one of those dangerous, kitten killing motorcycles, all that’s going to happen is the test will become (a) more expensive, and (b) more convoluted as time goes on. Get the fullest licence you can now whilst you still have the chance, then ride whatever you like.

Absolutely agree with SDA get the fullest license you can.

At one stage there was a two-month waiting list for CBT's here.

If you wanted to go on further, to do MOD1/2, training schools would only take you on if you had passed your theory test.

Last edited by KeithLexmotoUrban on 12:57 - 23 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithLexmotoUrban wrote:
At one stage there was a two month waiting list for CBT's here and training schools would only take you on if you had your theory test due to the backlog.

I don't understand why though as a theory test is not a pre-requisite to doing CBT? Maybe to get people on DAS quicker after it?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:10 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there is a proposal to reduce the A2 category down to 250cc anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules.

At least a 250 would have some grunt.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Actually there is a proposal to reduce the A2 category down to 250cc anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules.

At least a 250 would have some grunt.

you should post that in news and rumours forum

i'd like to see what everyone thinks of this

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:52 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:

No more theory test ever if you pass..

Not strictly true.

Moving from A1 (125) to an A2 will not require a theory as its classed as progressive access.

Moving from A1 to full A will require a theory test. It's not classed as progressive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus christ what bullsh1t

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck me, they really don't want us on the road do they!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2