Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Favourite bikes owned previously

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:14 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Favourite bikes owned previously Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm sure this had been asked before but I couldn't really see much by searching so . .

This question was asked by a mate earlier tonight,
"what's your favourite bike, ever, but not the type what your currently into & always playing with"?

I'll explain most people know I prefer small, single cylinder 2 strokes from the 80's/90's & early 2000's
Simply because I like their simplicity.
No valves,timing chains etc. & I can remove an engine & carry it single handed into the house..I mean workshop & strip it down & rebuild it in a day.
& some have power in excess of twice what 4 stroke bikes of similar capacity today are producing.

However if I had to pick a 4 stroke, I've owned, liked & regret selling & would probably buy another I'd have to say either :

The CCM604ds, single cylinder rotax, so left side kick start (I'm left handed)
It came with 2 sets of wheels : 17" alloys with road tyres & a set of 21/18" spoked off road tyres with knobblies.
A helluva lot of fun for not a lot of money. I'd buy another tomorrow if the prices hadn't climbed up so high.

Or Honda VFR 700 /750.
Mine was an American import so sleeved down to 700cc.
Lovely engine, completely over engineered but lasts for ever.
Single sided swing arm, so looked.... different but in a good way.
Capable of silly speeds but perfectly useable daily & a great tourer.
I done Skye & other islands with a tent strapped to the back & it coped admirably.

So what your favourites/recommendations?

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:28 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm? Favourite bikes that I’ve actually owned??
Not ones I’ve stolen? Shocked Laughing

Seriously: my ZX6R, that I still own to this day , I’ve had it for 19+ years now.
It’s quick and easy to ride.

Back in the day I owned more than a couple of Suzuki gt 250’s and I loved them.
Even a sausage fingered klutz like me could work on them and keep them going.

I had a Suzuki DR125 : it NEVER let me down .
My first bike that I went any real distance on .
West London to Southend or Portsmouth or Ipswich were real adventures.
Rose tinted glasses I know .
I wish I’d never sold that little DR125, although it might struggle a bit these days with a lump like me on board Shocked

Last edited by pepperami on 20:09 - 06 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old ratty 1991 ZZR. I think they are great allrounders but that one I put starship miles on, crashed it many, many times, rebuilt it as many times. The fondness isn't so much for the type (though they are good) but the memories of places it took me, stuff I learned fixing it, etc.

It never MOT'd again after I sold it, I flogged it to some scrote who wanted it because he was on an A2 and the logbook said it was a 400, though I'd shoved a 600 lump in there. Guessing he wrapped it round a tree.

The photo of it whipping a Busa off the line at Henstridge is still pride of place in my mancave Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:26 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I'd have back is my RGV250 VJ22.

{edit} Here's a pic {edit}

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img_8663.jpg

Last edited by MarJay on 09:23 - 06 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha FJ1200 3CV. I loved those bikes. I had 3 of them over the years, my favourite being the midnight black one.

https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/ha0419/ha0419-372394/images/2-1552407027353@2x.jpg?1554215731000

It was the bike that really drummed home to me how much I likes big heavy powerful bikes. Sort of a subtle muscle bike.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look back fondly on my steelie '93 CBR600F.

Here it is the day I bought it:

https://i.imgur.com/dOeCEGV.jpeg

The thing is, I think it is more to do with the age I was and personal circumstances more than it was the actual bike.

For me, I was 21, I had a super cool sounding il4 600cc rocketship, it ended up with a pillion seat cover, no pillion pegs, a really cool sounding exhaust, and no mirrors so it looked cool as fuck to me too.

I also I had no real fear (I hadn't yet had a serious crash), and I had no real adult responsibilities. Did I mention it sounded cool? I actually once made a child cry just by starting it up on my driveway. Bet my neighbours loved me Laughing

It was also the first bike I did any decent meet ups on, a load of BCFers met at the Ace back in 2011:

https://i.imgur.com/EPE06XA.jpg

So yeah, CBR600f for me, but more for the memories than anything particularly special about the bike. (other than it sounded really cool)

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily my K5 Gixxer 1000. Had a full ECU remap (including near zero engine braking), Yoshi can etc etc. Power curve was a flat 45 degrees on the dyno graph. Made mile long wheelies easy as anything Laughing Only time I didn't like it was having to do 6+ hours on a motorway. Comfortable all day otherwise as long as you were hitting up some corners.

My other favourite that I had use of but didn't own was the VFR1200. Engine on that is a beast.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have another Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo.
I know that today I'd find it heavy and poor handling, and much of the reason I want another is to do with the fact that it was my first proper big bike experience, so rose tints and all that, but...

Taken among its peers (and not just other factory turbo bikes, but performance machines generally), it really was a great bike, and of course the turbo made it a bit unique. But I also remember it being smooth and comfortable (I regularly did 200 mile plus trips loaded with luggage in all weather), reliable, never had a major breakdown, always started easily.

Loved its looks then, and in the standard colours, still do today. And I never got tired of how it delivered its power, that turbo rush. It was addictive winding on the throttle hard just in the sweet spot of the boost.

Yep, I know I'd be disappointed with one today from a ride point of view, but can't help still wanting another.

And another RG500 for the sheer madness factor.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like my last gen VFR750 back, it was a better bike than my current 3rd gen. As it happens, I still have it, forthcoming winter project!

I'd love to have my old motobeno 125 again (a re-badged minsk 125). Belarussian 2t single simplicity.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:47 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the one that got away was a Suzuki XN85 turbo. I bought it as a knackered, crashed, barely running heap. I then put some money into it and sold it as a knackered, crashed, barely running heap.

Now, many years later, I have the skills, tools and money to fix it.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bikepics.com/Pics-Web/2004/08/28/bikepics-202570-full.jpg

XJ900F - First big bike, will always have a soft spot for it and would happily have another.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bikepics.com/Pics-Web/2004/10/13/bikepics-227420-full.jpg

GPZ750R, with a GPZ1000RX engine. One of the bikes I sadly had to part with when I hit financial difficulties. The head wants another, but the performance would be wasted on me now, methinks.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy - KX500 Supermotard. About as different as my current VFR as you get. Doubt I could sling it around like I used to, it was hard work riding it even in my early 20's.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Seriously: my ZX6R, that I still own to this day , I’ve had it for 19+ years now.

Me too!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Easy - KX500 Supermotard. About as different as my current VFR as you get. Doubt I could sling it around like I used to, it was hard work riding it even in my early 20's.

yoink! I better that was monstrous.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Favourite bikes owned previously Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
So what your favourites/recommendations?

not actually sure i've got any - I mean, i've had two cb500s...but would I recommend them? Eh - not wholeheartedly.

I had a crm250 - that had its moments, but it was too uncomfy to be really recommendable

w650 looked nice but was - being brutally honest - a bit pants

cbr600f - nice and light, fast and accurate - but cramped with really annoying flat spots

zx9r c2 - roomy, comfy, really lovely gearbox, engine and fuelling - but prone to being a bit blind...rubber engine mounts do make for a plush, very smooth feel to proceedings, filters like a ferret, brilliant @ slow riding, will cruise at a 140 no sweat, it's just that it needs a better rider than me to really chuck it around - still, definite soft spot for these bikes, would recommend but probably say hmmm, surely there's something better these days

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:04 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first road bike was an NSR 125RK (twin round headlight jobbie). Had some great times on that bike as a yoof. Other bikes have come and gone but that one represented a freedom I had never experienced until then. Now I'm older and more wise I like to look back on those days. Can't really fault my 06 zx6r except it knacks my hips and knees after a while lol.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the CBR600F steelie!
A great all round bike, very easy to ride quickly, I never had any comfort issues but I believe mine had an aftert market seat on it!

Honourable mention for for the DRZ400E, an absolute hoot, more than capable for my off road needs. A particular favourite aspect was a total lack of rear grip on tarmac, especially with full on knobblies, always brought a smile to my face! Mr. Green

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

yoink! I better that was monstrous.

Oh yeah, easy to get away from you even if you were used to it. Epic hooligan tool. I don't dare buy another, even if the prices were sane, as it cost me a lot to get my license back, and I don't fancy it getting another Swansea holiday, which is a given, I have no self-restraint on one of those.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy. My bandit 400. Was my first big bike and I fucking loved it. I crashed it badly and ended up selling it.

I recently ended up buying it back again 20 years later.

I restored it, rode it to my brother in the lake district from Bristol. Then realised how slow and small it was.

It was a fun resto but once the rose tinted glasses had been removed it was shit.

I sold it as soon as I was home and bought Ohlins internals for the busa with the money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be my old R100RT. It took me (and my OH) all over the country effortlessly and never missed a beat. For sheer fun and lunacy I'd have to mention my Ossa 250 - that bike would go anywhere and put a grin on your face while doing so. Thumbs Up

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 11 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple 675

Excellent bike, owned around the right time (early 20's) did loads of rallies on it, went hooning with the lads, shame it was a bastard to work on and I discovered I don't like FI.

CBR 600 F1

Bit of a bargain buy, excellent sound, very analogue feel with reasonably good handling, no idea why I parted with it and the spare donor for next to nothing Sad

Varadero 125

First semi decent bike after an atrocious YBR, travelled far on it and got through my test, loved it (probably underpowered for me now).

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit of a difficult one as my favorites are what I currently have!

I really have a soft spot for two of my old Aprilias. The RS125 Full Power 2T and Tuono 1000 Fighter.

They had their faults believe me. The 125 was an absolute dog cosmetically, really needed a good refurb but it handled so incredibly well and was a quick little thing (33hp model). The Tuono was immaculate, sounded incredible, real animal but VERY twitchy handling and woeful (22mpg) fuel economy.

I'd still have either of them in a heartbeat however.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had a huge number of bikes, but I did like my Street Twin. It was at home burbling around on the lanes and B roads, riding the wave of low down torque. I shifted it because at the time, it wasn't practical enough - fitting throwover panniers was a royal pain and there wasn't even enough underseat storage to fit a disclock in. I quite miss it now though.

The Crossrunner I have now though is a pretty epic bike - it just does everything brilliantly.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Another vote for the CBR600F steelie!
A great all round bike, very easy to ride quickly, I never had any comfort issues but I believe mine had an aftert market seat on it!

And a third vote for the CBR:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51309223454_edb81dc264_c.jpg

Rev monster, wind it up and listen to it sing. All day comfortable, practical, cheap, easy to ride and feel instantly at home on.

My only gripe with it was that it was so competent and forgiving that you never really felt it was going to have a hand down your pants, rummaging for your testicles.

But I do miss it.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super Tenere 750, I loved that bike.
It was a wee bit too tall for me, super grunty and looked cool as fuck.
But I managed to get some boys to lower it for me, and hooned about all over the place on it.

It's all still in bits in my garden shed Crying or Very sad

I was looking at it across the garden fence with the senior consort on the weekend, he tutted mightily - proclaiming that as I had neglected to stuff the carbs with rags when putting it in there, it would be totally fucked and unrestorable now.

So he reckons I should offer it out to someone - (who may or may not be another consort) that has contemplated stripping it for a project, but is too idle to come to London to pick it up - and reckons that if nobody comes to get it, then I should give it to the scrap dealer.

I keep thinking that as I now have two working roadworthy(ish) bikes, and as I am getting older and slowing down, there might come a time when I just want to sit still and unpick what I can of it, in my own time ... but tiresomely ... I don't seem to want to sit still yet Laughing

I have a fantasy/horror scenario whereby my mother gets sick and I have to go home to NZ to look after her, so I would throw it all into a container and send it home to dick about with at my leisure.

But yeahhhhh ... would I?
Folded arms
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3