Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knowing which bikes are good//bad

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JSing
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:24 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Knowing which bikes are good//bad Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to motorbikes. I've booked my CBT, but am overwhelmed with the choice of gear and bikes to choose from. However, I'm mainly after some advice and discussion on various makes to explore (looking at 125cc btw) and ones to steer clear of. The main ones I've seen are Honda CB, KTM Duke, Lexomoto, and SYM. But given there's so many choices, what would you suggest? Most of my journeys will be short but some will be on A roads given that I live in the midlands in a small city surrounded by much farmland.

(Equally refer me to another forum that address this, don't want to waste your time)

Thanks for you help!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese - bad (mostly)

Japanese - good

KTM - expensive

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF. Smile

You'll doubtless get a whole load of advice. Gear is pretty subjective; if you have the budget, get yourself to a decent shop and try stuff on. Fit is important. Textile trousers and jacket (ideally that zip together), good height boots, gloves and a helmet that fits well (get the shop to guide you) are what you want. £400-500 will get you this at a reasonable standard.

Bikes; essentially boils down to two routes - for a given budget you can either get something newer (or new) and lower quality (Chinese stuff etc.) or an older higher quality bike. The latter will hold the value more but unlikely to have much or any warranty. I'd recommend sticking to the main Japanese brands (Honda CB125F / CBF125 or Yamaha equivalent). You'll probably retain a better residual value too and demand in the used market is pretty solid so you'll move it on easily when you get your big bike licence. I'd avoid KTM personally; I think price is disproportionate to quality.

Are you intending to go for your big bike licence? If so, do you have any idea of when? Depending on age, direct access is a possibility. If you take to it like a duck to water, you can even bypass the 125 stage completely (I did).

Last thing; don't buy anything until after your CBT. Assume you can ride a bicycle (yes, it is a prerequisite for doing your CBT) but even so, not everyone gets on with motorcycles. You'll probably be fine, but best to get that CBT ticket first.

JSing
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:49 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: @ThunderGuts Reply with quote

Thank you for this. That's helpful!

I can ride bicycles no problem, I can actually ride a motorbike but definitely need to do my CBT. I'm 27, have a full drivers licence etc...but am really only wanting to ride a 125cc given that I do not need to exceed 70mph at any given point. I'd much rather have less power and be less tempted to do something stupid. Not that I would but you get me. I've been told that I can do my CBT and then book my bike test without having to do £800 worth of lessons. I think I'd feel confident enough given my 10+ years of driving experience on a road.

Bikes; that's helpful to know. I'll stay clear of KTM then as I've heard they look great but are more expensive than needs be. It does sound like a Honda CB is the best bet. There's a Sharks motors where I live so after my CBT I'll have a gander down there.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: @ThunderGuts Reply with quote

JSing wrote:
I'm 27, have a full drivers licence etc...but am really only wanting to ride a 125cc given that I do not need to exceed 70mph at any given point. I'd much rather have less power and be less tempted to do something stupid. Not that I would but you get me. I've been told that I can do my CBT and then book my bike test without having to do £800 worth of lessons. I think I'd feel confident enough given my 10+ years of driving experience on a road.

Given your age, unless you're solely urban commuting (or bimbling along back lanes) I would be looking for something more powerful than a 125. National speed limit A roads, unless flat and with no wind or a tailwind, you're going to be keeping up with traffic at best. Throw in uphills and/or a headwind and cars will be gaining on you. Dual carriageways you'll be overtaken by most vehicles unless you're on long, flat (or downhill) sections with a tailwind. Most 125s will scrape 65, some 70, but the rate of acceleration past 50mph slows massively.

So, it's worth at least considering going for your full licence. Brings me onto the next point; I wasn't that dissimilar - in my case a few more years experience, but in no way was I ready to take my bike tests "cold". There's much more to it than just riding a bike and you can't really learn it without doing it. Add in the fact waiting lists for tests are significant, so you want to pass when your turn comes.

Do your CBT, see how you get on and discuss next steps with the school you're signed up to. If they suggest £800 of lessons/test fees, that's not a rip off, that's about right. A day to get familiar with riding a big bike on the roads, a day of mod 1 training (it's seriously pedantic stuff) and a day of mod 2 training. Then test time.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: @ThunderGuts Reply with quote

JSing wrote:
I've been told that I can do my CBT and then book my bike test without having to do £800 worth of lessons. I think I'd feel confident enough given my 10+ years of driving experience on a road.

Sorry to be the one who bursts your bubble but you're quite likely to fail your MOD 1 and/ or MOD 2 if you're just relying on your "10+ years of driving (car) experience".

I've driven a car for 10+ years and passed my full UK manual car license first time, took a DAS course after CBT and still failed my MOD 1.

So what's your plan? Get the CBT and constantly renew it every 2 years since you don't need the full license if you're only ever going to ride a 125cc (if you're happy forever using L plates, no motorways and no pillions).

JSing
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:02 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, will keep that in mind. Thank you.

Last edited by JSing on 17:42 - 23 Jun 2021; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:06 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I had a 3 day course when doing my test 30 years ago because I knew I had bad habits that would result in me failing because, despite car license, I had only done CBT on a bike and needed to get used to life savers, road position etc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:08 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be impressive if you can pass the tests without any training or road experience on a motorbike other than your CBT.

I presume you're looking at getting an A1 license which can only be used for riding a 125?

JSing
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:44 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your advice. In resonse to varying messages, I'm hearing that paying for those lessons after the CBT will be important to pass the MOD1/2 (which I've only just learnt about ^^). I'm only looking at using a 125cc, so I think if that's what an A1 licence lets me do then yes. Like I say, Mod 1/2 and types of licence are all new to me so just learning as I go along. Appreciate the support.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSing wrote:
Thank you everyone for your advice. In resonse to varying messages, I'm hearing that paying for those lessons after the CBT will be important to pass the MOD1/2 (which I've only just learnt about ^^). I'm only looking at using a 125cc, so I think if that's what an A1 licence lets me do then yes. Like I say, Mod 1/2 and types of licence are all new to me so just learning as I go along. Appreciate the support.

If you're literally only ever going to ride a 125cc motorbike and you're happy not using motorways, not carrying a pillion passenger and always have L plates on your bike then you do not have to do MOD 1/2 to get an A1 license. You can keep doing a CBT every two years and never sit a test.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

F.A.S. may think that re-doing CBT every 2 years is a good idea, however, getting an A1 licence (after CBT and doing some practice) will cost less than next CBT. Theory plus tests would be about 120. You would also be a better risk in an insurers eyes and that could also save you money.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
F.A.S. may think that re-doing CBT every 2 years is a good idea, however, getting an A1 licence (after CBT and doing some practice) will cost less than next CBT. Theory plus tests would be about 120. You would also be a better risk in an insurers eyes and that could also save you money.

You're right, but the guy doesn't want to do lessons, hire a bike and all that stuff. I don't think constantly doing CBTs is a good idea, but I know people do it. When I did my CBT two of them were delivery drivers and only wanted a CBT to keep riding their cheap scooters.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSing wrote:
I'm only looking at using a 125cc.

Spend some time on one before you make your mind up. At 70mph a 125 becomes pretty miserable since the bike will be at full throttle, vibrating like fuck and any kind kind of slight slope will make you slow down. I dont ride fast at all, but even at 60mph my 650 is much more enjoyable than a 125. Even consider something like a 250 or 400, which wont have enough power to get you into trouble too quickly, but has just enough to be practical when you do need it.

Riding a 125 for a year or two is a good way to learn though. I'd recommend getting a second hand Japanese bike.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

F.A.S. Why lessons for a 125 a1 licence? Mod 1 is practicable in a car park with cones. Mod 2 is just like a car test... OP says he has road sense. Hence, theory then mod 1 and 2: Cheaper than renewing 1 CBT.

Also OP, cb125f and ktm duke 125 currently cost the same... shop around.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
JSing wrote:
I'm only looking at using a 125cc.
Spend some time on one before you make your mind up. At 70mph a 125 becomes pretty miserable since the bike will be at full throttle, vibrating like fuck and any kind kind of slight slope will make you slow down.

Agreed, a newbie will often think a bike which will reach 70 is all they'll ever need, but there's so much more to it than that. Eg, my son's currently learning on a 125 and we've been out for a few rideouts together this summer, him up front setting the pace... it doesn't go too badly until we come up against traffic and then he's screwed. So we've regularly ended up in convoys behind trucks etc at 40mph or so simply because his bike has absolutely zero acceleration at that speed, and he basically cannot overtake anything.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 250 cruises comfortably at 70, though tops out not much above. 65 is better. My 125 would sit at 60 but really needed full throttle and any sort of long or steep hill or headwind scuppered that.

The 250 isn't much faster but the extra torque makes life so much easier come hills, overtakes, etc. In fact I'll happily take the 250 anywhere I'd take a bigger bike and overtakes aren't much less frequent. 125 touring was fun, but much more of an adventure and much more frustrating come any reasonably sized road.

Top speed isn't the issue on a 125, it's maintaining that in the real world. Great around down and on narrow nadgery roads but it's harder work elsewhere.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:03 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My125 showed 90 flat out but that was in the nineties and was a derestricted 2t and not a modern 4t pos.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Knowing which bikes are good//bad Reply with quote

JSing wrote:
The main ones I've seen are Honda CB, KTM Duke, Lexomoto, and SYM.

Most people here, including me, will say Japanese 125s are by far the safest bet. Kawasaki have never really bothered that much with 125s so that leaves Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki probably in that order. The generally preferred Honda is the CG - hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, have been manufactured and there are trillions of spares for them - both new and used. The only slight downside with this bike is that it only has a centre stand, and no side stand. Wouldn't really both me, although it does limit the places you can park it because it will need to be on level ground ideally. Plus if you are unbelievably weak and feeble, it might be difficult to get it onto the centre stand.

The Yamaha is nowadays the YBR - but look back down the years and you'll find other 125s including e.g. the TW125, the SR125, and the YB125, etc. Probably the same engine in all those.

The Suzuki is most likely the some sort of derivative of the GN125, including e.g. the VanVan, the GS125 or perhaps even the Marauder. Again, it's the same engine in each.

All of those are four stroke 125cc engines - all of them. The materials are of good quality, and with decent basic care and maintenance, plus regular servicing, all of the above bikes will last well and be good for tens of thousands of miles. Expect to pay in the region of £1500 for used bikes with 10k plus miles on them. Don't buy scruffy, rusty bikes.

As for gear, a basic, affordable and relatively strong helmet is the Box BX-1. It is £50-ish. Don't buy a used one.

Gloves - for summer, pretty much anything leather. Budget in £30-£50 region.

Boots - ideally you want something covering calf and shin, imo. Something like these (£30):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303731473255?hash=item46b7ce7b67%3Ag%3Ake8AAOSw7K9fi6Og&LH_ItemCondition=3

Jacket - this:

perfectly viable jacket for £40

trousers -

something like these

total budget = £1500 bike, w/ £150 to £200 for helmet, gloves, jacket and trousers

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
F.A.S. Why lessons for a 125 a1 licence? Mod 1 is practicable in a car park with cones. Mod 2 is just like a car test... OP says he has road sense. Hence, theory then mod 1 and 2: Cheaper than renewing 1 CBT.

Alright mate, good luck to him going into a MOD 2 having only his car experience and some YouTube videos or something Rolling Eyes

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

Alright mate, good luck to him going into a MOD 2 having only his car experience and some YouTube videos or something Rolling Eyes

If he is just doing it on a 125 for a A1 then I dont see why not, that's what everyone did before they changed the rules not too long ago. I was going to do it that way when I was 18, but I couldn't get hold of the money and then the law changed Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:41 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people have, only retards fail bike tests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Many people have, only retards fail bike tests.

Cool I am a proud retard

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the budget?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's gone - weeks ago

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2