Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is this the sign of things to come?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:31 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Is this the sign of things to come? Reply with quote

In Wales they have spent 7 years improving a so called black spot with a dual carriageway and have announced that for safety and environmental reasons the speed limit on it will be 50mph, the same speed limit that was on the road before they spent £336 million and seven years working on it.

Is this just Wales being Wales or do you reckon we are going to see 50mph limits brought in more and more on any roads other than motorways in the name of greenness and the nice little side effect of increased fines from strategically place 'safety' Rolling Eyes cameras.

The A421 near me which is a popular biker road has certainly gained a few stretches of 50mph to the west of Milton Keynes where it is single carriageway even though it is a wide fast road.

Well they are going to need to get revenue from somewhere when the petrol and Diesel cash cow dries up!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57615167

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're putting a 50mph limit on the A4032 as well going into Cardiff (will be average speed cameras going in too).

They've already put in 50mph around Newport on the M4 "because pollution" ... NOTHING to do with the fact that when they put up speed cameras in that area they started raking it in so decided the whole stretch could do with average speed cameras.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly feel like this has been underway for several decades

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happening more and more in Northamptonshire. From what I understand though roads that are 60mph have to be maintained to a higher standard than those at 50mph, so rather than maintain the roads they dropped the limit. Could be bollox, but makes sense with the shite council and the fact they've turned off the speed cameras.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

They've already put in 50mph around Newport on the M4 "because pollution"

Always wondered if that spike there was DPF's getting up to temp on cars coming from Cardiff or Bristol and then the traffic that was always there meaning they dwelled longer than expected in the area as the DPF did it's cleaning thing. Based on the totally unscientific 1 time I was driving home from Cardiff and when in traffic noticed the car was doing the DPF thing just before the tunnels.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:58 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A band new purposely built dual carriage way was built on the outskirts of Bath about 20 years ago to replace a single lane NSL road and the speed limit promptly dropped to 50 and cameras were put on it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just the speed limit, then it's done for safety reasons. If they put up speed cameras, it's done for income.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:58 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
If it's just the speed limit, then it's done for safety reasons. If they put up speed cameras, it's done for income.

I don’t think it is. Around here we see a lot of prospective counsellors and local politicians using the “Think of the children” 20mph limits to get themselves elected. My pet theory is that these idiots go around neighbourhoods canvassing, because they don’t have a proper job this typically happens in the 9 to 5 slot, traditionally when working folk are…err, at work. As a result they get the stay at home Mums (or Dads!) who are worried about little Johnny getting run over, or retired types who do 18mph supermarket runs and and are terrified of “those boy racers tearing around!” Result - jump on the drop speed limit bandwagon.

Another local example is one of the accident black spot roads in Shropshire, recently speed limit reduced. The road is ‘dangerous’ because of a recent fatality, so as usual the answer is to go slower. But the fatality was a bloke walking on the wrong side of the road with no illumination and no reflective gear who got hit by a coach. I reckon if you get hit at 50 or at 60 either way you are cashing in your chips.

Everyone wants no traffic where they live and low speed limits but want to be able to have a hoon where they fancy it. More now than ever you are getting groups of local councils banding together to get average speed cameras over longer and longer sections of NSL A roads.

It’s all a bit depressing.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

what if they do it but don't put up cameras, and instead just have guys on minimum wage in vans, while all the footage is auto-generated, ANPR stuff?

that's what the drones i mean people in the vans get on humberside - minimum wage, certainly not a lot more

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've had the M1 past Meadowhall (Sheffield) at a 60mph limit for quite a while now due to 'reducing pollution', though I suspect all the traffic slowing down for the 3 sets of cameras then speeding up again immediately afterwards is going to increase pollution than if they were left to continue on their way at normal motorway speeds.

I think the pollution excuse is bollocks anyway, the less time you spend in the 'zone' and on the road, the less pollution you are creating... obvs! Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:08 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have clearly never visited the county of Derbyshire at any point in the last 20 years?

I'm increasingly seeing random 50 or even 40 limits on minor rural roads which seem to be entirely to deal with crap drivers who are incapable of deciding what speed is appropriate on an unrestricted highway. A task that was formerly left up to the driver themself. Even the dumbest ones usually realise that by the second or third time they find their car upside down in a ditch, they are probably doing something wrong. If they don't, the insurance premiums stop them driving altogether.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:12 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think blanket 50 mph limits everywhere are bad, come to London where almost everywhere has moved to blanket 20 mph zones! It's seriously depressing.

So, in fact don't come to London, it's shit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

They've already put in 50mph around Newport on the M4 "because pollution"

Always wondered if that spike there was DPF's getting up to temp on cars coming from Cardiff or Bristol and then the traffic that was always there meaning they dwelled longer than expected in the area as the DPF did it's cleaning thing. Based on the totally unscientific 1 time I was driving home from Cardiff and when in traffic noticed the car was doing the DPF thing just before the tunnels.

How do you tell the DPF is cleaning. I've had my Jag 2+ years now and I'm buggered if I've ever seen it do anything different.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

How do you tell the DPF is cleaning. I've had my Jag 2+ years now and I'm buggered if I've ever seen it do anything different.

When moving at speed you can't really but when forced to go really slow or stop for traffic the RPM's sit higher than they should and the temp gauge goes higher than normal. That's what a mechanic mate told me the first time it happened and I phoned him because I thought I'd ruined another car Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

On my Jaguar XF 3.0D you could smell and hear the DPF cycling. It would smell like burning and you'd hear a metallic tinkling sound.

I will never, ever own a diesel car again they are a fucking nightmare. My diesel Renault Laguna ingested itself after a seal on the turbo went and oil could go unregulated into the engine causing a runaway failure. Then my diesel Jaguar XF constantly had EGR problems even after replacing both EGRs. DPF is finicky as fuck throwing up errors if you don't do long motorway miles all the damn time too.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. DPFs are just problems waiting to happen unless you're doing motorways almost all the time. Funny thing is my car won't do a DPF regen unless it's over 2000rpm, and in 6th gear that puts me past 80mph. Of course there's no way of telling if a regen is needed or when one is happening so you can kick it down to 5th. Even using OBD tools doesn't show because it's not presented via the interface.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Is this the sign of things to come? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
In Wales they have spent 7 years improving a so called black spot with a dual carriageway and have announced that for safety and environmental reasons the speed limit on it will be 50mph, the same speed limit that was on the road before they spent £336 million and seven years working on it.

Is this just Wales being Wales or do you reckon we are going to see 50mph limits brought in more and more on any roads other than motorways in the name of greenness and the nice little side effect of increased fines from strategically place 'safety' Rolling Eyes cameras.

The A421 near me which is a popular biker road has certainly gained a few stretches of 50mph to the west of Milton Keynes where it is single carriageway even though it is a wide fast road.

Well they are going to need to get revenue from somewhere when the petrol and Diesel cash cow dries up!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57615167

The Scottish Nose Pickers SNP have a massive boner for dropping NSL on rural A roads. And their ghey SPECS Scameras on the good bike roads.

50s are popping up everywhere.

The economy argument is Bollocks.

My 5 series canny run in 6th under 60MPH.
So I'm stuck in 5th or 4th. Bastirts.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internal combustion is on its way out unfortunately. Sad to see and sorry to see the choice whether to enjoy a bit of fun on the road is taken away from you. You could argue that you could 'take it to the track'

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in a democracy so I presume that ever lower speed limits and various other traffic control and enforcement methods are what the majority want, and if not, I presume there is a mechanism in place by which they can be challenged and halted or reversed.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
We live in a democracy so I presume that ever lower speed limits and various other traffic control and enforcement methods are what the majority want, and if not, I presume there is a mechanism in place by which they can be challenged and halted or reversed.

If enough of us do 90 70 in a 50 they’ll have to change the rule. You first. Wink

It used to be the case that you’d know the speed limit just by looking at the road but now, as said, an A-road can have an inexplicable 50 limit, a residential street a 20…. Miss a sign and you’re done for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:18 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do a Speed Awareness Course because I was caught speeding on my Harley Davidson*

*I was clocked doing 36mph in a 30.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

If enough of us do 90 70 in a 50 they’ll have to change the rule. You first. Wink

I've been breaking speed limits for 30 years mate, your turn Wink
But that's your idea, not mine.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I've been breaking speed limits for 30 years mate, your turn Wink

Me too, in fact it’s the dawdlers and the inattentive who are the most dangerous. Sure, speed will make an accident more serious, but you’d have to have one first, and if speed didn’t have advantages you’d walk everywhere in supposed safety.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:27 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
I have to do a Speed Awareness Course because I was caught speeding on my Harley Davidson*

*I was clocked doing 36mph in a 30.

The 3 points will make no difference to your insurance, the fine is less than the cost of the course and you wasted a day.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know what councils are introducing the most stringent measures, and also spending the most of tax payer's money on all these speed control schemes. Is it across the board, no matter who your council is?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3