Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speed and Rider Posture

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:08 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Speed and Rider Posture Reply with quote

So.. Riding at 70mph Shhh! on the motorway on a cruiser is very tiring (being dragged off the handlebars). So you guys riding sports bikes with a more leaning forward posture and lower head, do you not get so much drag, or do you not notice it?

Also can you hold on in the top four gears at full throttle? I can do the top three, but fear the wheel will lift in second. (Might try it when I have successfully re-glued the handle grip on properly.) Early days yet Cool Maybe my desk job has turned my forearm muscles into mear weeds, or I'm just an old week git.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:28 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your hanging on should be your inner thigh against the tank, handlebars are for manipulating controls, not holding onto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:36 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why cruisers are pointless.

Sportsbikes keep the weight off of your wrists at speed and become uncomfortable at lower speeds. Holding on is not an issue unless you've got a H2 or something.

Sports tourers and adventure bikes balance the two.

Dynamically cruisers are terrible. The geometry is not good for handling, the riding position is there for the pose and not comfort. They are the worst of all worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:50 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
Most of your hanging on should be your inner thigh against the tank, handlebars are for manipulating controls, not holding onto

Ok, I'll bare that in mind, and give it a go. I take it, that's what the mat type grips (that can be bought) are for on the side of the tank?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
TaffyTDM wrote:

Ok, I'll bare that in mind, and give it a go. I take it, that's what the mat type grips (that can be bought) are for on the side of the tank?

Tank grips are for hanging off during cornering, and stopping you sliding forward under braking.

They will make precisely fuck all difference sat on a motorway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I like the neutral position of my XSR. Sit upright at slow speeds, duck in a bit at high speeds. A small windscreen and a decent helmet also help.

But yes, going down to Cornwall on the Rebel pretty much sealed its fate Sad

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Speed and Rider Posture Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
or do you not notice it?

At 70? Barely noticeable on the ST. Some wind noise is all I really notice. Pillion gets a bit of a blast, though. Or so I'm told.

When I really get my head down, I start to wish my helmet had a sunroof so I could see where I'm going Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:20 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportsbikes have fairings. Most of the drag happens to that not the rider.

Naked muscle bike riders are held firmly in place by their crushing lack of self confidence.

Even a relatively small fly screen on your magna will make an enormous difference to the amount of drag you experience.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:54 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 193BHP sportsbike, pinned you need handle bars.
In the cruise it's just pegs, arse and knees.
But there may be some neck strain over long distances.
And then the slow speed wrist pain. (Until you hone your body for that position.)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth pointing out that MotoGP riders are not just mentally tip-top they're also in the peak of physical fitness.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be comfortable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTkr1BMm0sg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Worth pointing out that MotoGP riders are not just mentally tip-top they're also in the peak of physical fitness.

also worth pointing out McPint

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
....But yes, going down to Cornwall on the Rebel pretty much sealed its fate Sad

Would you be kind enough to expand on this?

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:04 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
....Even a relatively small fly screen on your magna will make an enormous difference to the amount of drag you experience.

Yeah, I agree, it certaily did on my last bike, but I wasn't allowed on motorways then, and neither did it go as fast, plus I already have one on order.

Don't know why people say cruisers aren't comfy, it's one of the main reasons I have one. It's gotta be a more natural sitting position than being screwed up double over a fuel tank, on the off chance they can have a five second blast... anyway everyone to their own, and thanks for the feedback peeps Thumbs Up

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:29 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go slower.

I have a cruiser. I like cruisers. Despite that, everything said my marge and stinkwheel in this thread is accurate. They are uncomfortable at speed, and dangerously so at high speed.

This is part of the reason why I like an open face helmet. It makes things feel faster. 60 in an open face helmet on a cruiser feels like 160 on a sports bike. This is why I still have a licence.

For long motorway journeys I take the car.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
....But yes, going down to Cornwall on the Rebel pretty much sealed its fate Sad

Would you be kind enough to expand on this?

First up it was only an A2 bike. Adequate for NSL & motorways but it didn't have much oomph over 70; as in teleport out of trouble. Aye, you're more concerned with comfort but riding something with loads of power left over does give some peace of mind.

Anyhoo, I did have a rather large dark tinted windscreen on the Rebel which did lend it the air of a blacked out ex-cop bike ridden by a nihilistic munchkin but I digress... suffice to say it did a fantastic job of blocking out the wind. Even so the one-position ergonomics were the main problem. Maybe 30% of that could be alleviated with a better quality seat but in the end you've just got one position - you're in the armchair for the next 100 miles and that's it Neutral

But as Robby suggests: a cruiser is for cruising... the Rebel was a much better proposition in urban/city environments.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:21 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

Don't know why people say cruisers aren't comfy, it's one of the main reasons I have one. It's gotta be a more natural sitting position than being screwed up double over a fuel tank, on the off chance they can have a five second blast... anyway everyone to their own, and thanks for the feedback peeps Thumbs Up

Depends on how and where you chose to ride. I was out at the weekend and spent four hours spanking the tits off my VFR750 on twisty and mostly empty A and B roads. Then two hours of motorway which would have sucked a lot more without a full fairing.

My arse was sore enough as it was, it would have been worse on a cruiser with all my weight on it.

Anyway, neither is the ideal sitting position. Closest you'll get to that are old brit road bikes. Back straight, forearms paralell to the ground with hands shoulder width apart, thighs sloping slightly down, heels under hips roughtly shoulder width apart. A very slightly forwards sloping seat makes it more natural to load the pegs slightly to ease passage over bumps.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:57 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

least comfy bike i ever owned was a w650 - and i'm not alone...i know several owners who found them stupidly uncomfy (considering how sensible the ergos seem)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foot forward pegs on a cruiser do not make sense. How long can you sit on your sofa feet out in front of you before you move position?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
The foot forward pegs on a cruiser do not make sense. How long can you sit on your sofa feet out in front of you before you move position?

Do I have a telly and someone to bring me drinks and snacks in this scenario?
Actually, forget the tv.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1