Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

unusual bikes youve encountered

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: unusual bikes youve encountered Reply with quote

out driving today i got behind a bike called a Victory. only saw it from behind. it was white, looked new and had built in panniers and top box like a Goldwing does. i thought the styling looked like a futuristic vehicle from a 50's scifi film. it had an exhaust each side that had a series of holes in the end, resembling a gattling gun, which i found childishly amusing.
the rear passenger had matching white leathers complete with a Victory logo which looked similar to Aston/Bentley wings. an expensive set up i imagine.
it sounded like a Harley and made a shockingly loud clunk going from neutral to first Shocked
couldnt take any pics as i was driving.

has anyone else come across any unusual bikes on their travels?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s25.postimg.cc/4s7menc73/IMG_2151.jpg

Rrough Superior spotted at Duxford three years ago, though I wasn’t able to find any information on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Rrough Superior spotted at Duxford three years ago, though I wasn’t able to find any information on it.

beautiful Thumbs Up
id want an armed guard with me if i were out on that though!

although i think the owner should be taken to one side and beaten for putting disc brakes on it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago but...

https://quasarworld.co.uk/quasars/rws_881s/q2calneshow2010.jpg

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, a long time ago but I saw one of these at a bike meet:

https://images.1000ps.net/b-f_W3006562-van-veen-ocr-1000-wankelmotorrad-637193478024066588.jpg

And slightly less rare - a friend of mine had one of these:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/Suzuki_RE5_M2.JPG/1200px-Suzuki_RE5_M2.JPG

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
https://s25.postimg.cc/4s7menc73/IMG_2151.jpg

I saw a Brough at Squires the other year - 2-3 years ago. Never seen one before or since. Nobody gave a shit. I'm pretty sure 95% of people had no idea what the fuck it was. Very odd

I saw a Carver One on the A6108 between Masham and Ripon last week - that was an odd sight.

I also saw a Triumph X75 Hurricane at Fimber the other day - they aren't that rare, I suppose. But pretty few and far between. US market only iirc.

There was a nice Guzzi T3 at Manor Cafe Leyburn last week - not an unusual bike at all, but don't see that many. Then again, there was one behind me on the Buttercrambe road this morning - a black one this time. So maybe they're more common than I remember.

One bike I did see last month was a really nice black and gold Ducati Darmah - quite exotic.

Something I;ve never seen before, last week at Fimber - a 4t MZ RT 125 on an '02 plate.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:17 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a totally stock-standard XS650 with the factory airbox and both mudguards...

Nah, I didn't. No such thing exists.

I did see this testament to early 90's tomfoolery the other day though... Think it's out to 810cc too.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:52 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much unusual bikes, by no means common, but seeing a pair of Vincents fully laden and out touring was something you don't see every day.

As for something a little more off the wall, it always brought a smile when my uncle rode home from the pub on his Norman Motobyk, a 1940's autocycle.
He was an interesting chap who would best be slotted in the 'mad scientist' category, liked his powered means of getting back from the pub but you couldn't get him on a 'proper' motorbike for love nor money and he wasn't too happy when I settled on bikes as my main form of transport. Only too understandable when you consider that he saw a chap on a Triumph, in the 60's, come off the slip road of a motorway, head down the embankment and into a neighbouring field...seeing the chap's head separate from his body when he went though the single strand fence was apparently a bit off putting!!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:59 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how this thread has popped up.
I was out and about yesterday evening, I spoke to an old boy out on an old BSA Bantam postie bike still in it’s original Post Office colours.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DN-01.

https://cdn.visordown.com/styles/v2_mid/s3/1130.jpg?itok=oYAzl2cB

I saw one in a Honda dealership back when they were new. I've never seen one on the road that I can remember.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
A DN-01.

I saw one in a Honda dealership back when they were new. I've never seen one on the road that I can remember.

I had one of those on loan for a while. It was a blast to ride, but you really felt the breeze on it due to the riding position and total lack of wind protection. After about 20 minutes at any speed you'd be really fatigued. Certainly drew attention, even when it was parked up.

I handed it back with the bottom of the footrests scraped to shit cos it was so easy to drag them, even on the street.

Fun fact: its unofficial name was the Do Not Order 1.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
A DN-01.

I had one of those on loan for a while. It was a blast to ride, but you really felt the breeze on it due to the riding position and total lack of wind protection. After about 20 minutes at any speed you'd be really fatigued. Certainly drew attention, even when it was parked up.

i had to google it. according to wiki...
weight 270kg
0-60 7.4 seconds
top speed 113 mph

its a 2 wheeled car Shocked

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little cafe near me that on Sundays always has a good selection of bikes from all eras and some pretty unusual stuff is often there, although not many as unusual as this....

https://i.ibb.co/vPmgSXM/e8550af4a23bb723760081aac92f9d88.jpg

... Healey 1000/4, basically a Squariel motor in a bespoke frame and they made less than 30 - I think the only other one I've ever seen was in a museum.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this awful thing in Brighton about 8 years ago.
https://i.postimg.cc/25dgjXrq/IMG-20130527-00248.jpg

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

its a 2 wheeled car Shocked

No, it's more like a Harley scooter (but with a cvt).

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:32 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

beautiful Thumbs Up
id want an armed guard with me if i were out on that though!

although i think the owner should be taken to one side and beaten for putting disc brakes on it.

But that's the thing it's not a Brough ... it's a Rrough.
FWIW it's a pre-unit Triumph slickshift gearbox and 750 sidevalve JAP Vee twin - could well be a pre-unit Triumph frame

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:46 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I handed it back with the bottom of the footrests scraped to shit cos it was so easy to drag them, even on the street.

Fun fact: its unofficial name was the Do Not Order 1.

I've been riding one for the last five years or so. Mine has the aftermarket Givi screen which is way better than the stock one. I've done 500 miles in a day on mine with no problem, which I couldn't do on anything more sporting as the upright riding position is what works for my ropey back. Someone said the top speed was 113mph... well, I'll have to take their word on that because I've never been past 85 on mine; never wanted or needed more.

The HFT transmission is brilliant, it's comfortable, servicing is relatively straightforward and it's as good touring as it is in traffic. I like the unusual so - unsurprisingly - I think it looks great. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I can't think of anything I'd replace mine with... haters gonna hate but I'm old enough to not to lose sleep over stuff like that Thumbs Up

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I saw this awful thing in Brighton about 8 years ago.

that is truely hideous Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:25 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here's a couple for you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

or how 'bout something unique? (very old digital pictures, before removable memory cards were a thing)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tier above "rat bike" being "no fucks given" Thinking

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: unusual bikes youve encountered Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
out driving today i got behind a bike called a Victory. only saw it from behind. it was white, looked new and had built in panniers and top box like a Goldwing does. i thought the styling looked like a futuristic vehicle from a 50's scifi film. it had an exhaust each side that had a series of holes in the end, resembling a gattling gun, which i found childishly amusing.
the rear passenger had matching white leathers complete with a Victory logo which looked similar to Aston/Bentley wings. an expensive set up i imagine.
it sounded like a Harley and made a shockingly loud clunk going from neutral to first Shocked
couldnt take any pics as i was driving.

has anyone else come across any unusual bikes on their travels?

There's a guy/girl that parks a Victory motorcycle on the pavement outside of the Kandy Skulls Ink tattoo place in Rutherglen:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8269001,-4.2103392,3a,75y,19.47h,77.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj38dcIXbiwsbCLVr9EYblw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I think it's pretty mid looking, I will try to take a pic of it next time I pass it. It's got a weird pointy sissy bar.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
or how 'bout something unique? (very old digital pictures, before removable memory cards were a thing)

Cool stuff. Ridden by some proper, old school, hairy-arsed bikers I trust.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:18 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Cool stuff. Ridden by some proper, old school, hairy-arsed bikers I trust.

I didn't meet the riders but the bikes certainly looked like something of a handful.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was behind a BT1100 the other week. Don't see many of those around. There was one of those leaning affairs, I think they're called Carvers, parked up at the Ponderosa last week.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2