Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Struggling to find helmet for my chin!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:34 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Struggling to find helmet for my chin! Reply with quote

Hi all

Am returning to biking after a few years so need a new helmet.

Had great service at Sportbikeshop in Bristol but everyone I tried my chin was too close to the guard, about 1 finger width.

Tried flip up and full face but none had much room and Nolan N100-5 seemed the best, but still too close.

I'm no Jimmy Hill / Jay Leno and don't want to go open face so hoping someone could suggest some helmets with good chin room.

Cheers

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:43 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.redd.it/1f6qgp8jxjd11.jpg

if there's a gap there's a gap. What makes you think 1 finger gap is too small?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try AGV Helmets. My Compact ST has loads of room up front, It is my go helmet as I find my expensive Arai Quantum ST Pro and HJC RPHA 10 sports helmets claustrophobic.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enduro style ones give you massive amounts of chin room and are quite wearable on road bikes you could take the peak off it bothered you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but... same problem and tried many. Quantum st pro was a good helmet and I could get my mic in it and wasn't too close. Now discontinued but the quantic is apparently similar in shape. My rpha 11 is ok to commute in, as is my shark Spartan, but the chin bar is close but not annoying. I've gone and bought a ruroc atlas 2 which is quite roomy, but, if you don't know what size you need their online only ethos could be an issue. It fits like a shoei, and will definataly consider the 3 as my next lid. I use a Simpson dark side carbon in work and there's enough room for a boom mic and it's light and quiet for a flip. Have a bell eliminator and that's got chin room too. Tried on a scorpion exo tech yesterday and that was good too, just a size too smaall for me.
I would try adventure helmets too, my Agv ax9 is ok, but the bmw one I use in work is amazing and they have a trade in offer on at the moment.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these, The peak is removable.

https://www.agv.co.uk/agv-ax8-dual-evo.html
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
https://i.redd.it/1f6qgp8jxjd11.jpg

if there's a gap there's a gap. What makes you think 1 finger gap is too small?

Good point! Felt too close and when I mentioned it to the shop guy he thought it was too little gap so kind of took his lead I reckon.

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I would try AGV Helmets. My Compact ST has loads of room up front, It is my go helmet as I find my expensive Arai Quantum ST Pro and HJC RPHA 10 sports helmets claustrophobic.

Will have a look, thanks.

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:28 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Just my opinion, but... same problem and tried many. Quantum st pro was a good helmet and I could get my mic in it and wasn't too close. Now discontinued but the quantic is apparently similar in shape. My rpha 11 is ok to commute in, as is my shark Spartan, but the chin bar is close but not annoying. I've gone and bought a ruroc atlas 2 which is quite roomy, but, if you don't know what size you need their online only ethos could be an issue. It fits like a shoei, and will definataly consider the 3 as my next lid. I use a Simpson dark side carbon in work and there's enough room for a boom mic and it's light and quiet for a flip. Have a bell eliminator and that's got chin room too. Tried on a scorpion exo tech yesterday and that was good too, just a size too smaall for me.
I would try adventure helmets too, my Agv ax9 is ok, but the bmw one I use in work is amazing and they have a trade in offer on at the moment.

Thanks for suggestions, will have a look.
I used to have Shoei that fitted well so Ruroc is well worth a look.

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:29 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
I use one of these, The peak is removable.

https://www.agv.co.uk/agv-ax8-dual-evo.html

Thanks, will find one for a try on Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my ax8 with an ax9 as it now comes with a pinlock in the box.... and agv have some colourways on sale for 1/2 price.

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:20 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions and I've managed to find one that fits Very Happy

Started looking at the adventure helmets and now have a Nolan N70-2 GT, which has a removable chin piece which gives the room I need and has a nice wide view which is what I need as a returning rider.

Cheers

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:

Now that's a lot of helmets, well done.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuppe wrote:
Hi all

Started looking at the adventure helmets and now have a Nolan N70-2 GT, which has a removable chin piece which gives the room I need and has a nice wide view which is what I need as a returning rider.

Cheers

If you don't mind me saying that is pretty much teh Jimmy Hill of helmets..https://cdn2.louis.de/dynamic/articles/o_resize,w_1800,h_1800,m_limit,c_fff/b4.50.1d.H1NolanN702GTspezialAnthSchw21546741019.JPG

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a funny shape head.

Helmets always sit really low on me, like they're rotated too far forward. The top of the visor area sits on my eyebrows and the bottom of the visor sits below my nose. I basically end up looking out of the top inch or so of the visor even when sat bolt upright. If I racing-tuck I have to crane my neck at a mad angle to see anything at all Laughing

I have tried countless helmets over the years, honestly probably over 50 different models from every manufacture you can imagine. In the end I have learned to compromise and find the best possible fit I can with my funny shaped head taken into account.

Sounds like maybe you have to join me in that club Laughing

Actually as it goes, last time I bought a helmet I did eventually find one that fits better than any other helmet I have ever owned before. Still not perfect, it still sits too low on my eyes, but for the first time in near 15 years in the saddle I own a helmet that is actually genuinely all day comfortable and doesn't leave me with funny marks on my bonce. Hurrah!

Good luck in your endeavours, but sometimes you have to shrug and accept it if you're not quite cut with the same mould as the average person!

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:33 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Tuppe wrote:
Hi all

Cheers

If you don't mind me saying that is pretty much teh Jimmy Hill of helmets..https://cdn2.louis.de/dynamic/articles/o_resize,w_1800,h_1800,m_limit,c_fff/b4.50.1d.H1NolanN702GTspezialAnthSchw21546741019.JPG

Yup Laughing

Tuppe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:36 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I have a funny shape head.

Helmets always sit really low on me, like they're rotated too far forward. The top of the visor area sits on my eyebrows and the bottom of the visor sits below my nose. I basically end up looking out of the top inch or so of the visor even when sat bolt upright. If I racing-tuck I have to crane my neck at a mad angle to see anything at all Laughing

I have tried countless helmets over the years, honestly probably over 50 different models from every manufacture you can imagine. In the end I have learned to compromise and find the best possible fit I can with my funny shaped head taken into account.

Sounds like maybe you have to join me in that club Laughing

Actually as it goes, last time I bought a helmet I did eventually find one that fits better than any other helmet I have ever owned before. Still not perfect, it still sits too low on my eyes, but for the first time in near 15 years in the saddle I own a helmet that is actually genuinely all day comfortable and doesn't leave me with funny marks on my bonce. Hurrah!

Good luck in your endeavours, but sometimes you have to shrug and accept it if you're not quite cut with the same mould as the average person!

Who wants to be average eh Cool
N70 isn't perfect straight out of the box and sure it'll settle a bit, but also have lightened up a bit about how much gap I have for my chinny chin!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The n70gt also has a visor that sits low without the chin bar... I am hoping that when I try one it fits with a boom mic.... be good in the hot UK summer (for 3 days!)

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought an Arai Tour X4 and there is at least three miles from chin to chin bar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b47890af5cab1ca0a74bf3ed049bcad4/tenor.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1