Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But that's your idea, not mine.

I assumed you were referring to the old idea that speed limits were based upon the speed at which a significant percentage of drivers considered acceptable. Maybe that’s still true and the population has been beaten into slow submission by fearmongering and virtue signalling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
But that's your idea, not mine.

I assumed you were referring to the old idea that speed limits were based upon the speed at which a significant percentage of drivers considered acceptable. Maybe that’s still true and the population has been beaten into slow submission by fearmongering and virtue signalling.

I was thinking more along the lines of no matter who you vote for, there are certain policies you end up having to put up with that weren't priorities in your voting choice, and some of them seem to be adopted by all parties. So if everybody voted on the basis of other issues that they saw as more important, how do the majority control the smaller stuff that although maybe not as great considerations, when you add up a tendency of the over-protection of the nanny state, can still make huge differences to the quality of people's lives.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:04 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric cars: 0-60 in like 4 seconds or even less and a huge top speed

Motorways: 50 mph please

Me: There is no sense in this world anymore

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't far from me and I've had lots of people mention it the last few days, people are really pissed off Laughing I thought they might put a 50 in because it's quite a steep bit of road if it's anything like the old one. The environmental thing is just bullshit and Labour has been doing a good job of fucking up our infrastructure in the name of being environmentally friendly the last few years.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:48 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:

With electric cars, higher speed means significantly lower range/higher energy consumption. So travelling at 50 does use a lot less energy that travelling at 70.

Still a shit idea though. It's boring going slow, people get bored and distracted. May make more sense as vehicle autonomy improves, I wouldn't mind doing 50 if the car was doing the driving for me.

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response to OP - YES

The national speed limit down country A roads is being reduced to 50MPH on the sly, sometimes 40mph in places. They dont have to annoucne it or get backlash, just put up new signs - easy.

Me tootling around on a 2 stroke, it's welcome news, but for others they feel it maybe too much.

having said that, most of these roads, if you did come off at those speeds its questionable how survivable it is.

So, look for cheap track days, is my advice or go upright with a naked.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:17 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how many of these 50 limits and particularly blanket 20 zones have actual legal traffic orders in place. I though there were fairly strict rules for where you can impose a blanket 20 zone, there needs to be a valid reason for doing it.

I heard of one case where they put in a 50 limit with speed cameras, then had to take them down again because someone challenged a FPN on the basis there was no traffic order in place. The council couldn't produce one in court and the magistrate ruled no case to answer.

If I get done in one of these zones, I will most certainly be checking before accepting any sort of penalty.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no end to risk reduction until everyone is safely locked up in their own homes. Oh, wait... Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:15 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
They've had the M1 past Meadowhall (Sheffield) at a 60mph limit for quite a while now due to 'reducing pollution', though I suspect all the traffic slowing down for the 3 sets of cameras then speeding up again immediately afterwards is going to increase pollution than if they were left to continue on their way at normal motorway speeds.

I think the pollution excuse is bollocks anyway, the less time you spend in the 'zone' and on the road, the less pollution you are creating... obvs! Thumbs Up

Quote:
ir pollution in parts of Sheffield this April was double the legal limit. This means everyone – adults, children, babies – smoked the equivalent of a cigarette a day

Quote:
The Clean Air Zone focusses only on traffic-related pollution. Studies have found that as much as 90% of the day is spent indoors where the levels of some air pollutants are often higher than outside. And only 12% of PM emissions and 34% (80% roadside) of NOx emission are from traffic. Wouldn’t it be better to ban selling wood burners and solid fuels?

https://grantham.sheffield.ac.uk/air-pollution-in-sheffield/

These are just the easiest band aid 'fixes' I guess. I mean, I dont think going faster emits less than trying to achieve peak mpg at 60mph.

These limits are just poor solutions though really, frustrating to the population while probably having a negligible reduction in pollution in totality of the countries output.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:

Me now: Oh please don't do that me: him: colon thingy. It get's on my nerves that it is an appropriate way to comment on videos these days..
Laughing Laughing

10 years ago: Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've noticed the encroachment of that too - starting to get old now

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrexham has had a 50 on the A483 for a while now, because of pollution. Average speed camera's to enforce it. The biggest problem is people getting right up your chuff coming into it.

https://www.wrexham.com/news/a483-50mph-zone-to-be-made-permanent-next-month-local-am-says-she-does-50-but-people-overtake-all-the-time-170011.html

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a sign of things to come.

A local road heads towards a village, that's now a village in name only.

I remember when it was an NSL road. Then they reduced it to 50.
They built some really cramped little flats. The pub closed, and the proprietor sold the land to a developer. Then, yet more flats were built. I think the people who moved in there appreciated the greenery, and nice places to walk. At the time there was also a patch of common land, and horses would be left to graze there. The roads were lined with blackberry bushes.

Families moved in, and they spread out. A local school's capacity was increased, massively. Then, of course, they needed to cross the road. The speed limit was reduced to 40, and a traffic light for pedestrians was put in the middle, so that people could cross the road and access a park.

The common land, where the horses were, was then levelled. It was filled with builders and engineers, who installed smart motorway installations for the motorway alongside it. Lots and lots of traffic, and the road needed resurfacing. The council reduced half of it to 30mph, and installed speed bumps. The other half is still 40mph.

Needless to say, the place to which the road leads is just a seamless suburban sprawl now. It needs a sign to tell you it's a "village". This whole process took about 10 years.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/50mph-speed-limits-better-environment-20916327

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:40 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

That’s the one the OP was referring to.

Do I assume once all the sheeple have bought a white goods battery powered people-mover all the limits will go back up to 60/70 or even 80?

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:54 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all these nice 'Green' Eco friendly electric vehicles will be the ultimate solution eh?

Who's gonna tell them about this then.. that'll send 'em shuffling to their safe space.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/27/uks-nuclear-sites-costing-taxpayers-astronomical-sums-say-mps

Anybody with half a brain knows full well that nuclear IS NOT a 'clean' solution, with no cost, so for that little bit of power, the 'REAL' cost just goes on & on & on...

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Is this the sign of things to come? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Is this just Wales being Wales or do you reckon we are going to see 50mph limits brought in more and more on any roads other than motorways in the name of greenness and the nice little side effect of increased fines from strategically place 'safety' Rolling Eyes cameras.

NSL roads in Surrey were reduced to 50mph and then 40mph because.....of no accidents.

Locals think the location of Tory councillors houses to the roads are linked to decision. Who can say.....

But this happened 15 years ago.

Then I noticed it infected elsewhere. Wales. A44. Crash barriers appear, road drops from NSL to 30MPH

30!

And its obviously NSL previously (beyond just my memory), WIDE roads, LONG stretches, no builtup areas.

You think things suck. Then they get worse and you long for the previous levels of shite.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 30 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Is this the sign of things to come? Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

You think things suck. Then they get worse and you long for the previous levels of shite.

Not laughing about my rose-tinted specs now, are you? Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:34 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing about lowering speed limits is that it takes longer before you reach the traffic jam... Thinking Laughing

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillete-jeanues had the right idea, as soon as they wanted to make a fuss the first things to get vandalised were the speed cameras

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:19 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
We live in a democracy

So do North Koreans.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:48 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
We live in a democracy

So do North Koreans.

Technically we don't live in a democracy, we live in a pseudodemorcracy.

We get 13 votes (typically) in our lifetime. We get to vote for an MP to represent us and for close to half the population, we don't get represented because the person elected doesn't think the way we do about things.

Proportional representation is much more like a true democracy but tends to result in stalemate and hung parliaments.

The swiss, however, have referendums on just about everything up to and including the colour of the paving stones.

Now thats a true democracy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Technically we don't live in a democracy

Technically, we do. Whether certain things happen to weaken it or not is another question.
And be careful who you tell that referendums are very democratic Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the SNP are determined to make Scotland a "no-fun allowed" zone:

1. Making almost every 30mph a mandatory 20mph (more red circle 20's appear through Lanarkshire all the time),
2. Making national speed limit roads either 50mph or variable (mostly 50),
3. Minimum pricing alcohol to stop us drinking as much (already implemented but will likely be hiked up more),
4. Rob me of extra income tax with their sneaky 21%, 41% and 46% brackets that the rest of the UK don't have.

It's like they hate the people they govern and want us all to simply be obedient amorphous jellyfish flippy-flopping through life to their tune.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for the powers that be to reduce the National Speed Limit to 50 on all types of roads.

When that happens, I'm giving up the bike.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3