Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPZ 500 Exhaust gaskets, Nexus 2 into 1....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Clive50
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:04 - 03 Jul 2021    Post subject: GPZ 500 Exhaust gaskets, Nexus 2 into 1.... Reply with quote

Hi Guys, hope everyone is well and enjoying the lovely weather. Got home last night on the bike and noticed the left side is blowing at the exhaust port. Took the down pipe off this morning and the gasket is almost completely burnt away - hence the noise! Anyway, I can't remember a suitable gasket for this make/model of 2into1, anyone got any ideas please/recommendations/links?

Also noticed the "collars" for this exhaust are rotting out. I didn't need to replace these a few years back, but does anyone know where I can pick these up please? The pic attached shows the collar (on the left) I'm referring too, or whatever it's called!

Also, the clamps have severely rotted out and was wondering if anyone knows the correct size and order/links for these.

Thanks.

Clive[/img]

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 03 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. For exhaust gaskets, just pick a random set on Ebay. Search for "GPZ500 exhaust gaskets" and choose whichever.

About the exhaust collar (the one on the left in your pic). Motad used these one-piece round collars, and they are prone to rot. If you search hard, you may be able to find one. However, I doubt it. What you could do is try to make your own with a length of steel pipe, flaring out one end. The exhaust clamps: measure the inner diameter and just search Ebay for "heavy duty exhaust clamp" with that ID. The heavy duty ones you get on Ebay are better than what Motad used.

If you don't want to replace your exhaust system, you just need to come up with a creative solution for those rotting collars. Find out whatever the outer diameter of the downpipes is, and then you'll discover that lots of other bikes use the same diameter of pipe. With that information, look up "exhaust collars" or "exhaust collets" for those bikes, and find one that used half collets. Buy those half collets and trim and file them down to the same length as your one-piece Motad collar. Then use those half-collets instead.

Clive50
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:52 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, thanks.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:53 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy crushable copper ring exhaust gaskets by diameter. Far less prone to failure than the fibre sandwich type ones.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:27 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You can buy crushable copper ring exhaust gaskets by diameter. Far less prone to failure than the fibre sandwich type ones.

Alright, we're going to try that for the incoming CBR project after we finished installing the rack and bed cover from 4Wheelonline onto the truck this weekend. The bike needs to TLC including some frame and exhaust rust but still in great shape.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1