BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My kitchen keeps going bang.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he not using one of them glowey near live cable thingies?

There may be a more technical name for the device.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polo wrote:
Is he not using one of them glowey near live cable thingies?

There may be a more technical name for the device.

Fire Hazard?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out to be the wiring for an old water heater had been left in place, and the second electricain (the first one couldn't solve it) isolated it and disconnected it.

No bangs since, anyway
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Turned out to be the wiring for an old water heater had been left in place, and the second electricain (the first one couldn't solve it) isolated it and disconnected it.

So what specifically was causing the wumphing, then? I still can't understand why it didn't at least trip or blow something back in the consumer unit?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to do with us having an old fashioned fuse board thing, with fuse wires, and not a modern circuit board thing, and erm 60 amps or something, so it wasn't enough to trip the fuse, I think he said, or blow the fuse ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Something to do with us having an old fashioned fuse board thing, with fuse wires, and not a modern circuit board thing, and erm 60 amps or something, so it wasn't enough to trip the fuse, I think he said, or blow the fuse ?

A standard wire fuse can handle roughly twice its rated current for half a second - long enough to produce an arc and flash without actually melting. Thumbs Up

TL;DR

Wumph!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:04 - 03 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have that Rayon Woven insulation on your ring main behind Path and Plaster?
Laughing

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 03 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

A standard wire fuse can handle roughly twice its rated current for half a second - long enough to produce an arc and flash without actually melting. Thumbs Up

TL;DR

Wumph!

There it is!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 03 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Do you have that Rayon Woven insulation on your ring main behind Path and Plaster?
Laughing

Nah, it's the crumbly rubber stuff. Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Laughing

Don't be tempted to look for your ring main behind the Path, the Lath however... Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
MCN wrote:
Laughing

Don't be tempted to look for your ring main behind the Path, the Lath however... Laughing

That was my phone's AI, ya bastirt.. Embarassed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:55 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannae be worse than the lead sheathed cable my mate found in his house recently. The lead is the earth.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Cannae be worse than the lead sheathed cable my mate found in his house recently. The lead is the earth.

We had that stuff in my parent's original house along with a lead water incomer. Round pin sockets too.

Fuck I'm old Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

We had that stuff in my parent's original house along with a lead water incomer. Round pin sockets too.

Fuck I'm old Laughing

Round pin are WWI.

There were folk living their best life on the western isles and other remote places in Scotland who had Hee-haw electricity in their houses until well into the 60s. Shocked
Poor bastirts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Islander wrote:

Fuck I'm old Laughing

Round pin are WWI.

There were folk living their best life on the western isles and other remote places in Scotland who had Hee-haw electricity in their houses until well into the 60s. Shocked
Poor bastirts.

The current square pin system (BS1363) was introduced in 1947 - there were still a lot of houses using the round pin system (and radial circuits) in the 1960s so WWii as well Razz I'm not THAT old. Laughing

There were Islands in Orkney that still weren't grid connected when I first visited in the mid 70s. They used diesel generators for the most part and were finally connected in the early 80s. One of the smaller islands is inhabited by an incomer family - they've been there for more than 35 years and are completely off-grid. They've got some wind turbines and solar panels but no grid connection at all. They're happy enough Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:11 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alladin paraffin lamps were the thing.

I remember driving past little villages in west Africa 1995. The daily cycle for those places was Sun Up everyone out the mud hut. (raafia palm plastered with.mud and banana plant and raafia palm roofs)
Sun down. Paraffin lamps for about an hour then paraffin lamps out and sleep/phuque/die of malaria or woteva.
They are more than likely still living that way.

The mine I worked on had power brought in from VRA. Volta River Authority (Big Hydro project on the Volta River. Built to power an alumina smelter. The Cuntry got some of that power too.)

The 'town' the mine was named after got power from the grid 1997. It was diesel generators before then.

The people know no different. A 2 D-Cell torch was a valued possession.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Alladin paraffin lamps were the thing.

I remember driving past little villages in west Africa 1995. The daily cycle for those places was Sun Up everyone out the mud hut. (raafia palm plastered with.mud and banana plant and raafia palm roofs)
Sun down. Paraffin lamps for about an hour then paraffin lamps out and sleep/phuque/die of malaria or woteva.
They are more than likely still living that way.

The mine I worked on had power brought in from VRA. Volta River Authority (Big Hydro project on the Volta River. Built to power an alumina smelter. The Cuntry got some of that power too.)

The 'town' the mine was named after got power from the grid 1997. It was diesel generators before then.

The people know no different. A 2 D-Cell torch was a valued possession.

Hurricane lamps pop up on the local marketplace fairly regularly as do Tilley lamps. Laughing

Having said that, We've got 4 gas cartridge lamps, a stock of gas cartridges and a couple of camping burners in the house. We don't get power cuts that often but they're useful when we do. Oh and a multi fuel stove for heat. Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helped that it was summer, but didn't make a whole lot of difference the power being off. Power banks in the phone, wind up radio dusted off, camping stove out of loft, and bicycle lights strung up with cable ties.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:50 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex council house had electricity put in in 1951. The first houses in the village to get mains electricity. Pretty sure some of the original wiring is still there (red and blue?).

A local farmer remembers having a man come round with a horse and cart delivering charged up accumulators (giant glass capacitors) once a week to run their milking machine.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:01 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Yorkshiremen? Luxury! Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very disappointing end to the mystery. I was hoping a for something more exciting like a robot from the future trying to beam in or at least a common household poltergeist Rolling Eyes

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Very disappointing end to the mystery. I was hoping a for something more exciting like a robot from the future trying to beam in or at least a common household poltergeist Rolling Eyes

tbh, I coud see how some might have thought it was paranormal

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

When stripping the bathroom in our cottage I found this. It was a 30 amp ring driving 4 storage heaters dotted around the place - they simply draped it along the copper pipework to keep it in place.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3