Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone been on holiday in Turkey? Any reviews?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Anyone been on holiday in Turkey? Any reviews? Reply with quote

I've been in Turkey but years ago and was work related not in a 'resort'.
I heard it gets good reviews as a resort now-a-days but before o book I wanted some opinions from 'trusted peers'.
Don't ask why I posted this on BCF. All a shower of loonies but they do deliver from time to time on a plethora of queries.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:34 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go to Icmeler every year. Don't expect too much if your booking a cheap package - accommodation will be basic. Having said that the people are friendly food and drink are cheap (with loads of choice). Not the best for kids (f all for them to do)

Take a small amount of Lira with you, to get you started and then change money over there (better rates than here) but take English not Scottish notes. Most retailers, restaurants etc will take E pounds.

What else do you want to know?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZebraDriver wrote:
We go to Icmeler every year. Don't expect too much if your booking a cheap package - accommodation will be basic. Having said that the people are friendly food and drink are cheap (with loads of choice). Not the best for kids (f all for them to do)

Take a small amount of Lira with you, to get you started and then change money over there (better rates than here) but take English not Scottish notes. Most retailers, restaurants etc will take E pounds.

What else do you want to know?

Thanks. Thumbs Up

We don't even bother taking Scottish money down to England. One or two weirdos down there still don't like it up them.

We were looking for something more 'family' sand beach and cetera.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother's got a villa in Gulluk, just north of Bodrum. Nice enough, nice people, decent food, but the town outskirts felt like a building site. Something to do with something about not having to pay rates until the house is finished, so a lot of buildings just seem to have the ground level, maybe a first floor too, but then it looks like the builders have left. If it wasn't partially built new place, it was boarded up old place. Haven't been in a 5-6 years so hopefully it may have changed.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
JackButler This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
You haven't ever travelled much beyond the vague borders of your shitty sink estate have you?

I can tell, as can most of the internets.

I'd stick to SkegVegas if I were as sth'toopid as you. I really can't see your intellect getting much beyond the airport . . . .

Trolling skils 0/10
Personality 0/10
Credibility 0/10
Entertainment value 1/10

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had the inclination to holiday in Turkey. However I have joined and left ship there and had a few days in Istanbul. I can say it's nicer than Cairo. Just.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:05 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

S’ok.

Food is quite meat biased but very good. Beaches are ok (Side area) fuel was expensive, as was car hire. It’s nice along the coast and around the country, heading towards mountains the views are good and the country more wild.

Quite a few historical sites if you like that sort of thing.

If you have a chance visit a Hammam, it’s a great experience.

EDIT: 4 page article in this weeks MCN.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
You haven't ever travelled much beyond the vague borders of your shitty sink estate have you?

I'd stick to SkegVegas if I were as sth'toopid as you. I really can't see your intellect getting much beyond the airport . . . .

Yep as per usual you are fully on point Sir. Thumbs Up

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 20 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode my MZ to Istanbul in '17.

Was great fun.

I bought a carpet from a man who had a wooden ear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:21 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

bet he was sycamore tourists gawping at him

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:54 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

Groan Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - three times to the same Hotel.

Dalaman Airport is a SHITHOLE. Overpriced and filthy but you don't have to spend long there.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sensimar+Marmaris+Imperial/@36.8197572,28.310279,17z/data=!4m16!1m7!3m6!1s0x14bfbdbff1961523:0xdf8e730ed1eeb2be!2sMarmaris,+Mu%C4%9Fla,+Turkey!3b1!8m2!3d36.854936!4d28.270878!3m7!1s0x14bf95efb12b1bbb:0x3c1ac5f0f8bd3f83!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d36.8213345!4d28.3129605

Stayed here. Marmaris a boat ride away and only just in earshot at it's loudest - which is fine for me. I can't think of anything worse than being in Marmaris itself.

You can hire boats from the local Marinas and skoot around the coastal bay area. Hotel itself was fully self contained - we had no problem spending a very pleasant two weeks there.

Food good. Location nice. Restaurants on site are good. No idea about surrounding area.

Sadly under new ownership so not sure if it's as good as it was when TUI owned it ..... but Turkey, yeah. We'd go back.

There are other nice hotels in the area.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Other than the well known fact he works abroad - lay off the weed, it's clearly affecting you. Fear not though, there's a branch of SCOPE somewhere who will want your services.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

What actually draw my attention to it were the scratches in the paint. It was well matched paint, but it was also a bit too shiny.

What's more he kept talking about all the 'lovely white ass' he has every night. No mate. no you don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

foreigners..........
foreigners everwhere....
what happened to the caravan in Filey?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

What actually draw my attention to it were the scratches in the paint. It was well matched paint, but it was also a bit too shiny.

What's more he kept talking about all the 'lovely white ass' he has every night. No mate. no you don't.

Solid wood or ven-ear? I'll bet he just wanted to go against the grain.
Must be annoying having a bark in your ear all day and night. Knot for everyone.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been there yet. Only Istanbul really appeals.

Although ...apparently
... the military type reckons he has a house in somewhere called Datca* which is supposed to be lovely.

... but for some nefarious reason related to Turkish-cultural and British-army machismo he can't go and live in it.

I dunno, might be true, might not.

*I can't do those Turkish Cs on this laptop. Fuckit.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Marmaris, it was ok, food was excellent and the people were friendly, no different to the rest of the Med though, change the language and it could have easily been a Greek island with worse scenery.

Nothing wrong with it, but equally not rushing to go back.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to admit, I do have a bit of Mediterranean scenery ennui myself: another parched and dry Mediterranean landscape with lovely sea views, sunshine, wine and olives Rolling Eyes

Istanbul looks to be more "my sorta thing": intrigue, history, cool markets.

Last edited by hellkat on 21:50 - 25 Jun 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been twice and preferred Croatia by a country mile. Similar prices.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea is cleaner in Croatia and the Krka falls are spectacular.

The locals are delightful

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:23 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been and I'd never even consider going to Turkey. It's a second world Islamic state and therefore the possability the entire country could go full-retard at a moments notice is high. It also has a land border with an active war zone.

You are an infidel with a wallet. They'll be polite for as long as the money and religious tolerance lasts.

It's also too hot. And dry.

Fuck Turkey. You already live in the best country in the world.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Fuck Turkey. You already live in the best country in the world.

He's Scottish, not Welsh, so second best Twisted Evil Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1