Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reform the BBC ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reform the BBC ? Reply with quote

The Beeb supposedly belongs to us, so if you think it needs to change how would you go about it?

I think I would massively scale back the number of channels it now produces for a start.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back Terry Wogan.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abolish the licence fee and let them compete fairly with everyone else.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Well that would certainly force a few of its channels off the end of the plank.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Well that would certainly force a few of its channels off the end of the plank.

So be it. What is wrong with fair competition, and why do the BBC deserve special consideration? They are actually in a very good position to compete fairly. And anyway, they're hardly doing themselves any favours recently.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

So be it. What is wrong with fair competition, and why do the BBC deserve special consideration? They are actually in a very good position to compete fairly. And anyway, they're hardly doing themselves any favours recently.

The "just throw the beeb into the market" option is a bit of a cop out and I should have anticipated it and made the thread exclude that option. Personally i would scrap the licence fee but for discussions sake lets assume the reforms are to take place within the framework of the current funding method.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In its own words, “The BBC exists to serve the public, and its mission is to inform, educate and entertain.”

Stop competing for sporting rights, the commercial channels will always push the cost to ludicrous levels, impacting other programming. Alternatively the government needs to gift broadcasting rights for national sporting events (Wimbledon, Wembley, The Lords/Edgbaston, The London Olympics…) to the national broadcaster. Stop paying six inarticulate ex-footballers to mutter cliches when two would do.

Focus on what it’s really good at; quality drama, nature programmes and the terrific technical expertise which the BBC can bring. Such programmes can be sold around the world and actually make money.

Drop some of the crap, mostly political “comedies.” Even as a non-Tory I’m bored of anti-Tory diatribes with barely any satire of Labour, the Lib Dems or the woke agenda when they’re all an open goal right now. I’m looking for impartiality generally. I’d like to see interviewers of the calibre of the Dimbleby’s, not Emily Maitlis or Laura Kuenssberg and their preachy, snidey, opinionated “reporting.” Keep Radio 4’s, “From Our Own Correspondent.”

Stop paying newsreaders a fortune to read an autocue aloud. As Jeremy Paxman said, that’s no skill. Likewise the likes of Gary Lineker, Jonathon Ross and radio DJs.

Increase focus on local news, which is another thing the BBC can do well. Cut “local weather.” Maintain a focus on children’s programmes.

All just off the top of my head.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

The "just throw the beeb into the market" option is a bit of a cop out... Personally i would scrap the licence fee

So what's the difference?
And you say "just throw" as if making it commercial were some terrible thing. Where is the cop out exactly? You're going to have to explain that one to me. It seems to be what more and more of the public want. And the BBC does actually make about £1bn in commercial interests a year already. Do you think they'd have trouble attracting investment and advertising revenue? If so, why?

Otherwise, if we are to keep it publicly funded, I think Jimbo has it about right. I really miss good documentaries, balanced discussion, good science programming etc. There was a time when no one could touch them for that sort of thing. But I don't see it happening. I think the culture it has now is just too embedded. If it is to win back its appeal, I think you'd have to start again from the ground up.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bereft of taxpayers cash the BBC would Flounder and Flounce.

They are buoyed up by parliament.

One of the things the taxpayer funds and has absolutely fuck all say in the running of.

That is the major issue with BBC.

At least I can cancel my sky sub.

But cancelling one's licence is only the tip of this iceberg. One's tax cash still filters through to the commie bastirts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Bereft of taxpayers cash the BBC would Flounder

Why?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:35 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:
Bereft of taxpayers cash the BBC would Flounder

Why?

Coz traditionally, tv networks are not remembered for playing fair.
BBC would be swimming with sharks when their free funding is removed.
It would be heavily desiccated in order for anything of It to survive.
It's supposed to provide service to all communities but short of coin all that regional shite would be dropped or significantly curtailed.
The Horns of the Highland Cattle would have to be Drawn in, so to speak.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Drop some of the crap, mostly political “comedies.” Even as a non-Tory I’m bored of anti-Tory diatribes with barely any satire of Labour, the Lib Dems or the woke agenda when they’re all an open goal right now. I’m looking for impartiality generally. I’d like to see interviewers of the calibre of the Dimbleby’s, not Emily Maitlis or Laura Kuenssberg and their preachy, snidey, opinionated “reporting.” Keep Radio 4’s, “From Our Own Correspondent.”

I agree. These so-called political comedies have become tedious because nobody is allowed to have an opinion other than that of the party line', which in the case of the Labour Party is a vaguely left-wing, watered down version of Tony Blair. My view is that all political comedies should have at least one person with different views, preferably someone from a completely different end of the spectrum, just to make it interesting. For example, the last time QT provided any sort of entertainment was when Nick Griffin appeared...

Perhaps reporting should follow suit - two reporters for every situation, from differing spectrums?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we please move on from the reasonable debate and get on with stringing up the BBC Breakfast show presenters from lampposts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Could we please move on from the reasonable debate and get on with stringing up the BBC Breakfast show presenters from lampposts.

Susanna Reid is not with the BBC so my loathing probably won't count.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:19 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC should be either commercial, or government funded. Those are the only two acceptable options. Either its a service to which you are free to subscribe if you wish, or it's free at point of use. The license fee is, in effect, a tax on the ownership of a television and used to bully the elderly and other vulnerable groups.

That moral issue aside, if they ARE going to receive funding with no link to viewer satisfaction, then they very minimum standard they should uphold is "responsible and unbiased" and they are not. I won't head much further down that path except to say that ALL media and journalism in this country needs a severe overhaul.

Beyond that, I'd like to see a cap on salaries. Jonathon Ross is not a talent frankly. Nor are most pundits. Spend the available money in a way that generates quality programming.

Regular scheduled news is a good thing. The same stories and headlines 5 times a day is lazy and unhelpful. BBC radio is especially bad for this.

One thing I think the BBC actually do pretty well is drama series.

Otherwise I have to agree with Chickenstrip about a ground up rebuild to get back to good documentaries, science programs etc.

In its present state, I wouldn't miss it if it floundered to be honest, it is, in general, deeply disappointing.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Coz traditionally, tv networks are not remembered for playing fair.
BBC would be swimming with sharks when their free funding is removed.
It would be heavily desiccated in order for anything of It to survive.
It's supposed to provide service to all communities but short of coin all that regional shite would be dropped or significantly curtailed.
The Horns of the Highland Cattle would have to be Drawn in, so to speak.

I don't think that need be the case. It has everything in place to succeed as far as infrastructure is concerned, whereas GB News had to start from scratch. It is the people at the top that are the problem.
They might have to shrink a bit if they lost public funding, but if they got back to the kind of programming I suggested, I think they would do well. But they need to get the political bias in check, both in their programming and their staff. Quality. That should be their hallmark. They once knew how to do it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether they have the tech and infrastructure is redundant.
They simply do not have the content worthy of a fee for broadcasting it.
Even if they were commercial no one would.pay to watch any of the dross they continue to pump out over 'our' airwaves.

The only thing that keeps them afloat is government funding.

All journalism is lazy. There are a few maverick on all channels who are either hungry enough to win accolades or have the personal integrity to understand what is right from wrong.

Like any company it survives on innovative leadership. Where is that? BBC has historically struggled to get things right. The world famous icon Sir David Attenborough was criticised by a director of BBC early in his career. Was said to be, 'Not the sort of stuff suited to national television.' A woman chief.
The man went on to direct BBC 2 when it kicked off. And everyone knows the rest.
Sensible sensitive man.

I'm not saying there is no talent there.
But pandering to proletariat who are satisfied by drivel programming such as East Enders (London Barrowboy Gossipy Shite that represents not much.) And as i mentioned before, Rylan Piano Wallies. Doesn't hold my interest at all.
I've only watched iplayer documentary over the past few years. Live tv is dead. The BLM wokery their hacks are spouting now was the last straw.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but my point was about what they could be. If they don't change fundamentally, then I agree, they are probably finished.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was made the Director General of the BBC I would just bite the bullet and force the transformation:

1. Scrap the TV license and transition to a subscription model at a lower initial rate to entice subscriptions, i.e. £5.99/ month. For some weird reason the Yanks and Aussies love all the twee and period drama shite that the BBC makes so they'll probably rake in a large number of subscribers.

2. Scrap marginal and/ or unpopular shows and services, unfortunately have to be utilitarian and cut services to only what's popular,

3. Scrap live broadcast channels with the exception of the News and move all shows to an on-demand service only,

4. Turn the BBC into a profitable business, run like a business that want's to make a profit then pay myself massive stacks of cash as a bonus for doing such an amazing job,

5. Retire after 5 years with a gold-plated pension.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think the ending of the licence fee will happen. Too many powerful people with fingers in the trough. It’s a bit like being an mp. Go in with all those idealistic thoughts and then get absorbed by the Borg.

Complete dismantling won’t work. What grows from the ashes will still have the woke and lefty idealists because they don’t have to cater for paying viewers. Only going commercial will put the checks and controls in place because if you don’t attract viewers, you will be out in of a job.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I don’t think the ending of the licence fee will happen. Too many powerful people with fingers in the trough

Doesn't matter in the end. People will stop paying it and seek alternatives. They already are. As the BBC continues to decline, the alternatives look more and more viable. There'll be nothing left to be had from having a finger in that trough, it'll just dry up.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to pay the licence fee as is or via a monthly subscription.
What galls me about other subscription channels is that you pay and you STILL get bleedin' adverts,,

Watching Spiral (French but with input from BBC4 on iplayer recently was worth the licence fee on its own.

Agree with dumping the high-cost sports stuff and Linekar can f*ck off. Bring back Rallycross or some other entertaining but low rent motorsport that isn't F1.

Any political bias washes over me to be honest. I read the Guardian website (to taunt myself) an they bleat on it's too right wing Thinking

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no one's mentioned Channel 4: public service remit but self funded. Plenty of ppl have a moan-up about CH4's lack of impartiality but there's not the same howling derision and calls to shut the whole thing down and take their licence away.

Abolish/scale back the licence fee and go from there. For example: break up the BBC into local and international companies. Leave the licence fee for the local stuff (some remote part of Wales might not have enough money to run a commercial service but there could be argued a "public good" is served to fund it anyway.) But the big stuff - sporting events, big dramas etc. - has to be self funded similar to way CH4 does it.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Surprised no one's mentioned Channel 4: public service remit but self funded. Plenty of ppl have a moan-up about CH4's lack of impartiality but there's not the same howling derision and calls to shut the whole thing down and take their licence away.

Abolish/scale back the licence fee and go from there. For example: break up the BBC into local and international companies. Leave the licence fee for the local stuff (some remote part of Wales might not have enough money to run a commercial service but there could be argued a "public good" is served to fund it anyway.) But the big stuff - sporting events, big dramas etc. - has to be self funded similar to way CH4 does it.

You evidently missed c4 news today. They had Krishnan Guru Phatboi interviewing some minister on the plan by government to set c4 adrift and cut its government support. C4 are of coursed convinced that Boris us behind this in revenge for their cutting edge challenging news houndery going after Bojo and being too pro the EU.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
If I was made the Director General of the BBC I would just bite the bullet and force the transformation:

1. Scrap the TV license and transition to a subscription model at a lower initial rate to entice subscriptions, i.e. £5.99/ month. For some weird reason the Yanks and Aussies love all the twee and period drama shite that the BBC makes so they'll probably rake in a large number of subscribers.

Beeb drama used to be good before they started dumbing it down for yank consumption though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2