Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Battery fail or something else..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Battery fail or something else.. Reply with quote

Last Sunday (not yesterday) I took the FZ 750 out for a quick jaunt. Picked up form storage started fine. traveled for petrol (3 miles) started again fine after, rode to my mates house 30 miles all good (switch light on to dip as others seems to have). Chatted for 1.5 hours went to start the bike - zippo fuel pump ticked but not enough juice to turn the motor even a little Confused

Initially thought I'd left the light on but I don't think its possible with key removed.

Jumped it to get going rode home fine. Tried again when home after another 30 miles (light off this time) still zippo. Jump started again and measured the charge volts - 13.9..

Hmm Took battery off and into work for a regulated charge using a PSU. Seemed to take the right amount of current - back on bike zippo again.

On the face of it battery seems fuked, but how come it happened so quick? With ignition on current draw is about 2.5 A which seems a lot but I guess could be just what the coils draw?

No problem with buying another batt but curious to know why it failed
and if there an issue cure it first('twas Yuasa Lead acid topped up between lines so not run dry)

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I believe batteries like regular charging cycles. Had the same issue with my dad's car that he drove a couple of times a year. Get a voltmeter across the battery and if you have around 14v going in at a few thousand revs, time for a new battery.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try charging it while ensuring its getting at least 13.5v
(chargers can fail y'know)
and leave it over night to settle indoors circa 20C
Read the standing voltage next day
Healthy batteries tend to show around 12.7V
12.4V ailing, 12V bad
It could also be a sulphated, broken or distorted plate inside which can give a voltage that looks ok but have no real discharge power when put to work, ie starting.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Try charging it while ensuring its getting at least 13.5v
(chargers can fail y'know)
and leave it over night to settle indoors circa 20C
Read the standing voltage next day
Healthy batteries tend to show around 12.7V
12.4V ailing, 12V bad
It could also be a sulphated, broken or distorted plate inside which can give a voltage that looks ok but have no real discharge power when put to work, ie starting.

Hi WD - yes did exactly that charged at current limited 1.5 A at 15V then after leaving overnight measured what I thought was a healthy 12.8. It seemed to be taking charge and delivering a lot of Hydrogen in the process so I was confident when I connected it yesterday it would turn over the engine. Perhaps I should also check starter motor for dirty contacts/brushes?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polo wrote:
Yeah I believe batteries like regular charging cycles. Had the same issue with my dad's car that he drove a couple of times a year. Get a voltmeter across the battery and if you have around 14v going in at a few thousand revs, time for a new battery.

Yes t was the way it would start one minute then not the next which has got me looking at other options the battery.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:22 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny things batteries, they either fail in the summer when its hot, or they fail in winter, which is when you would expect them to go .

Your experience mirriors my Mrs car .
Was a bit flat
charged all day
started fine next morning
went20 miles to the shops
2 hours later dead as fuck.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks back my CRF250 just stopped dead it could only run with larger car battery attached by jump leads even on charge was no good.
I suspected all sorts of issues mainly due the near instantaneous total failure but it was just the battery has been fine with it replaced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:53 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be reg/rec starting to fail. They don't always fail totally. They may work until they get hot, or they make still work a bit at low revs but not high if one of the shunts has failed.

You can try diagnosing with a multimeter, check the charging system hot and cold. Or if you are relying on the bike or don't mind spending the money, I would go for a new battery and a MOSFET reg/rec.

Cheap aftermarket reg/recs on ebay are very hit and miss. If you have another bike, you could borrow the reg/rec off that for testing.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Battery fail or something else.. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Last Sunday (not yesterday) I took the FZ 750 out for a quick jaunt. Picked up form storage started fine. traveled for petrol (3 miles) started again fine after, rode to my mates house 30 miles all good (switch light on to dip as others seems to have). Chatted for 1.5 hours went to start the bike - zippo fuel pump ticked but not enough juice to turn the motor even a little Confused

Initially thought I'd left the light on but I don't think its possible with key removed.

Jumped it to get going rode home fine. Tried again when home after another 30 miles (light off this time) still zippo. Jump started again and measured the charge volts - 13.9..

Hmm Took battery off and into work for a regulated charge using a PSU. Seemed to take the right amount of current - back on bike zippo again.

On the face of it battery seems fuked, but how come it happened so quick? With ignition on current draw is about 2.5 A which seems a lot but I guess could be just what the coils draw?

No problem with buying another batt but curious to know why it failed
and if there an issue cure it first('twas Yuasa Lead acid topped up between lines so not run dry)

Open Cell voltage doesn't tell much about the real state of the battery. Its a test.
The sure-fire only proper test is to use a high rate discharge tester.
They more of less short out the battery (simulating full load conditions such as when starting an engine) and show how much voltage it can maintain under that load.
The more modern posherer ones either provide a print out of stuff or have a panel that shows test results.

Don't listen to Any other cnut telling you about batteries they are simple things Really.
Made complicated by Edjits.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:16 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure The specific gravity with hydrometer. It should by your description show it to be flat.

Stick it in a trickle charge of about 1A no more (that bit is important), and check with hydrometer daily. After a coupe of days to a week, you should see it start to come up the scale of the hydrometer, after two weeks you should see a healthy reading, leave it charging till it shows fully charged. If nothing happens after two weeks, bin it.

This is where a 30V 4A voltage/current controlled PSU comes in handy, although I have used a 3 pin 12v accessory charger rated at 1500mA before.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries can and do fail that way. Measuring the off load voltage will show fairly normal readings but as soon as it's on load it'll drop drastically. It's caused by one or more cells failing high resistance. I had one on the GSF1200 a couple of years ago. I started it to warm it up, switched it off because I needed the key to get under the seat. The next press of the starter, nothing at all. Dead battery.

It's worth checking the charging output of course - just in case there's an underlying problem. Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Batteries can and do fail that way. Measuring the off load voltage will show fairly normal readings but as soon as it's on load it'll drop drastically. It's caused by one or more cells failing high resistance. I had one on the GSF1200 a couple of years ago. I started it to warm it up, switched it off because I needed the key to get under the seat. The next press of the starter, nothing at all. Dead battery.

It's worth checking the charging output of course - just in case there's an underlying problem. Thumbs Up

UPDATE:-

Since not desperately urgent I gave battery one last good charge and then monitored voltage drop during attempted start as suggested => 6V Shocked

New battery from Tayna deleivered next day => Vroom!

I am now more educated than two weeks ago. Thanks all.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1